Seattle minimeet #3 impressons
Aug 23, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 61
Wilson,
Sounds like you asked Ray to make you a "dark" amp, and it appears he succeeded a little too well.
eek.gif
Nevertheless, it's pretty darn cool to be able to have an amp's manufacturer tweak his product specially for your tastes and system's needs.

After he normalizes your unit, also make sure to also get a pair of the AD797s op-amps, (swapping them is a snap), so you can see what you think. They have more on top but especially on the bottom than the OPA627s. You lose a little of the smoothness and delicacy of the 627s, but what you gain sounds much more accurate, richer, and more "alive" and "exciting". The AD797s really get your emotions in the game, where the 627s have you marvelling respectfully at a distance. At least, that's my reaction to them.
wink.gif

It's too bad folks at the meet didn't get to hear a "standard" HR-2. It's a great amp!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mark

Aug 23, 2003 at 9:54 PM Post #32 of 61
If i remember right wilson had sampled the 797s for a bit ... disliked them... so he opted for the 627s ... listening to the emmerline at the meet the 627s seem too laid back on his hp-1000's ... those grado phones are far too detail oriented... maybe the opa637 far more detailed and quicker ...but ive not heard them on the emmerline config ...

Aug 23, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 61
OK, people are continuing to link directly to the pics on my site. In about 12 hours, all those pics showing up on this thread will appear as "X" in people's web browsers.

People, please download the pics and put them on your own server or picture-hosting site if you want to link them, then edit your posts to reflect the new "IMG" URL.. Last time I'm gonna bother saying it.

Aug 23, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #36 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by xtreme4099
If i remember right wilson had sampled the 797s for a bit ... disliked them... so he opted for the 627s ... listening to the emmerline at the meet the 627s seem too laid back on his hp-1000's ... those grado phones are far too detail oriented... maybe the opa637 far more detailed and quicker ...but ive not heard them on the emmerline config ...

Well, I disliked the fact that it was incredibly dark. I'm not sure how much a move back to "neutrality" would help.

With the 627, the HP-1s had a recessed treble and I suppose that made it sound laid back and slow. As for the rest of the frequencies, I like the slight distance that it had over amps like the PPA which I found a little too "in your face". The PPA with the HD600s gave just the right distance for my tastes for the 600s. Not too close but not too far (which is my usual complaint about the 600s).

I'm thinking of holding off on the HR-2 in preference for Ray's new tube amp. (drool)

Aug 23, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #37 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
OK, people are continuing to link directly to the pics on my site. In about 12 hours, all those pics showing up on this thread will appear as "X" in people's web browsers.

People, please download the pics and put them on your own server or picture-hosting site if you want to link them, then edit your posts to reflect the new "IMG" URL.. Last time I'm gonna bother saying it.

I deleted the image from my post...

Aug 24, 2003 at 6:47 AM Post #38 of 61
You know, I've been listening to the Transparent MusicLink Super interconnects that Wilson very, very kindly lent me, and I'm wondering if they might have had some effect on my appraisal of the Omegas as low-highs high-lows cans- the Transparents seem to be nicely forward, warm interconnects that at the same time lack in high frequency response (not only in terms of treble, but another pair of ICs I have [not the AQ Copperheads] has better detail and transients). Whether this is just lack of brightness, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. This is particularly evident on Introduction to Also Sprach Zarathustra (Strauss; Telarc's Time Warp), where the fanfare seems smooth and the tympanis even more muffled than they're supposed to be. On the other hand, the midrange is excellent, if a bit bloomy - not only are the cables nice and forward (just the way I like it) and the trumpets liquid and beautiful (on the Star Trek Main Theme, also on Time Warp), but the cables lend a very pleasing overall sound to the system and do not fall victim to the tradidional trap of the 'hi-fi sound'. The other cables, in comparison, make me want to turn up the volume in order to get the music to jump out at me - while from the traditional audiphile criteria of detail, bass, etc they do well, they don't quite do it for me in the grab-the-listener-by-the-ears kind of fashion that I so dearly love my Arcam for.

Whoa, sorry about the mini-review, guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

Back on topic, I was comparing the HE90s to the Omega2s without swapping cables, so who knows...
smily_headphones1.gif

[edited to avoid possibly running afoul of the Head-Fi rules in the future]

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:20 AM Post #40 of 61
I sure Enjoyed the Show althought i did not get to hear the latest creek it is so small and solid built. Belive it or not a power supply for it was not available and i all others were in use, In fact i think every outlet was also taken. Anyway if the creek sounds as well as it looks Killer! Tim also brought a Wood Box grado Amp But Sorry after seing radio shack RCA jacks rather than at least thay could have used the Low cost cardas that i use for Prototyping. It scares me to think what the innerds were like. The power supply Connector Being a Multi-pin locking type was impressive although a power supply was also not available for it.

