Security Systems at Low Temperatures?
Jan 4, 2006 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

blip

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a bit of a problem... For a little added piece of mind I've always put motion sensors inside the doors of my appartments... The problem is that the DiMango ones that worked great in Oregon seem to be totally destroyed by the cold of Chicago.

Anyone else have this problem? I've been thinking about replacing them with a small X10 system but I'm afraid that the cold will destroy them as well... Anyone have experience with X10 at low temps... or another suggestion for a small, non-monitored system?

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 3
Hey Blip, you are probably using Passive IR's which are not useful in colder environments and will false if turned up in sens.. I would consider better door contacts (narrow gap) and glassbreak detectors that could also double as window contacts. You really need to have a security survey done to get this sort of thing right, and your space may be more eligible for the video-based motion detectors built-into video cameras (IP-based), which will greatly reduce the complexity of wiring and give you the added benefit of video (as long as you keep some lights on).

If you want more specifics you can PM me with your details (as to your specific layout) and I'll recommend a security solution.

Jan 4, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
If you want more specifics you can PM me with your details (as to your specific layout) and I'll recommend a security solution.

Steve, I'm sure you are trying to help and I would trust you but that is kind of infomation would be bad in the wrong hands. As far as I know you could be a criminal looking for a easy house to break into. I would be careful telling people to much about home plans and security systems.

But I bet I'm just paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back