Seattle/Portland" Meet in the Middle" 27 Feb 2010 - Impressions
Mar 1, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #31 of 125
Great pics!
beyersmile.png

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #32 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one ..dB

Don't think that one's MOSFET (it does have FET inputs), but when it looks that good, who cares?

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #33 of 125
Since I wasn't sure about my attendance my gear wasn't listed, so here you go. FLAC from Apple TV running XBMC, Wire World Supernova 5+ TOSLink, Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Senn HD800 and HD650 with Moon Silver Dragon and Furutech FP704. Alternate path from Samsung NC10 netbook, foobar/FLAC up to 24/192, E-Mu 0404 USB, The Wire on cryoed Xhadow RCAs to Benchmark analog input. Monitor is ACER LED S243HL.
Stan

Mar 1, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #34 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by curbfeeler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Griffin, you weren't tripping when you thought you heard an imbalance at my station through the T1. I had failed to set the second jumper block correctly when I increased the gain, so the left channel was down.

I was so worried about the off-center imaging. It was end up the mod opened up so much space that any inperfect recording will show...... I was jump up and down like monkey with tail jamed in the door hinge.
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #35 of 125
It's Gil right? Thanks for throwing up this meet for us. I'm pretty sure I thanked you in person before I left too haha. This was my first head-fi meet and it was pretty cool. Everyone there seemed to be friendly and trustworthy. At first I was hesitant to set down my hd600's but I eventually got over the thought of them being taken (after seeing how open everyone was). It was really cool hearing those crazy rigs and headphones that I would have to save up months to afford. Also before the meet I've never even heard denons/beyers/grados before and to top it off I got a glimpse of how the t1 and hd800 sound too. All in all it was a great experience and I hope to go to more in the future (possibly the aftermeet as well).

Man, there was a pair of universal jh13's there?! I can't believe I missed that! Lol damn maybe next time.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #36 of 125
this was my first meet, so i wasn't quite sure what to expect. i was really impressed with the amount of top shelf gear on display. thanks to everyone who made this happen. i am fairly new to the headphone game so it was cool to sample all the stuff i probably can't afford. i was happy to sample all the orthos i now have a better grasp on how mine should sound when i finish butchering them. thanks to dbel for the sound advice, i really like what you do to your phones, especially the t10 and the hp-50. i think my favorite was the stax/extata, amazing clarity and more bass than i was expecting from a stat. thanks to bommy for the tubes, i am burning them in right now, they are sounding good so far. it was really nice meeting everybody, i am looking forward to the next meeting.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #37 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't think that one's MOSFET (it does have FET inputs), but when it looks that good, who cares?

AllegroSound * Mitsubishi DA-A15DC Dual-Mono Amplifier

My DA-A10DC is the same amp with a little less power, so the information is applicable.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #38 of 125
Thank you BigPoppa for the organization and everyone else who assisted. Andrew, the pizza was much appreciated.
I don't know if it was lack of sleep or just the overall noise level, but I found it hard to concentrate on details there, so I just relaxed and went with general impressions.

It was a pleasure to meet new people, put faces to head-fi handles, listen to some excellent setups, and discover new music.

And thanks to the meter maids who stayed away from our cars even though we were parked for a whole lot more than 2 hours :)

Jonathan

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #39 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jopagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you BigPoppa for the organization and everyone else who assisted. Andrew, the pizza was much appreciated.
I don't know if it was lack of sleep or just the overall noise level, but I found it hard to concentrate on details there, so I just relaxed and went with general impressions.

It was a pleasure to meet new people, put faces to head-fi handles, listen to some excellent setups, and discover new music.

And thanks to the meter maids who stayed away from our cars even though we were parked for a whole lot more than 2 hours :)

Jonathan

Jonathan - It was nice to meet you and thanks for bringing your WA6SE! It was great to get some sense of how mine might sound with various cans there...now if I can only get the sound of those HD800's out of my head!! Would you confirm, as I cannot remember if you said, but is yours maxxed? Which driver tubes were you using?

Marco

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #40 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There were some tiny, tube-driven, plexiglass cube amps in the corner on the ALO table - though not a statement piece, I was impressed with the sound from those tiny cubes...seemed like a nice portable solution. Can anyone fill me in on those?

That was actually LeTiger's setup, and the amps are called Bravo or something like that. Boomy has them as well. Yes, they seem very nice.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #41 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was actually LeTiger's setup, and the amps are called Bravo or something like that. Boomy has them as well. Yes, they seem very nice.

Thanks, Andrew. Out of curiosity, do you know what the pricepoint is on them?

Edit: Nevermind - I found them on eBay ranging from $31-89 ending prices. Very impressive at that price!!

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #42 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by curbfeeler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What! Not one picture of my rig. Who else had FLAC playing from an Apple device? Who else had hi-res 24/192 from a netbook through USB? Who else had the HD800. You're welcome, America. ;>)
Your love is like the water that splashes on a stone.
Your love is like the music. It's here and then it's gone.
Thanks, Mick and Keith, with a nod to Robert Johnson.
I think the T1 has promise. It's still early days as these had only a few hours of use, but they may be a viable alternative to the HD800. Sibilances were not splashed and the highs are not over the top. Slightly recessed mids may improve with burn-in. Ambience retrieval already there in spades. Dynamic shadings were exemplary. Bass was a bit reticent, but again that could change with time. None of the sterile presentation I've come to expect form the 990 or 880.
The D7000 Lawton mod stopped me cold. Sorry.

I think I got at least one PIC of everything. I'll try to get my PICs up tonight

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #43 of 125
The Indeed and Bravo amps are a little Mosfets. with 6n11/6922 variable tubes. quite impressive at the price point. They were my first endevor into DIY amps and I made my briefcase rig with two running as rt and lt dual mono. (poor man's Balanced). In addition, One of the few girls there ( guruindrag) is a newbee and is quite excited with her little Indeeds. I gave her some extra ones that I don't use anymore hopefuly her dad can teach her to solder.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #44 of 125
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the few girls there ( guruindrag) is a newbee and is quite excited with her little Indeeds. I gave her some extra ones that I don't use anymore hopefuly her dad can teach her to solder.

Thanks for the gear boomy. What an awesome experience for a first timer! The dual indeeds are a forthcoming project for her I'm sure, yours sounded great. Thanks to Gil also, what a guy. The Stax absolutely blew me away. The most suprising little gem to me was the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 with the iBasso D10 Cobra, nice little Dac/Amp. guruindrags hard drive fried the day before the meet. She should have it fixed and posting by tonight.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #45 of 125
It was a nice meet. Everything was represented. A person could really find out what they like to hear. There was tubes and ss, iem's and full size, cd players and computers, dynamics and stats, diy and store bought.
I wasnt impressed with the he-5. I thought the midrange was to strong and drowned out the treble and it didnt have much bass. I only tried it on 1 amp that I was unfamiliar with though.
The T1 were nice. Even though they were not burned in, they had a very nice balanced presentation. They are a can that I would like to buy in the future. Cant wait to hear them burned in and balanced.
There was a little audio technica electrostat that I was impressed by. I wasnt expecting such a small can to have such a great sound.
The mingda amp was nice. It was able to handle a variety of cans that I tried on it easily and and always sounded rich and lush.
The wa6 with the benchmark dac compared to mine, was very energetic and not tubey sounding at all. My amp was a lot more layed back when listening to the same song.
Thanks to Gil for organizing and everybody who contributed their time, food, beverages, and equipment to make this a great meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back