Second RS-1. This time it's vintage.
Feb 14, 2009 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

RockCity

1000+ Head-Fier
Since vintage is all the rage these days, I bought another pair of RS-1, which came today.

Backstory. A month ago I inquired the seller about his pair. Interestingly, he said he bought these directly from Joe Grado about seven years ago. I thought he meant John Grado, who introduced the RS-1, but he assured me it was Joe, the founder of the company. Unfortunately, I, myself, have no proof whether this could be true or not. Furthermore, he answered he did not receive a box (or anything) from Joe, but in lieu he provided me a vintage sr80 cardboard box from one of his other models. He also included an 1/8 adapter which I suspected he later bought.

I already have a RS-1 that was made in 2003. I would like to think that the one I have is one of the finest examples of the RS-1s because there are no late-Friday characteristics. The wood grain is perfectly directional, buttons and grill are perfecty aligned, and the wood tone is naturally dark. Also these were purchased directly from Grado Labs NY with no serial numbers on the housing. (As if that matters.)

The new or should I say mega-old RS-1 is different in all the observed characteristics: Gold L/R Letterings, metal post stoppers, Italic font, black mesh, and the conspicuous red/violet drivers. The odd-man out is the leather hand, which as tradition goes, should be brown. Instead it's black, but wait- the top band is a very rigid leather piece, contrasted below with a thicker soft padded leather. It would have been nice if it completed all the stereotypes, but I'm satisfied with the key ones. I should also note they came with the flat pads, which are glued to the cups with pure malice.

Upon arrival inspection, they seem unused. My conclusions are based on the wear of the plug, the grip, and the headband position.

Since, I blasted my time writing this post instead of listening to them, I will save my shortest comment for sound. It is very different than the Grado we know today. I only wish I discovered this part of the world earlier.

(Pictures from seller)

Feb 14, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 15
Those are sick, post full impressions...

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 15
Congrats! I would love a pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 15
Congrats! They should sound much more balanced than the new ones. They are in great shape... a very good find.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 15
These look great. I have a more recent pair (buttonless), but the wood is darker like the old models. They sound fantastic, but look forward to hearing your opinions.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike6502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lurve my 325is. The comfort issues are greatly overstated imo; the pads soften considerably over time. The stock sound is excellent, but remember to try taping the bowls if you want a little more bass.

or wearing flats.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike6502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lurve my 325is (good thing). The comfort issues are greatly overstated imo; the pads soften considerably over time. The stock sound is excellent, but remember to try taping the bowls if you want a little more bass.

Err, I completely meant to post this in a different thread. Damn multiple windows.
tongue.gif
I suppose I could just pretend it's relevant to this discussion. BTW, nice looking RS-1s.

Feb 14, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 15
My impressions coincide the others out there. For lack of new words, the old Grado was born before treble became the RS-1's calling card. My greatest realization is in the mid-range. It balances well with the bottom frequency, creating a smooth and full bodied characteristic. In comparison, I feel the new RS-1 has two peaks, treble and base, and a small valley in the mid. The outcoming sound is what has been known as punchy and sharp. However, I am one of the few people who would call it thin. The old Grado just sounds smooth, which I'll say again. It's always easy to pick out flaws when they are forward and center stage, however, in this case things are even (or equally flawed).

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #12 of 15
Nice pair
smily_headphones1.gif
My pair is also rather odd with brown headband, wooden box, metal post stoppers, half-circle cut out in metal ring, mesh which darkens with age (instead of the mesh that stays white on my '08 pair) BUT silver lettering instead of gold. It came in a wooden box also.

Do you use bowls or flats mostly?

Feb 14, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #13 of 15
Flats since they're glued on. Call me crazy, but I just set the two side by side and the newer RS-1 has a deeper chamber than the old. It's hard to do a level comparison since I can't take off the pads, but I put on flats on both.

Feb 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flats since they're glued on. Call me crazy, but I just set the two side by side and the newer RS-1 has a deeper chamber than the old. It's hard to do a level comparison since I can't take off the pads, but I put on flats on both.

My measurements:

Vintage:
Outer diameter: 6.0 cm
Inner diameter: 3.8 cm
Hight: 3.95 cm

Buttonless 08:
Outer diameter: 5.9 cm
Inner diameter: 3.75 cm
Hight: 3.95 cm

At first it did look like the 08 was smaller, but the measurements say otherwise.

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are not actually glued on , they are stuck to the varnish & can be removed with care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back