Moving along to stuff i did hear The Tube Hybird Gillmore amp throught erics sen's sounded almost as good as i have heard Electrostatics get. The Tube sound did predoninate the presentation but Electrostatics have a different feeling than dynamic can's and must be Judged acordingly. If i remember correctly Eric's solid state amp driving his Electrostatic sen's sounded more detailed but that was in a more quiet setting and I had to turn the Volume up louder than i normaly listen at to compensate for the noise in the room so rather than the music fade into a black background of silence it blended into the noise level of the Meet. if any inner detail was present is was masked.

Moving to Solid state stuff that I was sure glad to Auidition Ray samuals Amp of wilson's. It is of an impressive Build quality with apperently a pair of Metal can output transistors acting as a discreet component Buffer. The Separate power supply Idea is a tried and tested method of obtaining Ultra low noise Reference quality Reproduction in High end equipment. remember all those early Threshold, Mark levensonsand the Like offering seaparate power supplys of Every preamp above $5,0000 USD. I love this concept it is a tried and proven method that works really well. I can't belive than folks are wanting a one Box design in there home headphone and Line level Equipment. This amp sounded slightly dark but not slugis at all The Amps tonal balance was more inline with Grado's But i was using HD-600's and HD-580's with this amp. Only two pairs of High end Grados were Available and both were in constant use. Even the Sony's were in use (All 3 Pair) so i get stuck listening to a dark Amp with HD-580/600. I realised this and bypassed that part and concentrated my listening to other qualities. One quality of ray's amp is Punch and dynamics This amp has it as Much as My own designs. Clarity. This my tired old ears demand. excess silbelence and grain make my listening short lived and so if i can get through one or two selections it is a darn Cleen Reproduction. I listened to this amp with ether 580's or 600's for most of the time so it gets my vote as an amp you can do extended listening to and i did indeed. On Electronic Music the quickness is easaly heard on the Sen's and Imaging was as good. Althought the Ambient room noise made that less apparent than normal But at times the Music i was listening to blended with the outside Room Ambience to transport the musical image outside of the Head and blend with the room noise to the point that one is momentarly fooled into thinking the image came from somone elces listening session great effect I liked it alot. Anyone Looking For reference quality In a headphone Amp Do Put Ray's amp on your short list.

Up next i listened to the sugden and it was only powered for about 30 min and my first listen was through a Creative Zen Juke Box. The Reproduction was thin with no bass and treble extention. Ok but not High end more of somthing I would expect out of a portable so i switched sources to eric's CD player what ever Kind that was and this greatly improved the sound i then listened for one selection with this source and switched Amps to rays amp and one of the available PPA's. this gives me three Amps to compaire using one source and cans for all three Oh least we forget the garden hose size Power cable and these short Ridiged cables he cames are flat up into the GHz. range or somthing. needless to say i felt comfident I was getting plenty of Power and signal to see how these Amps sounded on HD-600's with the Optional cable ( See Eric) and stock cable on another another Pair. The optional cable really brightes up HD-600's and i used this pair to do all my amp comparrisons. The Added Brightness of the optional cable was not a problem with any of the amps so that is what i stuck with so to keep everything constant in this somewhat imformal listening setup. To sum up the Sugden I liked rays amp alot better the sugden has alot of midrange detail and imaging but this is frequency dependent and gets worse as frequency goses up or down. quite a uninvolving expearence at least with the sen's Dynamics was also lacking compaired to rays amp. so we have an All in one Box Amp That looks cooler than **** and sounds! Well, just like everything elce noticeable tone colorations and wandering imaging. and is real heavy imparting a quality build. I noticed no engraving or lettering of anykind on the Front Pannel and this looks real cleen to me . The Big lettering on top is a Putoff reminds me of car stereo Amps. Overall as far as this Meet is concerened and using the HD-600's with optional cable and Eric's 1 plus GHz interconects and some Mounsterious power cable Ray's amp sounds more to my liking that the Sugden. The Headmaster left me with the same impression as the Headroom max did that i heard at another Meet Fine World Class sound but not all that as involving in the detail and perfect tonality department as i think a reference quality amp should do. Now not saying the Headmaster is grossly colored but it did sound somewhat hollow compaired to Ray's. The Headroom Max if my memory is correct has none of this hollowness. However amps that do are numerious like the Corda, headroom cosmic and the META42 on it's best coinfiguration.

