Seattle Spring Meet @ BottleHeadquarters April 26,2014
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #106 of 245
I'd be interested in blind testing the $1k Light Harmonic cable to a $1 MonoPrice cable. I invested in a Light Speed Jr. cable and I would like to know whether nor not I just wasted my money on some really nice snake oil.
I'd be interested, though I've failed many times in the past, so I'm not expecting to hear a difference now.
Interesting. I think you're the first person I've seen who says there's a difference between 24-bit and 16-bit audio. What do you think of something like this then?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

Have you tried blind tests between 24/xx and the same file downsampled to 16/xx?

I get/understand the OP's point in that thread. (I didn't read all 100 pages). I've never down sampled my 24 bit versions. They could be mastered totally different for all I know. The DACs circuitry could go through a whole different path for all I know. I'll down sample those songs in the name of science. Now I'll have 3 versions to pick out.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #107 of 245
  Blast!  Gonna be in phoenix that weekend 

If anyone from Portland wants to take the OPPO PM-1 to the meet with them and return it back to me, send me a PM. 

Would love to listen to the PM-1's, but won't be coming up from Portland.  Would you ever consider shipping them up if there are no Portlanders in attendance?  :)

Apr 15, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #108 of 245
  Quote:

I was thinking of doing a Spotify offline content vs Foobar + FLAC blind test. I think I might set it up, the Mad Dog 3.2 with alpha pads does well isolating outside noises and should make for a good tester. Source will be Yulong D100 and onboard amp.

Any members willing to do a 10min blind test? Results can be anonymous and for entertainment purposes only...
L3000.gif

Foobar2000 has an ABX plugin that will let anyone conduct comparisons between two audio files, even with varying formats. Use the Hide Results option and make 16 runs. If one can get 12 / 16 correct in identifying X to A/B randomly selected, then there is still a 5% chance that one has been lucky. So to really be certain, run the same test again on a different day. >12/16 correct on two different days gets my attention. Of course, if one gets 15/16 or 16/16 on the first try, there isn't much need for a second run.

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #109 of 245
I request that all double blind test related fistfights be taken out to the parking lot.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #112 of 245
I just create a playlist of all my permutations and then FFwd in JRemote till my relays click twice. Jremote doesnt have any resolution display on the page i use. It's very, very, very hard picking the ones resampled from 24x96. Then the levels and compression are the same. I'll have to try releveling the volume on my redbook rip to see how different that is. If my SRC will do that. I'll try a round of 16 after some more practice.

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #113 of 245
Foobar abx won't work in this case because of the way Spotify hides their offline tracks. It will have to be the two players up and an operator switching manually. It should make for an interesting social activity lol

No fist fighting is allowed!

Ah, no way to capture the spotify wavefile for this purpose. I hadn't thougth about that. I usually start with a hires file and then use one of my pro-audio converters to create the downsample, bit-reduced or data compressed variants for comparison.

Will be interested in listening to your (and everyones) setup. Beer conversation, no fists.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #114 of 245
I can bring some interesting high-end cans that people may not have heard if anyone is interested.

-Mr. Speakers Alphadogs (non-balanced) -- one month old; 3D printed cups; not for sale, but willing to take offers
-AKG K812 (available for sale for $1,200) -- also relatively new
-HD800s (with OCC Double Helix cable)

Might have a couple more things, but I'd check out the Alpha Dogs and K812s if you haven't heard em as both are pretty solid cans.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #115 of 245
Wouldn't mind hearing the Alphas and K812s! I've signed up for the upgrade que for the Alpha from a Mad Dog but not quite sure it's worth the $300+ difference.

I can bring some interesting high-end cans that people may not have heard if anyone is interested.

-Mr. Speakers Alphadogs (non-balanced) -- one month old; 3D printed cups; not for sale, but willing to take offers

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #116 of 245
Wouldn't mind hearing the Alphas and K812s! I've signed up for the upgrade que for the Alpha from a Mad Dog but not quite sure it's worth the $300+ difference.

[/quote

I'd be interested in hearing the Mad dogs as well to see if the difference as well.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #118 of 245

[/quote

I'd be interested in hearing the Mad dogs as well to see if the difference as well.
From what I get on the forum, the MD 3.2 and Alpha Dogs are tuned very different. They could even be complimenting headphones.

Apr 17, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #119 of 245
Updated second post with attendee list. Will check fb page to see if I missed anyone. There are a few missing regulars.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #120 of 245

-HD800s (with OCC Double Helix cable)

Might have a couple more things, but I'd check out the Alpha Dogs and K812s if you haven't heard em as both are pretty solid cans.

Does the Alpha Dog have the dog biscuit foam things in it?

Anyone is going to bring some universal IEM? Just asking...
rolleyes.gif

They may not be as high-end as you're hoping, but I will bring the Vsonic GR07 Bass Edition and Sony XBA-H3 to the meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back