SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Jan 23, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #31 of 54

Quote:
Iamoneagain, glad you liked the rig. It wasnt perfect and mostly mp3 and some wav files you guys could listen to. All my good recordings are in flax or ape. Next time I will have the Mac mini configured for playing those file types so you can really appreciate how good that setup is.

Yeah, I was wondering how good the files were and also saw it was playing directly from iTunes.  I know using other players like Audirvana + or Amarra can improve the sound even more on a Mac.  So knowing how good the music sounded without being optimized, makes me appreciate it even more.  

Yeah, if Gil sneaks in another meet before I move, I'll try to give your setup some more time.  Still undecided if I'll ever sell my rig, but if I get the urge to have a new sound that I know I'll like, this would be it.  I'll probably be able to make an even trade considering how much the L3000/DHA3000 are going for on the used market. Think the 009 are still out of my price range.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 54

Quote:
Thanks, Dan.  I appreciate the clarification.  

Hey, it's your birthday today, isn't it?

Yes, drat it, another one. And in spite of fighting - you would never guess it by looking at my beer (OK, gin) gut, but I jog about 12 miles a week these days - I feel older! 

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #33 of 54
So sad that I missed this - looked like a lot of great gear and a great location! I couldn't get out until later Saturday night - my road was closed both directions due to down lines leaving me in Issaquah, my gear in Redmond, and one cold headphone junkie :frowning2: I hope there's another chance this year, and I'll have the turntable & SACD mods done by then :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #34 of 54

Quote:
Yeah, I was wondering how good the files were and also saw it was playing directly from iTunes.  I know using other players like Audirvana + or Amarra can improve the sound even more on a Mac.  So knowing how good the music sounded without being optimized, makes me appreciate it even more.  

Yeah, if Gil sneaks in another meet before I move, I'll try to give your setup some more time.  Still undecided if I'll ever sell my rig, but if I get the urge to have a new sound that I know I'll like, this would be it.  I'll probably be able to make an even trade considering how much the L3000/DHA3000 are going for on the used market. Think the 009 are still out of my price range.

Yeah, i have given Audionirvana a try and it keeps failing every so often.

I really liked Decibel. Very noticable difference from using itunes and handles all file types.

Downside with decibel being that the version i tried you couldn't save playlists. 

And every time you ran it it would take a while to process the files since it plays directly from memory. I don't believe it has integration with the remote either which is a major downfall.

You are welcome to drop by for a listen if you ever find yourself in POrtland. Same goes for everyone else. Just drop me a Pm and give me a heads up.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #35 of 54
Happy Birthday Doc B.  I dont suppose you can raffle a tape machine for me next year?
tongue.gif

Quote:

You are welcome to drop by for a listen if you ever find yourself in POrtland. Same goes for everyone else. Just drop me a Pm and give me a heads up.

Should we all accidentally show up at once?
wink.gif

Thanks Gil for organizing another great meet . A big thanks goes to the people at Front Panel Express for allowing us to use there facilities, the door prizes,and the nice tour... and the beer for those who enjoyed it.

To all the mots, thank you for your contributions of door prizes, wisdom and great gear. 

To iamone, I hope your move goes well and happy listening to wherever you end up. It was always good to talk and listen to your setup.

As usual, between talking and wandering around looking at everything I dont get to listen to even half the equipment I wanted too.

It was really nice to finally hear the he6. I have heard so much about it. It has a large soundstage with plenty of detail to really allow great separation of instruments. The bass was well defined, but the mids are a little dry. A powerful warm tube amp would probably by awesome with it. It would be a can worth having if I didnt have to buy another amp for it. The marantz hooked up to it was pretty good though.

While on the subject of hifimen, the he400 left me wanting more....... more treble that is. While it had a large quanity of bass and nice creamy mids. it had less treble than the lcd2. That actually surprised me because of all the great hifimen cans that have large amounts of treble. The soundstage was small like the lcd also. It didnt have the clarity of the lcd2 and got a little congested in the mids when trying some large scale symphony, but that is comparing them to cans much more expensive.

Equues, Your rig is coming right along. I liked the bada and with the different tubes in the LF, it had a nice mix of detail and warmth. A little more work on the front end, and that bada/lf will really sing, even though, it sounds top notch as is.Looking forward to it.

I had a chance to listen to sachu's LL and 007 combo. Up till now, I havent liked the sound of stats. The few times i had listened to them they were all top heavy in the treble and light in the seat. This is the first time I have actually enjoyed the signature of stats. I have heard the 007 were darker, but until now, I hadnt experienced it. The ll/007 combo had plenty of bass presence while having a nice warmth to the mids and the highs wasnt ruling the roost. It now has me thinking about buying stax again.

I didnt manage to listen too to much else, at least not enough to really form an opinion. I missed a lot of gear that I wanted to hear like the peachtree, audio gd, whatever doc b had new, but I guess that leaves me something to do at the next meet.

Thanks to everyone that brought and shared there rigs and to everybody that helped setup and tear down.

Untill next time....

