Seattle Micro Meet (Oct 18, 2009)
Oct 19, 2009 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

socrates63

Headphoneus Supremus
This was probably the shortest meet in HF history -- 40 minutes. A little background to the meet if you can call it that...

James (guy in the pics below) was over at my house on Friday, and I found out that he lurks on Head-Fi. He's a starving college student, and he told me that he hopes to get into vinyl and all things audiophile when he can afford it. Vinyl, eh? Well, I happened to have two turntables I picked up from craigslist which I wasn't using, so just before he left, I gave him one. His jaw dropped, and he had apparently had a brain meltdown as I found out later. Simply spreading some HF love was the way I saw it.
biggrin.gif

In all the excitement over getting a free turntable, James left his jacket and wallet at my house. He swears that he had never ever been without his wallet, so as I said, he had a total meltdown of his cognitive faculties. Anyway, on his way to work tonight, he came by my house to pick up his items. He asked if he could come by for half an hour to listen to my gear, so I said why not. James' best headphone is a Grado SR60 (Gray-do, James and not Grah-do), and he is hoping to put together enough funds for a JH13. Three more quarters of ramen, and I'm sure you'll get there.
biggrin.gif

James' source was a MacBook, so we hooked it up to my CI Audio VDA-2, and amped the signal with Headamp GS-1. I love the GS-1. I had been looking for another Beta22 after having sold mine... a decision I've ever since regretted, but the GS-1 has been an awesome replacement... one of the best solid states I've heard, and I'm not missing the Beta much anymore.

Back to the meet... since James seemed to like Grado, I hooked up the RS-1 and he found nirvana. His said, and I quote, "I never have to go to a concert again." After a few songs, I moved him over to my HF-2, and that brought a smile to his face, and he said, "I can't believe I have to go to work." He should have left 10 minutes before he did, but oh well.
biggrin.gif

It was a lot of fun spreading some HF love to someone new who wasn't jaded. It was a fun experience to see someone enjoying the gear and appreciating what good gear can do for the music listening experience.

I made James promise that he'd post some impressions in this thread, so he'll be checking in in a few hours.

James groovin' to RS-1
2009-10-18__009.JPG

2009-10-18__010.JPG

writing notes in his iPhone to post impressions after work
2009-10-18__013.JPG

excuse the dust
2009-10-18__012.JPG

HF-2 luv
2009-10-18__014.JPG

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 11
Very nice to give him the turntable and the time to listen to your gear. The love is so close to my house I can almost feel it. Are you guys coming to the meet on the 24th?

Oct 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 11
Really nice of you!
That you gave him a real listening session on the GS-1, RS1 and HF2. But not least the kind gesture of giving one of your turntables to him.
biggrin.gif

Awaiting impressions.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Apparently a mod has to approve his new HF account before he can post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles
Are you guys coming to the meet on the 24th?

I'll see what I can do, but I probably can't as I have both of my two sons with me all day on Saturdays. I haven't seen Gil and the guys for quite a while, and it seems there are many new faces at the meets since bhjazz and I organized a couple. I did tell James about the local meets, and he was excited by the prospects. I'll let him know about it.

Oct 19, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 11
Hi everyone! First off, I would like to thank Youngjin for this eye opening experience. As a starving college student who can only lurk and dream of such audio bliss, I was more than excited to find a veteran head-fi'er! I only have one other head-fi head friend but he seems to be in the same boat as I am = P someday my part time job (which I was late to yesterday) will pay for my JH-13's after many hungry nights of course. so here are my first impressions of my first dive into high-end audio.

As stated earlier, my gear consists of a macbook pro and a pair of grado-sr 60's which I just plug straight into the headphone jack. I used to have a pair of UE super-fi 5 pros but they broke and I seem to have lost the will to send them in. My source is a great one but very "underutilized" as Socrate63 stated during out meet. Optical? USB DAC? Straight headphone amp? The choices seem endless only limited by my lack of funds. Of course all my songs are ripped from CD's in M4a. apple lossless format.

