Seek music folder reconciliation utility
Jun 17, 2005 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jhenderson010759

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a Windows utility to reconcile my music folders, which are maintained in dual formats.

One directory contains files with the .flac extension, and another directory contains files with the .mp3 extension, but otherwise the filenames are identical. For a variety of reasons, the MP3 folder may contain files without corresponding FLACs.

I would like to be able to delete those .MP3 files which do not have a corresponding .FLAC.

Any suggestions?

Jun 19, 2005 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't think there is a tool out there that will do what you are looking for. But I would suggest this in it's absence:

Create a new folder, named for our purposes: BigFolder
Move the directory with the flac files into BigFolder
Move the directory with the mp3 files into BigFolder

Select the BigFolder directory.
Right click on it and select "Search".
Use the standard *.* for items to search for to select all files.
Sort the final list by file name.
Voila!
Delete the mp3 files that do not have a corresponding flac.

This is highly manual, and will likely require some extra time to complete. But after working your way down the list, it wll become very obvious which files have duplicates and which do not.

Hope that is close to what you were looking for.

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 3
I don't know of any porgram that can do what you're after.

This is certanly something that you would be able to write a script in python or something similar to peform for you. (See http://python.org/ it's not that hard to learn). You could probably even do it with a batch file.

It really depends how big a collection of music you're sorting through, if it's not too large you could do it manually as the guy above me suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back