Seattle/Portland" Meet in the Middle" 27 Feb 2010 - Impressions
Mar 2, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #46 of 125
Good times! It was excellent. Only downsides was the drive back and that my 2Move seems to have decided that it doesn't want to work any more. :p It was great meeting folks in person and being able to sample the HD800, T1 and HE5 pretty much made my list of stuff I wanted to try this...er...this month. Or something.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #48 of 125
Quote:

I also liked the Lawton modded D7000. Anybody know what kind of wood the cups are made of? We couldn't figure it out.

Those cups are the silky oaks wood. Here is the info.
Gallery 3

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #49 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good times! It was excellent. Only downsides was the drive back and that my 2Move seems to have decided that it doesn't want to work any more. :p It was great meeting folks in person and being able to sample the HD800, T1 and HE5 pretty much made my list of stuff I wanted to try this...er...this month. Or something.

Hey Equus, it was nice talking with you at the after meet...sure learned a lot about Amazon...fascinating.
beerchug.gif
Bummer about your 2move.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #50 of 125
The Meet was enjoyable and laid-back. It's so good to check everything out. My fav is still the portable setup by KingStyles. I liked the AppleTV setup as well since I need to keep my sweetheart happy and she wants the visuals.

The pizza and soda was a nice touch. We all needed to stay fed and watered. Thanks to Andrew.

I ended up with the Koss A1220 unit from Boomy and it had some hum and the pots were dirty. I cleaned it up and replaced the caps. Sounds much better. I think I'll put some good RCA units on there and some better wire and a better tube. Kind of fun hearing improvements on this old thing. Fun to listen to. Doesn't drive the HD650s very high, but listenable.

It was good to see Dan Wright from Modwright there and all of the DIY stuff. So much stuff that all the tables were full. Thanks to BigPoppa for the legwork in getting this set-up.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #52 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was a little audio technica electrostat that I was impressed by. I wasnt expecting such a small can to have such a great sound.

When I received them in the mail I noticed that the box was quite heavy on one side... I open it up and find all of the box's weight is the transformer, and that the headphones weigh practically nothing. At first I thought that purchasing them was a huge mistake until I listened to them... at which point I was sort of flabbergasted at the sound that came out of these little unassuming antiques.

Definitely gives meaning to the phrase "big things come in small packages"...(Except amplifiers and speakers of course).

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #53 of 125
I want to thank the organizers of the event, which was a first for me and quite enjoyable! I have headphones but had not heard a really great amp until I took on the mod job of Seamasters WA22. Truly incredible to be able to enjoy THAT level of music with headphones.

I appreciate you all for welcoming me to my first headphone event and I learned a LOT!

I was impressed by both the compact tube/FET amps to the Alice(?) as well as the Wu tube amps. The Stax rig was also quite impressive as well as the 'proto' hybrid amp seen in photos. Sorry but terrible with names. I met the designer and he did a GREAT job!

Thanks again guys!

I will post a link from the ModWright forum at audiocircle to this thread as there has been discussion about headphone amps on our forum recently.

Take care,

Dan W.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #54 of 125
A great meet up
smily_headphones1.gif

dBel84 got a picture of me as a very happy Ham Sandwich

devwild got a picture of me deep in thought with the HE-5, no doubt thinking "where's the bass, did someone just put a 701 on my head? No, can't be cause I really like the mids". The HE-5 could do with a more prominent bass (and bass punch) and a deeper bass for my tastes. The build of the HE-5 is nice. Looks good and feels good.

I was very impressed by the Fostex ortho with the closed wood cups. Now that's the fullness in sound and midrange that I like from a headphone and nice bass (that goes along with the fullness). Too bad that it's not a commercially available headphone.

There were some notable firsts for me at the meet. First time ever hearing a Stax (a 404 was at the meet) and a beyer (a 600 ohm 990 and a T1 was at the meet). Now I know why the 404 is generally considered a jazz and classical headphone. It could make me listen to a lot of jazz, but sounded a little odd in the mids to me when I tried some Joe Satriani on it. The beyer 990 showing up was fortunate for me. I've been curious about beyers and considering getting maybe a 990. I found that my AV123 x-head can drive a 600 ohm beyer just fine but the highs (cymbals especially) were a a little too much for me on my SS amp (ouch, my ears). I'll have to give a beyer 880 a try to see if the highs are more tolerable. The T1 was interesting. Only had a short listen on an amp I wasn't familiar with. An open headphone with bass and punch and yet neutral. Now that is something I could like.

