Seattle Spring Meet at BottleHeadquarters 4/25/2015 impressions
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #31 of 36
Man, can't get enough of peoples meet impressions right now! Thanks guys.

One pro tip though: if you are quoting a post full of images make use of the spoiler feature!

May 6, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #32 of 36
  0 coverage on this meet, waited to see to make sure I didn't influence coverage by mentioning it. I'm starting to think it has something to do with it being at Bottlehead. Shame on Head-Fi.

It's not because the meet was at Bottlehead and everyone is being polite.  It's just that as a group we're not a meet review posting kind of bunch, except for miceblue.  I don't go to a meet to take notes, take pictures, and do a meet review.  I go to listen to gear and to talk about gear and sound.  If you talk to me at the meet I can be quite opinionated about some things.  But I'm not going to post opinions like that here.  Too easily misconstrued or misunderstood.  Ask me at a meet and I'll tell you what I think and tell you what I like or tell you about the kind of sound I'm after and what sort of gear does that for me.

Meets are very valuable to me.  Meets are how I was able to discover that I really like the sound of Cavalli amps, and the Liquid Fire in particular and how that amp synergizes with the LCD-2.  Meets are how I have been able to hear different sound signatures from gear and find what works for me.  You can't get that sort of experience or exposure from reading reviews.  You need to actually listen.  And that's what meets allow.

I will say that I really liked the amp that Big Poppa had.  That amp is my kind of sound.  The type of sound that I'm chasing.  I've taken the Cavalli fork in the road to get there.  But I could have followed Big Poppa's path and been happy.  I'm also very happy with the sound from the Pono and am looking forward to getting a chance at some time to listen to the Ayre Codex.  There's a naturalness in the sound of the Pono that appeals to me and drags me into the music.  And that's the style of listening experience that I'm ultimately after.  Makes me wonder what sort of DAC I'll ultimately end up with to help me get the sort of headphone sound I'm chasing.

May 7, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #34 of 36
  @BobFiggins good to hear that you really like the 4R, the triple flange came in and it makes the bass even more punchier for me. Although probably I shouldn't have listened to the A12 and V6s, especially the V6s since it's still within my wallet's reach 
confused_face.gif

In the same boat as you, after hearing the HD800 I fell in love. HD700 is already up for sale. HD800 here I come!

For those who brought and showcased the HD800's downstairs at the meet, thanks for letting me listen!

May 7, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 36
Sorry to have missed this one.  Love the Bottlehead meets.  Things have been so crazy with work and a recent trip that I've been out of it.  That and no new stuff to show off has put a damper on things too.  Heh.

Quote:

If the LCD-2 you are comparing to was mine (I had the black Cavalli Liquid Fire amp) keep in mind that my LCD-2 is an old "rev 2" version from late 2011.  A couple years before the Fazors.  The Fazor versions have a different treble.  The Liquid Fire amp also presents a different style of soundstage compared to many other amps.  The soundstage is less wide which may make it seem to be somewhat closed in.  But it makes up for that by being able to move the soundstage out to in front of the ears.  Depth.  So that the soundstage out by your temples or even out in front of your forehead.  The degree it is able to do that depends on the music and the recording and the capability of the headphones.  So the Liquid Fire will make the LCD-2 soundstage and listening be different than with most other amps.

Yo ham!  Out of curiosity, what tubes are you using with your LF?

I also think soundstage is yet another one of those really subjective things.  I can appreciate some cans with really wide soundstages, but sometimes I don't think they really sound natural.  I also am a little more used to feeling like I'm sitting in among the instruments, so that's all personal preference.

...<snip>

Meets are very valuable to me.  Meets are how I was able to discover that I really like the sound of Cavalli amps, and the Liquid Fire in particular and how that amp synergizes with the LCD-2.  Meets are how I have been able to hear different sound signatures from gear and find what works for me.  You can't get that sort of experience or exposure from reading reviews.  You need to actually listen.  And that's what meets allow.

I will say that I really liked the amp that Big Poppa had.  That amp is my kind of sound.  The type of sound that I'm chasing.  I've taken the Cavalli fork in the road to get there.  But I could have followed Big Poppa's path and been happy.  I'm also very happy with the sound from the Pono and am looking forward to getting a chance at some time to listen to the Ayre Codex.  There's a naturalness in the sound of the Pono that appeals to me and drags me into the music.  And that's the style of listening experience that I'm ultimately after.  Makes me wonder what sort of DAC I'll ultimately end up with to help me get the sort of headphone sound I'm chasing.

I might be taking too much credit, but was I helpful in leading you and your checking account to the dark side?  
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 36

Yo ham!  Out of curiosity, what tubes are you using with your LF?

I also think soundstage is yet another one of those really subjective things.  I can appreciate some cans with really wide soundstages, but sometimes I don't think they really sound natural.  I also am a little more used to feeling like I'm sitting in among the instruments, so that's all personal preference.

I might be taking too much credit, but was I helpful in leading you and your checking account to the dark side?  
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm using the stock tubes.  I haven't gotten around to thinking about tube rolling for it yet.  I need to get a suitable DAC first.

It was you, sachu, and the rest of the gang.
smile.gif
 Along with a meet back in 2011 at ALO in Portland where Cavalli and Audeze showed up, and Cavalli had his Liquid Fire. Every time I heard the Liquid Fire the sound was so good.  So inviting and enjoyable.  So easy to listen to.  And the soundstage it does.  I'm a sucker for that sort of soundstage or headstage.  It just sounds so right for headphone listening.  I kept listening around to try to find other gear that did that sort of soundstage.  And there's not much else that does it like that. I finally decided to jump into the deep end of the pool and buy one.  I was waiting around for a used LF to show up or for Cavalli's new hybrid to be released.  A used LF showed up first.  Only regret is that I should have realized sooner that the Liquid Fire is what I was after all along.

I've also got a Liquid Carbon on the way.  I'm interested in exploring both sides of the soundstage spectrum.  The deep style that the LF does and the wider style that other amps do.  I'm not sure what the Liquid Carbon will be like.  I'll find out.  Finding a good amp that does a wide soundstage is easy.  It's the deep and enveloping soundstage that is more difficult to find.

Next step is DAC shopping.  And I think I know where that is going to lead...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back