Second pair of Headphones. Looking for Advice
Apr 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

miyinan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am only new to headphone stuffs. I have a pair of MS1i and I love it. Since somehow recently I feel like getting another pair of phone, I am wondering what would be the best for me to get.

Sound preference and budget:
I want to try something different. Something that has different sound signature than Grado/Alessandro’s but still falls in the same price range ($100 or under would be best, but maximum $150).

Source and amplification:
I don’t have a dedicated amp but do have an uDac as a dac/amp combo for my laptop setup and I think it is enough to drive my MS1i (to my ear). Although I do plan to invest in some better amp later, I want this headphone to be ease to drive (at lease the uDac could drive it well).

Music and purpose:
I mainly listen to rock music (children of bodom and nightwish stuffs), maybe a little bit pop but absolutely no classic music. Also, this headphone is gonna be just for music since I don’t play games and have a Bose around ear for movies.

Candidates:
I have looked a few phones which I can get for new or used at my budget mentioned above. Here are the phones: AKG K240/K240MKII, ATH-AD700, Denon D1001 and Sennheiser 555/595. The only closed phone among these is the Denon (K240 is semi-closed too). I do not have much preference between close and open phones since I only have heard from my MS1i. Although I don't mind if I buy an used and it comes with mod (as long as it is proper), I don't plan to do any mod if I buy them brand new or stock.

Question:
Okay, I think I’d better end this now cuz it might be too long to read now
smily_headphones1.gif
. Anyways, I am looking for advices from you guys. Which one will be the best for me? Or name it if you have some other phones in mind. Or do you think that it will be better for me to invest the same amount of money on a better dac or amp rather than another phone? If so, which one(s)?

(P.S. if you have any of these for sale, send me a PM
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks so much
smily_headphones1.gif

Lee

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 18
Audio Technica's ATH-M50's beat any headphone you have listed there. I tried them all, the M50's have great bass as well as a balanced sound. Denons are pretty good, I think if your going to get them your better off getting the D2001 model (It is a lot more but a lot better). So my suggestion for $100-$150 is AT M50's.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 18
Denon D2000?

Other considerations: ATH-ES7, ATH-A900 (Closed), Sony V7506.

However, I would suggest investing in better DAC/Amp before purchasing your second pair. I have an Alessandro MS1i and it benefits from good amps that I don't think you'd need the second pair if not for better comfort.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abovetheair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica's ATH-M50's beat any headphone you have listed there. I tried them all, the M50's have great bass as well as a balanced sound. Denons are pretty good, I think if your going to get them your better off getting the D2001 model (It is a lot more but a lot better). So my suggestion for $100-$150 is AT M50's.

Thanks, I will have a look at both of them. I like the look of the D2001 better though
dt880smile.png

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by novice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get Denon D2000, it complements your Alessandro nicely.

Other considerations: ATH-ES7, ATH-A900 (Closed), Sony V7506. Sennheisers will need more juice, let alone AKGs.

However, I would suggest investing in better DAC/Amp before purchasing your second pair. I have an Alessandro MS1i and it benefits from good amps that I don't think you'd need the second pair if not for better comfort.

Thanks novice,

Okay, so all sennheisers and akg are off from the list now. It seems that Denon and ATH is the way to go.

What is your sugguestion for a better dac/amp at this price ($150)? I really like the look of the hifiman ef2 (dac/amp combo). I probably can get it for $150 used. Also, the Bravo audio tube amp ($60) looks good too. Are they any good? Will they get alone with my uDac?
dt880smile.png
The problem is that I don't want to throw away my uDac now cuz I only bought it for 3 weeks and I love it. So maybe a stand alone amp just to utilize the uDac? Any suggestion?

Thanks again

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably stretching your budget a bit (165$) but may be well worth it - Shure SRH840.
There is one used in the Classified section for 130$.

Thanks audiofil

The only real headphone that I could possibly get from local futureshops is the shures (im in Canada). I will probably go there and try them out first.
atsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 18
how is the amp section in the uDac though? I thought it was good enough to drive my MS1i. isn't it?

Anyways, back to the phones, guys. Something that my uDac could drive properly, please. The ATH M50 looks not bad. Anything else?

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably stretching your budget a bit (165$) but may be well worth it - Shure SRH840.
There is one used in the Classified section for 130$.

Pretty sure Shure SRH840 are the one you can call J&R and offer $130 for and they will sell 'em to you.

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by miyinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your sugguestion for a better dac/amp at this price ($150)? I really like the look of the hifiman ef2 (dac/amp combo). I probably can get it for $150 used. Also, the Bravo audio tube amp ($60) looks good too. Are they any good? Will they get alone with my uDac?
dt880smile.png
The problem is that I don't want to throw away my uDac now cuz I only bought it for 3 weeks and I love it. So maybe a stand alone amp just to utilize the uDac? Any suggestion?

Thanks again

uDac is a USB-powered DAC. Its power is not going to be more than what it naturally is. If you like NuForce then you should upgrade to NuForce Icon, or, yes, stand alone amp. Else, how about holding your horses for a while and save more for better equipment? $150 amp (new or used) is not taking you to a whole different level than what you already have on hand. Furthermore, Alessandro MS1i + uDac shouldn't sound so bad that you need immediate upgrade. In fact, with MS1's versatility, I really doubt you'll like your second pair that much the minute you get it (if not for comfort). Plan well your purchase =)

If you just got your uDac for 3 weeks then that even adds more reason to save more for a much better equipment
wink_face.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks guys. I think I will defer the purchase for a while, read a little more and may at least try the shure 840 at futureshop as I have heard a lot of good things about it from people.

novice: If later on I go ahead and invest in an amp, do you have any suggestions on what I should get? Should I buy a stand alone amp that will utilize the udac and feed my MS1i better? or should I replace the udac with a better dac/amp combo? I just read about the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1, it looks pretty good. At $200, do you think the Maverick D1 would be a proper upgrade for me?

Thanks

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by miyinan
Is D2000 worth the extra dollars? (compare to ATH M50). Just read a few threads about D2000. Will the uDac enough to drive them?

I have a pair of D2000's and really enjoy them. I can't give any comparisons with the M50 though as I haven't heard the latter. I also don't have an amp but I've heard of some people pairing a Little Dot 1+ with a uDac and they seem pleased with it. I've not heard it yet so I can't really comment on it. FWIR Denons benefit more from a SS amp than a tube amp. I've heard the EF2 drives them pretty well too. You can check out the Denon Appreciation thread for more info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back