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 54
I hear you! Have been looking for a tube amp and should have one to drive the HE-6 definitely at the next meet.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #37 of 54
Some more thoughts.... Doc B is still packing them in like a Rock Star in his room. We do need to plan a meet at Bottlehead headquarters again. Love hopping on a ferry. Will be looking at more space this week for a future meet. We should name Doc B raffle contributions the KingStyles award. It was so awesome to see so many new faces. gurus you are still the "riff raff" from the north
tongue.gif
. It was nice to sip a beer listening to your rig. Very nice meet conditions. There was one meet where we had some really nice Gin. My thoughts are starting come out.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #38 of 54
it was nice meeting you gurus and listening to your rig. I will look forward to next time.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #39 of 54
I would like to thank everyone for a great event  This was my first time at an audio event. 
It was like going into a gourmet shop and sampling the best of the best.  I especially would like to thank the people that took the time and the great effort to bring their audio equipment and Front Panel Express for hosting the event.
It was incredible to see the dedication, time, passion and involvement of everyone there.  
All I needed was a nice recliner and more time to enjoy everyones setup. 
Beer, food, raffles, generosity, sharing, incredible sound and knowledge.  I think I went to heaven for a few hours. 
That was also the first time I think I had won a raffle.  WOW!
Thanks Gurus for letting me spend some extra time at your setup. 
It was nice to see the faces behind Bottlehead, and wish I knew more about what they were talking about!

Sam

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #40 of 54

It's unfortunate that the storm damage kept even some of the Seattle area locals from being able to attend.  

The drive to and from Portland was smooth sailing.  Smoother than usual for the Portland to Seattle drive even in good weather.  I made it back home at about 4 am.  Took a long nap and some Pink Floyd at a rest stop and was good to go.  I was a tired boy at the Pyramid brewery.

The meet was awesome.  Lots of gear.  Lots of people.  Lots of talking and catching up.  That's what the meets are for.

The Thunderpants were there.  So fun and nice to listen to.  They're going to bubble to the top of my want list so I can have a closed can again.

I've been on a quest for classical music sound.  Investigating what I can do to get a better classical music experience to my ears.  The LCD-2.2 can make my soul melt.  But the soundstage and slight closed in sound leaves me yearning for them to do more, especially with symphonic classical.  Listening to the LCD2 on the Liquid Fire and the Balancing Act.  Ahhhh...  Now that's how to get the LCD2 to do classical.  Such a treat and I'm sure I had a big grin.  Then back to my Lyr, and the magic gets dialed back.  I very much like both the Balancing Act and Liquid Fire with the LCD-2.

Then what comes in at the end of the meet.  The Sachu-007mk1.  :)
I got just a very quick listen to the 007.  I didn't want to take up time from others waiting.  I'll get to hear it again here in Stumptown so just a little taste was all I needed.  Listened to a quick sample of Ben Harper.  Nice.  Then on to the Beethoven.  Ahhh... Now that's how you do classical on headphones.  The soundstage is presented so perfect, so smoothly, so coherently.  There is no emphasis of the sound near the ears.  You don't hear the drivers near the ears or hear that the cups or pads are holding anything in.  The center of the soundstage fills in perfectly.  The far left and far right fill in perfectly.  The whole soundstage is in perfect balance.  Bliss.

So many interesting setups that I didn't get to listen to.  Not enough time and too much dinking aound on my part.  For example, I saw the Schiit Bifrost setup and wanted to give it a listen but forgot to go back.  Ah well, all the more reason to look forward to the next meet.

I won one of the Front Panel Express amps.  :)  Gave it a listen yesterday with my Grados.  Also got to hear it at the meet with the JVC headphones.  I'm going to have some fun listening with it.  I may put it by my bed so I can claim I have a bedside rig like all the cool head-fi'ers do.

Thanks Seattle for the great meet.

Jan 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #42 of 54
Great speakers.
I had 3.5s as my mains for my home theater many years ago.

Quote:
Someone at the meet mentioned that they were looking for Magnepan 3.6 loudspeakers. I've got them. They were replaced at my house by the 3.7. PM me.

Jan 24, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #44 of 54
Thanks FPE for hosting and for everyone who helped and turned out in making this a fun meet.  Highlight for me was definitely getting a listen to the Liquid Lightning and hearing what Stan's front end sounded like through my rig, but I spent most of the time hanging out, having a good time, and being yappy.

Quote:

I vote for a summer meet at Marymoor Park in Redmond.  I believe the picnic sheds have power...

Call me a paranoid wet blanket, but I'd prefer an enclosed space where it's easier to control traffic and the elements around my rig.  I'd still attend, but I doubt I'd have my rig there.  Would give me a chance to bring my portable rig though.
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #45 of 54
Man only got half my rig back today. No Sansui 9090 or Arcam 73t. Seattle weather!!!! That is all I could fit in the front of the pickup. Did listen to the FPE amp with some HD 280's and a netbook. It rocks. Will listen to more tomorrow. Still in meet mode tying up some loose ends. We will have to have some sort of meet to make up for the bad weather casualties. At least I get to listen to the Portaphile 627 a little more. It will be on the ferry to Bainbridge Island on Thursday. Glad to have some portable gear. Don't get to whip it out as much as I'd like. Almost forgot all the work involved bringing gear to meets. You newbies just wait. You will have a ritual on packing for a Head-fi Meet! And then setting it all back up after the meet. My poor Woo looked like it was stripped like a car sitting on blocks. But did order another GEC tube for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back