I was sorry that the real nicely exicuted Gilmore Hybird had a falure i was hoping to compaire electrostatic headphones more But Eric was for sure hoging the Omega's. Eric You should have Brought Your Solod state gilmore for comparisons then we could have made everyone quiet momentarly as we indulged into the finer aspects of the Electrostatic world. My previous exposure was from stax and there matching amp and Koss ESP-9 with its Energizer box connected to a 20 watt Loudspeaker amp A Quality 20 watt Loudspeaker Amp. I must say that the qualities i have come to expect out of electrostatics was present in the Hybird i heard at this meet. I hope you get it up and running as i am sure you miss listening to it, I would. As far as the coment upon sloppy layout Ya right answer late them hand lay out a pc board and actualy take somthing from schematic to an actual working unit all by your self. Hope you could also arange for credit at school for your efforts. Good Job indeed I was/am still impressed. Althought I still have my Bias as we talked about at the Meet about Hybirds, but still You Done Kevin Proud on His Blue.

Mabe Wilson will consider a short term trade He can Listen to a PPA under his listening situations and I can Listen to Rays Amp more under my own terms. Remember we are headphone geeks, only not wilson yet, he has loudspeakers and is i suspect yet to be Asimilated.
280smile.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:29 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by ppl
I sure Enjoyed the Show althought i did not get to hear the latest creek it is so small and solid built. Belive it or not a power supply for it was not available and i all others were in use, In fact i think every outlet was also taken. Anyway if the creek sounds as well as it looks Killer! Tim also brought a Wood Box grado Amp But Sorry after seing radio shack RCA jacks rather than at least thay could have used the Low cost cardas that i use for Prototyping. It scares me to think what the innerds were like. The power supply Connector Being a Multi-pin locking type was impressive although a power supply was also not available for it.

I sure would have liked to have heard the Grado anyway, after all the reports on head-fi about it's surprisingly clean, transparent sound ("as if it has no sound of its own," or so the saying goes).

To a certain extent anyway, "if it sounds good, it is good" (yeah, if build quality doesn't matter, chuckle
tongue.gif
). Anyway, I've got pics of both the Grado and Creek amps up on my site, see my sig. It was a fun meet, and was nice to meet/chat with you.

P.S. I agree completely about separate power supplies... they are perhaps the most important component in any piece of equipment, and a cheap or poorly conceived built-in PS can make the world's most expensive gear sound like crap. Conversely, an excellent power supply can make inexpensive gear sound better than it has a right to.

Edit -- it's funny, but the power supply thing extends to PC's as well. A lot of people get PC's with cheap, underpowered PSU's that deliver dirty power, then wonder why their computers crash and get flaky so often. The answer is clear -- invest in a quality PSU from Antec, PC Power and Cooling, Sparkle, etc. and replace the built in crappy one.

Aug 24, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #42 of 61
Boy, ppl puts us all to shame. But I guess that's what we get for wasting all that time talking so much while he was quietly going around listening to the gear.

Tim forgot the power supplies for the Creek and Grado. He brought so many other things and he was coming straight from work. Next time, we'll be sure to get those into the mix.

I think ppl just convinced me to give Ray an opportunity to work the HR-2 into a more neutral amp for the HP-1s and HD600s. I'm guessing that if it's tweaked for neutral rather than the tipped up balance of the RS-1s, the amp will sound a lot more even for our headphones.

And I would be happy to let people borrow the amp for an extended audition. I'm expecting a Melos Gold Reference in the coming days and people are welcome to that one as well. After all, speakers are SOOOO much better.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 24, 2003 at 10:41 AM Post #43 of 61
I would love even a couple of days listening Your Amp Wilson Heard the Mellows SH1 or somthing Hybird Headphone Amp was not all that impressed it sounded Misty to me. And in Return you can listen to the PPA sound fair?

Aug 24, 2003 at 12:54 PM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally posted by Wilson M.
Tim forgot the power supplies for the Creek and Grado. He brought so many other things and he was coming straight from work. Next time, we'll be sure to get those into the mix.

Hey you know what, Wilson? I just remembered, very clearly, seeing an OBH-2 power supply in the box with the cables (the one on top) -- I don't think anyone ever took it out.

Not sure why *I* didn't!
confused.gif
Maybe I was thinking there was nowhere left to plug it in, or something like that.

I don't recall seeing anything for the Grado, however.

Anyway... maybe next time I'll bring my OBH-11 (I should have an Elpac linear regulated wall wart for it by then) so we can compare Creek's low end to Creek's high end (I like doing stuff like that, altho it seems I may be in the minority).

Aug 24, 2003 at 4:44 PM Post #45 of 61
ppl- Ironically, I got the KGSS working the day after the meet; it sounds much better now (NO HUM!!!), and I am planning to post pics...

And yeah, I remember seeing a Creek p/s kicking around somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back