Seattle Meet Impressions 8/14/05
Aug 15, 2004 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Xanadu777

Member of the Trade: Headphile
Headphone Modder Extraordinaire
Thanks to Patricklang for hosting the meet. He was able to reserve a beautiful lounge room in his complex. The grounds were very, very nicely landscaped with pool right outside and a barbeque area where Patrick was nice enough to prepare us all some awesome food. Nice guy and excellent host. Thanks also to his wife for the behind the scenes help. The meet went from 5pm to around 1am, though we were supposed to be out by 10pm
biggrin.gif
Also thanks to everyone who attended, and the gear on loan from some who didn't, you are some great peeps!

I took a few pics to capture the essence of the meet. More chat later...

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

m6.jpg

m7.jpg

m8.jpg

m9.jpg

m10.jpg

m11.jpg

m12.jpg

m13.jpg

m14.jpg

m15.jpg

m16.jpg

m17.jpg

m18.jpg

m19.jpg

m20.jpg

Aug 15, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 52
Real quick before I head to work, I just want to thank Patrick for setting this whole thing up. The facilities were really excellent and the food and drinks were good as well. Thanks to his wife as well for helping out behind the scenes. I'll be back late tonight with my impressions.

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 52
did anyone use the electrostats? I see the amp and the cans, but on opposite sides of the room....

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 52
Post some CD3K woodie and Senn. woodie impressions.

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
did anyone use the electrostats? I see the amp and the cans, but on opposite sides of the room....

That was true for most of the night as Eric343 was kind enough to lend them to the meet while he went out of town. Not wanting to risk hooking up anything wrong, and with an extra box that confused the situation, hookup was verified from pics on the net. Finally towards the end of the meet, confidence was high and they were powered up, kind of like serving dessert up. That they were too... Both were great though I think the HE90's were a little more to my liking. They didn't seem to lack anywhere to these ears, even in the bass department. Nice night topper
orphsmile.gif

Aug 15, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 52
Trev good to see you made it to the meet. You obviously had a chance to listen to the K1000s.

I really wish I could have gone. I'll have to live vicariously through you guys and your meet impressions posts.

Aug 16, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 52
we actually recorded a one hour binarual of the meet with the iriver and my binarual mic setup ... i still gotta find space for it to put it up ...

Aug 16, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #11 of 52
This was actually my first meet so pretty much everything was new to me. One thing that surprised me was how loud everyone listens to their headphones. I would not recommend anyone listen to Sergio's setup without turning it down first. It was actually sort of a running joke throughout the meet. Now on with some of my impressions.

- Although it was at the end of the night, the highlight for me was listening to the Stax setup. I listened to a few things one of which was some Crystal Method that Trevor had brought. It was actually an album I was somewhat familiar with. There's a track called Cherry Twist that he played and the Stax setup hit low notes on that song I hadn't even heard before on my setup. It took some serious EQing just to find the note with my AT's tonight. In short, the Stax were amazing. I particularly liked the Omega II's bass and mid-range detail. They didn't seem harsh at all even at the unbareable listening levels these guys had them at. I'm not sure what the other headphones we had with that setup, but at one point Trevor pointed out that the actual diaphram was vibrating. Like I said, these guy's listen to their stuff too loud
tongue.gif
(I think they're actually designed to do that.)

- I had some time to do some A/B comparing with the 650's and the CD3000's. Right off the bat I was a little surprised at how much higher I needed to set the volume on the PPA I was using in order to fully power the 650's. I guess I just hadn't really thought about it before. It makes me wonder how much more important a quality amp is for the 650's as opposed to the CD3000's.

The 650's were very impressive especially with the Zu Mobius cable. I really liked their low bass extension on a few of the tracks I listened. I also liked the smooth highs. It's really a shame that I didn't have any really good albums with female vocals on me. (iRiver gave out last week
frown.gif
) Still, from what I heard I can see myself somewhere down the line purchasing these for listening to R&B and Jazz.

As for the CD3000's, they were a lot like my A900's to be honest. They were better in quite a few areas though. They had better treble extension, more mid-range detail and a punchier bass. These headphones really excelled over the 650's in the trance department. I was listening to some electronica (Oakenfold or Sasha, can't remember for sure.) and the CD3000's were bringing out awesome punchy bass. The 650's in contrast were noticeably missing this and seemed to be emphasizing the lower end more, something I didn't really like. I can see where people would label the 650's as "slow". That mid-range attack just isn't the same as the CD3000's.

The problem with the CD3000's though is that they can definitely be harsh. I think there are a few albums out there that would be unlistenable on the CD3000's. I can think right off the bat that the last two Red Hot Chili Pepper albums would be unbearable. This is probably why I'll never own the CD3000's. Even though they beat out my A900's in a lot of areas, none of the music I listen to with them is completely unbearable. Honestly though in a perfect world I would probably just own both the 650's and the CD3000's, but since I already own the A900's, if I do make another headphone purchase it will probably be the 650's.

Bah, I'm kind of tired, I'll have to give more impressions later. I didn't get home from Seattle until 8:30am and I had to work at 2:15pm
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
That was true for most of the night as Eric343 was kind enough to lend them to the meet while he went out of town. Not wanting to risk hooking up anything wrong, and with an extra box that confused the situation, hookup was verified from pics on the net. Finally towards the end of the meet, confidence was high and they were powered up, kind of like serving dessert up. That they were too... Both were great though I think the HE90's were a little more to my liking. They didn't seem to lack anywhere to these ears, even in the bass department. Nice night topper
orphsmile.gif

Oh the irony... Electrostats are best powered up at the beginning of meets so they've charged a bit by the end!
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like you guys enjoyed 'em though. I didn't see the aCk! dAck! anywhere in those pics -- did Sergio take it out of the bag?

Aug 16, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
I didn't see the aCk! dAck! anywhere in those pics -- did Sergio take it out of the bag?

I see a dAck! in two of the pics.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
m7.jpg

m11.jpg

Aug 16, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Oh the irony... Electrostats are best powered up at the beginning of meets so they've charged a bit by the end!
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like you guys enjoyed 'em though. I didn't see the aCk! dAck! anywhere in those pics -- did Sergio take it out of the bag?

that ack dac belonged to vlad = mgd01 ? erhmm... miller geniune draft ? or was it md01 ... yeah i didnt mess with your dac eric, btw ive put up the binarual recording of our meet ...its an hour long!

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82443

Aug 16, 2004 at 10:39 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

ya... they missed out on a lot of stuff. but they seemed to like it despite that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back