Got to hear the little Lisa amp (kicked up a bit) and a Woo 3+ (kicked up a bit) both playing from the same source and both driving HD580 headphones. Made it very easy to go back and forth between the two. I've heard both amps before, but never back to back like that. Lisa brings along some fun to the music. Emphasizes the bass and the percussion hits and transients. Woo 3+ brings along the air and the ambiance. I'm a sucker for the fun sound, but getting the air and the ambiance and additional soundstage out of the HD580 is something special. I do like the Woo. I could be wooed over to tubes based on sound like that.

The LA7000 was a treat. I wasn't sure what to expect. It's still very much a Denon but with noticeably tighter and controlled bass. I was expecting it to be less recessed in the midrange than it was, still noticeably better than my stock D2000 in that respect. The LA7000 is still very much a Denon for both good and bad. Overall I do like because I like the Denon sound. But a little less recessed in the midrange would be a plus for a more neutral sound. Just a short listen to it though so don't draw too much from my brief listen (and at a noisy meet).

KingStyles rig never fails to amaze in an "I can't believe this is all SS and digital" kind of way. So smooth and analog sounding and detailed. A unique sound.

So many headphones and rigs there. Never got a chance to listen to them all, and wouldn't want to in that short of a time span cause it would all just turn into a sonic blur to me. Better for me to focus on a few at each meet. More beneficial to listen a little and talk a little rather than just listen listen listen. So many good sounds and all of them good in their own way.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #56 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Equus, it was nice talking with you at the after meet...sure learned a lot about Amazon...fascinating.
beerchug.gif
Bummer about your 2move.

It was great hanging out with you and your bro. The after meet was awesome for me because I'm such a noob on headphone stuff, but retail...now there's something I know.
wink_face.gif

I actually just got an email back about my 2Move, so it sounds like it's going to be taking a little vacation to Germany here soon.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #57 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jonathan - It was nice to meet you and thanks for bringing your WA6SE! It was great to get some sense of how mine might sound with various cans there...now if I can only get the sound of those HD800's out of my head!! Would you confirm, as I cannot remember if you said, but is yours maxxed? Which driver tubes were you using?

Marco

It was nice to meet you too Marco.

I suppose you could call it maxxed, since it does have the premium parts (blackgate caps) upgrade. It doesn't have the teflon tube sockets.
I'll check on the tubes tonight when I get home.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #58 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great meet up
smily_headphones1.gif

KingStyles rig never fails to amaze in an "I can't believe this is all SS and digital" kind of way. So smooth and analog sounding and detailed. A unique sound.

I'm pretty sure that's the rig I mentioned as well (was it Josh?). Of everything at the meet that rig had the least "digital" sound of anything I heard. Very impressive on that level. I wish I'd listened some more to it as I really didn't get any sense of the amp (which is probably a very good thing) - I was so impressed with the analog-like sound I was hearing from the rig too. Which amp is his highness using? That rig would rank best of show for me, but I'm sure I did not hear everything.

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #59 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jopagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was nice to meet you too Marco.

I suppose you could call it maxxed, since it does have the premium parts (blackgate caps) upgrade. It doesn't have the teflon tube sockets.
I'll check on the tubes tonight when I get home.

Thanks, Jonathan. I should have paid more attention. I haven't rolled my driver tubes much. I'm using GE's 6EW7's that were made in England (probably Mullards). I had the Sophia mesh for a month or so and, though I thought it did really well in smoothing things out, I felt it was ultimately at the expense of some detail and dynamics. I ended up selling it in favor of a military Mullard CV378 (GZ37) which I find a bit more punchy/fast and resolving. I have an EML 5u4G Mesh in my MWTP that I have yet to try. It is a superb tube in the Transporter.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #60 of 125
Quote:

Which amp is his highness using?

You were right, it is Josh (kingstyles). I am using an RWA Isabellina HPA fed by the battery powered offramp.
I am always drinking energy drinks and thought it funny that someone got a pictureof my NOS drink when I sat it down on my NOS dac. Good timing.
1607wj7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back