second opinion?
Feb 11, 2008 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

eiop

Head-Fier
First off, let me say that Head-Fi = bankbreaker
frown.gif
. I've spent WAY too much in the two weeks I've joined this forum. What lead me to this place? I was searching for a replacement for my MDR-V300's. The result? Alessandro MS-1's which are currently in transit. I then went on to replacing my DAP (was using an N73 Music Edition and a Sony NW-A1000), and boom, went out and bought a NWZ-A818. Then I went on an splurged on the Corda Headsix, which are also in transit. Then I realized that I might as well complete the upgrade madness, and that brings me to the crux of my request.

I want to replace my Shure E2C's. I thought they were fairly good (I've had them for about 9 months. I like what they can do in the mid-high range, but their low end performance is anemic to say the least. I need to replace them with IEM's since I used my e2c's in noisy environment, or when I need to get work done. They fit me very well using the soft plastic "domes", and they do a decent job of blocking out external noise, but I realized they really lacked bass when I compared them to the headphones that came standard with the A818. If stock headphones can sound like that, then well, I guess I made a mistake purchasing the e2c's. Not a problem, since it seems like the head-fi way to fix problems like this is to throw more money at it
tongue.gif

I read about some of the models that are comparable to the e2c's, but if I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to UPgrade, not sidestep. Problem is, I don't really have any stores near me, so I can't exactly go out and test a bunch of IEM's.

I listen to pretty much everything depending on my mood. Mostly vocals, jazz, and funk, but also rap/hip hop and salsa and pretty much everything in between
biggrin.gif
. I was looking into the UE super.fi 5 pro's, but I would like a second opinion, seeing as how I don't have the extensive knowledge that you gurus have
tongue.gif
. I mean, I heard about UE's when I read about them on this forum, so I figure asking for help would be a good choice.

Thanks, and wow, sorry about the long read.
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi eiop - you may find the super.fi's too warm with the Sony 818. They're quite bassy and the mids/vocals appear recessed with the Sony (in my opinion.) Also, the isolation on them isn't as good as other iems, Shure etc.

The Denon C700 go really well with the Sony (other people think so too, not just me!) and they offer about the same amount of isolation as the super.fi's.

Vocals are upfront and clear with the Denons. They have the opposite midrange to the super.fi's and a more sparkly treble with plenty of bass. But if you're very sensitive to treble - you may find them too 'much'. For my ears - they suit every style of music. The super.fi's were great with instrumental - but the vocals were just not 'natural' - they seemed thicker and foggier, although this was with the Sony - and they may well sound different with other daps.

But as you already have a Sony, I just thought I'd mention it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 4
I did some digging, and I heard about the Atrio m5. Seeing as this might be easier to get than a set of C700's, how would the two compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back