Songs Tested

Electric Twist - A Fine Frenzy

The Light Before we Land - The Delgados

Inside + Out (Apostle of Hustle UnMix) [Live] - Feist

Half Life - Imogen Heap

Across the Sea - Weezer

Phenomena - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Impressions

The source and all that beautiful stuff was posted above in Socrates63's previous post. I'm just posting my impressions in any order. So now, on to the show...

Detail - I must say that I was surprised at how loud you need to turn up the amp yet the sound felt more full as opposed to just loud. The Rs-1's were a treat and just sounded good with anything I threw at it but I must say that the headphones that caught my ear were the HF-2's (with the awesome engraving typo). There was much micro-detail that I was able to hear with my current set up but it seemed to be part of the background and I had to "dig" deep to listen. Problem solved with the HF-2's. Every step of Imogen's Dampener pedal or Feist's palm mutes on her warm hollow-body became integrated with the music. It was great to just be able to relax and hear all those little details, especially on live recordings. Sometimes I feel that listening could be a chore which it should never be. AFF's Electric Twist will never sound the same again. Alison and her band layered so many instruments and electric sounds that may feel crowded but with a great set up, they separate and come together in a whole new beautiful way. All the electric noises had an organic quality to it. During the first few seconds of Weezer's Across the Sea, you can hear a door close, River accidently take his hand off his guitar strings, the valves open and close on the oboe, and If I'm not mistaken, a very quiet "1, 2, 3". I freaked out the first time I heard this a while ago but with the Grado set up, they were all clearly audible. These things are a joy to listen to.

Percussion - Yes they deserve their own section because they were simply amazing. Everything from the crisp hi-hats that transport you into the drum cage to the booming bass drum that fees implanted into your ear, they were just their own beast. The odd syncopated drum beat during the solo of Across the Sea made me rethink the song. Phenomena's opening of Brian Chase's bass/snare and Nick Zinner's bad ass guitar got me even more pumped up than usual. It was so powerful with the HF-2's! I can't get enough percussion.

Sound - If you've been reading, then you'd know that I love the HF-2's so of course I love the sound signature. I'm not sure if it's the set up or if this is how high-end music is suppose to be, but it sounded a little "cold" not quite as bright but still pleasing. I know that each set up is different but my inexperience faults me from judging that aspect. AFF's electric twist features this very chime-like guitar effect that sounded a little harsh but still enjoyable. With the high-end set up, they seemed to have rounded out and mellow out. The treble was presented nicely although I can't give perfect analysis with my inexperience but again, it was very enjoyable. Guitar crunch was just so... crunchy! I was hearing Weezer's Marshall amps in a whole new light. The bass extension was very detailed and was brought out into the music to fill out the sound spectrum. Every shrouded bass-line was clearly audible and it was a blast to hear everyone's hard work that was put into a song. I will never hear these songs the same again!

Closing statements/impressions - As great as this set up was, It made appreciate my current set up even more. My Grado-sr 60's seems to just sound better now. Maybe its because I'm not an audiophile virgin anymore but I truly love and appreciate audio even more. I continue to starve and wait for CD's and eventually vinyl along with audio equipment and couldn't be happier. (well until I get my next purchase of course) I wish I had more time to listen but until I do, I will be a good student and dream. Thanks for the turntable! time to find/buy an amp... eventually.

-James

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 11
James, you certainly express yourself better than I ever could with regards to writing impressions.

The music sounding You need to try the HF-2 with my tube amp next time. I think you'll probably like it even better. Do check out the meet coming up this Saturday. It's a great chance to talk to others who share the interest and listen to some great gear.

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Hey Young, you used to come to these? Nice to here from you. You are one of my inspirations in Head-Fi. Making a few trips to the car just like you used too!

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 11
I see the definition of "starving" college student has changed a bit since I graduated lol.

Welcome to Headfi!

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 11
Well Young, that's just like you, giving away gear to people who "get" music. You are a very kind person.

Nice to see at least one of us coming out of the darkness for some meet time, no matter how small. Some day we'll all get together again. That would be cool. I suppose the trick is in the planning...and planning for a backup plan so neither of us could miss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back