Second update (need opinions): my mom is about to get UE-11s
Jan 28, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #31 of 123
freaking awesome !

My father is pretty much the same. He doesn'l like customs, but when I showed him the stax sr 007 system on a meet - he decided to buy it sponaneously
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #32 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwangSDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you want Super fi's when you have UE-11?

I don't have them already, that's what I asked for for when I graduate, but if you've seen any of my recent posts you know i've been lusting bad for a pair of Super.fi 5 Pro's, and being 16, driving a car (that has 35mpg) but still only enough to fill it to 3/4 full every two weeks, it's really hard for me to get spending money, plus I live in the worst town in the world, where it takes a year to get a job...

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #33 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have them already, that's what I asked for for when I graduate, but if you've seen any of my recent posts you know i've been lusting bad for a pair of Super.fi 5 Pro's, and being 16, driving a car (that has 35mpg) but still only enough to fill it to 3/4 full every two weeks, it's really hard for me to get spending money, plus I live in the worst town in the world, where it takes a year to get a job...

Sorry I don't keep up with your life (not being sarcastic). I remember wanting to buy a ton of things when I was that age, I spent(wasted) all my money on the newest MD player whenever one came out...it was quite a joy, haha. You might wanna look @ E4c's, I have a spare pair somewhere and I found that much like most things in life, even the lower tier things have their benefits. I dont' have my UE-11's yet but even with my E500's I still find myself using my E4c's once in a while, my MDR-E888's, and my EX71's.

(The E4c's are "cheap" you can get them for like $160)

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1,200? Take away two zeros and you got "overpriced". But with universals there's no way whoever would know the difference.

Sorry, not quite following. $12 overpriced for the UE11? Head-fi may be out of your element perhaps. Maybe your trying to say no one will think that universals are overpriced by looking at them whereas its obvious with customs? I think most would know the difference in sound.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #36 of 123
Nice! It's awesome how your mother can level with you and have the same interest as you do.

I convinced my initial non-believer coworker to finally get UE customs since I got him hooked on the Shure E500s.

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwangSDC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry I don't keep up with your life (not being sarcastic). I remember wanting to buy a ton of things when I was that age, I spent(wasted) all my money on the newest MD player whenever one came out...it was quite a joy, haha. You might wanna look @ E4c's, I have a spare pair somewhere and I found that much like most things in life, even the lower tier things have their benefits. I dont' have my UE-11's yet but even with my E500's I still find myself using my E4c's once in a while, my MDR-E888's, and my EX71's.

(The E4c's are "cheap" you can get them for like $160)

lol, I would love to buy all the IEM's I want, but I have no money..unless you would be willing to let me have them
biggrin.gif
:verybigsmile:

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #38 of 123
Wow. Luckiest. Guy. Ever. It took me what, 10 years to get my mother to even learn how to email people (which by the way she's addicted to now). And your mom is converted and ready to drop that much on UE11's in THAT short time?!

Jan 29, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #42 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, not quite following. $12 overpriced for the UE11? Head-fi may be out of your element perhaps. Maybe your trying to say no one will think that universals are overpriced by looking at them whereas its obvious with customs? I think most would know the difference in sound.

I'm saying "overpriced" as in my mom would never see the point in anything above what you get with your ipod or at a dollar store. And the thing about universals is that to others they wouldn't question how much you paid for them whereas customs don't look like cheap noisemakers at all. They look more like "equipment" or a "device". you misunderstood. Why would I think $12 is overpriced for ue11? I mean, I'm here aren't I?

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #43 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm saying "overpriced" as in my mom would never see the point in anything above what you get with your ipod or at a dollar store. And the thing about universals is that to others they wouldn't question how much you paid for them whereas customs don't look like cheap noisemakers at all. They look more like "equipment" or a "device". you misunderstood. Why would I think $12 is overpriced for ue11? I mean, I'm here aren't I?

Luckily, my parents are pretty supportive. They have heard other stuff I have put together and really enjoyed it. They wouldn't spend the money themselves, but they appreciate that I worked for it.

$1200 is extroadinary for non collector headphones that you can't resell. I just love them and keep them special to myself. Music is always a luxury, one that we often take for granted.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 123
any update?

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #45 of 123
Hey go easy on my mother, will ya.

Anyways, thanks for the response, guys! This whole thing really is like a dream come true for me, who have been wanting UE-customs for so long.

Ok so we went to the audiologist today, a really nice woman who had never heard of the UE-company before, which is strange because I think another swedish head-fier just got impressions for a set of UE-11. She was very interested about this company when I told her about it, so I gave her the website and she said she would check it out immediately.

Anyway, turns out that my mom couldn't do the impressions today because of a small piece of wax deeper down her ear canal. She is going to the doctor tomorrow morning to flush it out and then call the audiologist again to make a new appointment this week. I am waiting for her to do her impressions so we can send them both in at the same time to save shipping costs.

My impressions look well-made, and they go extremely deep. The audiologist said she had a new high viscosity silicone material which expands when it hardens. They didn't have a bite block so I just put two fingers in my mouth instead.

I asked Brad for a translucent black color with the UE-logo on it. I told them to make the color slightly darker than smokey black, but still clear enough to see the internals with proper lighting, and without the hearing aid-look the clear has.

My mom went for plain black with a golden horse on it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back