Seeing sound
Jan 22, 2002 at 9:26 PM Post #34 of 41
Oh, you guys are talking about oscilliscopes and spectrum analyzers. :rollseyes: I wouldn't mind having a hardware one, but I like the full screen one that comes with Winamp(Nullsoft Tiny Fullscreen).

Jan 22, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #35 of 41
flasken,
it takes practice. it took me a few tries before i got it right. repeating "one" after you exhale is a way to help clear your mind and focus. you can choose other words like "ascend", "om" or whatever you want.

i forgot to mention digestion interrupts the effect, so make sure you haven't eaten anything within two hours of trying it. you also need to try to relax all of your muscles, and adopt a passive state of mind. also, drinking or drugs lessens the effect too. i found i could get amazing colorbursts behind my eyes, a little like when you rub your eyes too hard, but much more colorful and full of images and shapes. also, over time you may feel like you are 100 feet tall, or are floating above your body, or you might experience euphoria. the key for seeing the colors is having ONE light source off to the side, not in front of you.

and don't forget to use the force.

jedi master redshifter out.

Jan 23, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
..these aren't the headphones you're looking for...
</star wars>

THESE ARENT the headphone I'm looking for...

Move along...

MOVE ALONG!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 3:02 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me
shifter - lofl, you goofy a** cahoot.

I believe he was serious in the first two paragraphs. And I believe the word you are looking for is "hippy".

Another thing to try is "phosphenes" (those lights you see when you rub your eyes). The abstract patterns provided by phosphenes (and ant races for that matter) automatically allow the mind to associate rhythmic patterns in the music with random rhythmic motion in the ...erm... random motion. Unfortunately, they're typically red-ish hued (or b&w, in the case of ant races). But it does get one started. The next step would be to be Zen about it. Have you ever seen a hollusion? Look for them in the ant races (less painful in the long run) while listening to music. Once the 3-D objects begin to come and go, start "painting" them. It'll be happening so quickly, that you'll have to pick colours subconsciously, so sound/colour associations will begin to repeat automatically.

Another thing to try is the other way around. Go through the colours (use a box of Crayolas as a guide). Hold the crayon. Contemplate the crayon. Then, try to think of the perfect sound associated with that colour. Repeat for next crayon. When you finish the box, listen to music, and tell us what happens.

Caveat: if you are taken away to the mental institution, I am not responsible.

Jan 23, 2002 at 12:40 PM Post #40 of 41
Meditation and clearing ones head of thoughts is very good for you,this business of altered states opens up a very interesting
subject under the right circumstances and with practice lucid
dreaming is possible and then you get more than just colours,
whole worlds!
Music is not required for this[or drugs!] but can help or color your
experience.
One of my reasons for my headphone passion[if not the original]
is that in a dark quiet enviroment the altered state can be quite
unique,loudspeakers can obviously do similar if you can use them
in a selfish uninterupted guilt free maner!

smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2002 at 5:33 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
flasken,
it takes practice. it took me a few tries before i got it right. repeating "one" after you exhale is a way to help clear your mind and focus. you can choose other words like "ascend", "om" or whatever you want.

good way to go to sleep too, although I can hardly ever keep it up long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back