second pair of cans for semi-portable use
Mar 4, 2004 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Scholarlymonk

Head-Fier
I have Eggo d66's now and run then with an iPod.
Mostly listening to Rock and Jazz and Instrumental Rock
Bought koss 35, but i like cans.
And now i'm deciding between:
1. Sony V6s or Sony MDRV600 (are they the same)
2. Grados Sr-80s

Please lend me your expertise.
Monk

Mar 4, 2004 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Scholarlymonk
1. Sony V6s or Sony MDRV600 (are they the same)

not at all. but to what kind of music do you usually listen?

Mar 4, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Are you at any places where sound leak is a problem? For example, do you take it to work, or library, some environment where your music will become disturbing to others?

SR-80's are very nice, but they offer no isolation at all, and leak almost as much sound outwards as it plays to you inward. I would pick SR-80's over V6 if that is not an issue.

V6 offers very little isolation as well (but more than SR-80), however, the sound doesn't leak nearly as much, and they can be used in an environment such as library or work to a degree.

V600 is completely different set of cans... they have a muddy sound with exaggerated bass, they are also much bigger physically. Thicker headbands and bigger earcups, which are both unnecessary, but impressive for the consumer market, I suppose. However, I did find V600's sound much less fatiguing for long listening sessions as compared to the V6, which can be very bright and sharp after a while.

Both the V6 and the SR-80 can be considered bright cans though.

Mar 4, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 11
i usually listen to the phones while working in a coffee shop or in the library, but not at high volumes.
I just want a pair of heaphones around a hundred buckes that will really sound great clear and punchy out of an unampted iPod.

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 11
V6 is probably still the better choice in that regard.. you'll be amazed at how much sound Grado headphones (all of them) leak... and in a coffee shop/library environment, you're bound to draw a lot of cold stares.

Especially when you put on your favorite Babara Streisand album.. (com'on.. I know you've got some.. I just know it!)

Mar 4, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 11
Or even worse, Michael Bolton bellowing out of your Grados.

There's no doubting that Grados sound great for the money, especially in the US... although over here with the SR80 at £100 and the leading $200-ish closed monitor phones being also about the same (or even cheaper) the situation is a little different. It's just htey leak too much in both directions to be useful outside.

The V6 are very robust for travelling purposes, and they do offer some isolation. If you can, of course the best thing is to try both... but I would vote for the V6. You can always switch on the Treble Reducer on the iPod if the brightness bothers you.

Mar 5, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 11
I've tried a bunch of different closed cans for my iPod before stumbling upon a pair of Senn HD25-1's. For me, they are THE best match for the iPod. They have great isolation - I can listen to them in bed at a decent volume and my wife can't hear it and are very efficient with a weak source. They are fairly light and compact, but built like a tank. I also like their slightly funky look. The only negative - be prepared for some serious head-clamping force for a while until they're broken in. I paid about $150 bucks - a little more than you want to spend, but they're worth it.

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 11
They leak a *LOT*... it's like having speakers facing outwards. The person sitting two tables away from you in a coffee shop will be able to hear your music.

HD25-1 does indeed sound like a nice solution, but they're way outside the price range of the other headphones mentioned here, aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back