Second shoe drops: MS to follow Apple lead... DRM-free
Apr 9, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But CD's are w/o DRM, right ?
And are LOSSLESS the way you like IT, right ?

who said they weren't?

my point is, bill gates' solution was "don't use my service, find yourself another way". steve jobs' was "we need to fix this and here is how we can do it".

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree this is good for consumers. The question becomes which format to become locked into.

Looks like the choices will be AAC vs. WMV.

well I know you meant wma, but in this situation I think the answer, for now, would be to adopt AAC. I say this as a Zune user, but I'd still go for AAC through iTunes because 1) iTunes is free so you can run it even if you don't have an ipod, and 2) the Zune supports AAC while the ipod does not support WMA. If you can get drm-free AAC from iTunes, you don't have to "lock into" one device or the other. Of course if M$ Zune someday took the lead from ipod there's a chance they'd drop AAC support, but I doubt it because then people like me would get pi$$ed and go back to ipod.

I already made the switch to AAC when I learned the Zune supports it ... cross-platform compatibility and a good format to boot.

Apr 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple isn't a leader in gapless. Sony has had gapless players for years.

I know. Reason I bought a HD3 way back when. But Sony are not really that influential portable DAP wise, save for also being a music label. What Apple do though, others must be seen to also do to "be in touch"
smily_headphones1.gif
Apple also have the influence as they are the biggest player.

Apr 9, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #20 of 23
Apr 9, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #21 of 23
ricardo, maybe something is being lost in translation, but febs asked for links proving that emi decided to offer drm free music without any influence from steve jobs. nothing you linked to proved that. in fact, all of them mentioned apple's part (weakening your claim). in addition, links two and three are the same.

Apr 10, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure he meant WMA.

Thanks brain to finger link breaks sometimes.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #23 of 23
@zip22

EMI has taken a huge step forward in the fight against digital rights management (DRM). The company announced today that its entire digital music library will be available with higher quality audio and will also be free of DRM.

The company first began tinkering with DRM-free music files in early December. At that time, EMI offered DRM-free music tracks by Lily Allen, Norah Jones and Relient K though Yahoo! Music.

At http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+EMI+A...rticle6739.htm

In a move aimed at pleasing users, EMI Music has announced that it is offering music tracks through the Yahoo! Music service with no restrictive digital rights management (DRM) technology. EMI is offering tracks from Norah Jones and Relient K for $0.99 through Yahoo! Music.

at http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5294

CARAMBA...READ IT. AGAIN !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back