Second Part of the GS-1000 review is up
Dec 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Because of the lost subscriptions, I'm linking to the review Scroll down the first post. Look for PART II
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 13
A most excellent part 2 to your review Zanth, and well worth the wait I'm sure. Being fairly new here I didn't have to suffer nearly as long as some of the other's.

After reading that from start to finish I almost instantly want to go order some GS1000's, while continuing to save and keep an eye out for some HP2's and PS1's. I love my RS1's but now know that I will eventually have to own the rest of the high end and experience them for myself. Thank you for corrupting me.

I'm curious to know one thing though. Which one, out of these four, do you feel portrays piano better than the other's? Any preference?

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for a wonderful review man, I couldnt agree more. However some things still questionable.

Right now I am listening to GS1000 and PS1 using GS1k pads and I am just shocked how close these two are
cool.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A most excellent part 2 to your review Zanth, and well worth the wait I'm sure. Being fairly new here I didn't have to suffer nearly as long as some of the other's.

After reading that from start to finish I almost instantly want to go order some GS1000's, while continuing to save and keep an eye out for some HP2's and PS1's. I love my RS1's but now know that I will eventually have to own the rest of the high end and experience them for myself. Thank you for corrupting me.

I'm curious to know one thing though. Which one, out of these four, do you feel portrays piano better than the other's? Any preference?

Thanks for the kind words guys.

For piano, I would likely choose the GS-1000's. Generally solo piano is done in a large hall and the acoustics would really benefit from the larger sound of the GS-1000's. Jazz piano, I would go for the RS-1's. If you had the pic of any of the phones though, GS-1000 first still, the the PS-1's.

As for the PS-1's with superbowls sounding a lot like the GS-1000's, I think the PS-1's lose some heft in the bass and the treble sounds muted and subdued in comparison, also I personally still find the GS-1000's to be a drier sound than the PS-1's, no matter what the pads, the PS-1's have that magic liquid nature.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 13
That's crazy. I can't agree with some things said, but this may explain why:
"my own gear which I have painstakingly tuned for Grados."

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 13
I think GS1000 offers more clarity, which what you call drier, I guess. The smothness of PS1 doesnt pleased my needs of extended highs. Also found GS1000 sound more alive or real than PS1, especially drums.
I dont know why, but after I tried PS1 with superbowls I just couldnt back to their original pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the kind words guys.

For piano, I would likely choose the GS-1000's. G
enerally solo piano is done in a large hall and the acoustics would really benefit from the larger sound of the GS-1000's. Jazz piano, I would go for the RS-1's. If you had the pic of any of the phones though, GS-1000 first still, the the PS-1's.

As for the PS-1's with superbowls sounding a lot like the GS-1000's, I think the PS-1's lose some heft in the bass and the treble sounds muted and subdued in comparison, also I personally still find the GS-1000's to be a drier sound than the PS-1's, no matter what the pads, the PS-1's have that magic liquid nature.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's crazy. I can't agree with some things said, but this may explain why:
"my own gear which I have painstakingly tuned for Grados."

Yeah no doubt at all. I mean, HP4 and the tubes I use are awesome for GS-1000 and RS-1's. The Melos which is heralded as the be all and end all for HP-1000's is also extraordinary for PS-1's. This helps a lot. I tried to source out the best amps to do the job and then tube rolled them to get even more from them. If I were including some Sennheisers I'd try to get my hands on a Blockhead, or if some K1000's a Cary 300 SEI. R10's, a maxed out Supra etc.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks for the review Zanth. It was a very enjoyable read. I find myself agreeing with just about everything you said (which may or may not be related to the previous sentence
tongue.gif
).

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Great Part II Zanth! Glad things settled down for you enough that you were able to finally get around to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm currently Grado-less though and this doesn't help me at all. Reading this is really making me miss my Grados. Hopefully at some point I'll be able to justify owning all of my past faves again.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 13
I just read through that whole thing again and....awesome! You really did a fantastic job reviewing all of those with great depth. I feel like I've heard all those Grado's that I haven't.

Thanks again Zanth.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks Zanth. Another masterpiece, as usual.

I'm picking up the GS1000 pads tomorrow and will tweak the vent on the drivers (of one of the Grados) and see how things work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back