SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Dec 14, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #183 of 569
Just got some Thunderpants in the mail to bring to the meet. These just rock with the Sansui 9090db. Thunderpants have been a little hard to drive a bit. They just pound with enough power. Liking the sound.

Dec 16, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #184 of 569

Quote:
Just got some Thunderpants in the mail to bring to the meet. These just rock with the Sansui 9090db. Thunderpants have been a little hard to drive a bit. They just pound with enough power. Liking the sound.

Could not agree more.  Had the same experience with the 165 watt SX-1250.  I like the sound but after listening to the LCD-2, rev.1 on the bemourned Stacker that Ethan once had, I am pretty convinced that the LCD-2 is the better match.  But for closed cans, the TPs can't be beat, no way in hell.  Soundstaging is a bit limited tho...due to the closed nature, natch.  I like the HE-5 on the SX-1250 a bit more than the TP because of that. 

Am really looking forward to listening to the Sansui...heard plenty good about it on the vintage thread.

So far, I am planning (emphasis added) to bring the following:

Solid State: Marantz 2275
Rotel CD player

Tube: Cayin ST-50 tube output 
Opera Consonance Cyber-20 via Lavry DA10

Cans: TP, AKG 702, D7000, and AD2000
Dozen or so choice CDs
Power Conditioner

Santa has been sent back to the North Pole without an audio component on the list...went bananas on audio (especially with the Dunlavy SC-IV) this year so I was a bad boy....
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #185 of 569

Quote:
Santa has been sent back to the North Pole without an audio component on the list...went bananas on audio (especially with the Dunlavy SC-IV) this year so I was a bad boy....
evil_smiley.gif

One of the Pholks on Phonogram whose ears I trust uses the Dunlavy speakers. Congrats on acquiring them. Make yourself known at the meet and we'll chat.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #186 of 569
Curbfeeler: Sure will do as it will certainly be a pleasure to see you again. 
gs1000.gif

I also picked up an Adcom GFA-555 MkII to drive them and they sing with a Marantz 2275 serving as a preamp.  But to get the best sound experience with those Duns in my listening space, I find I have to sit in a 5 foot wide sweet spot, with the tweeters at ear level.  They are essentially huge monitor speakers and while pretty full range, would benefit from a sub.  Gonna be buried with them if I don't buy a MBL or Focal Utopia before then.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #187 of 569

Quote:
Curbfeeler: Sure will do as it will certainly be a pleasure to see you again. 
gs1000.gif

I also picked up an Adcom GFA-555 MkII to drive them and they sing with a Marantz 2275 serving as a preamp.  But to get the best sound experience with those Duns in my listening space, I find I have to sit in a 5 foot wide sweet spot, with the tweeters at ear level.  They are essentially huge monitor speakers and while pretty full range, would benefit from a sub.  Gonna be buried with them if I don't buy a MBL or Focal Utopia before then.

When I had the Dunlavy IVs I thought one of their strong point was the bass but then I was using Krells on them. Heavy MFs but great sound.

Dec 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #189 of 569
Too bad I'm not an adult. I'll try and make this one. If Seattle wasn't 3 hours away it would be much nicer.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #191 of 569
Been making IC's for my rig. Will have Gold And Rhodium Furutech connectors with the same wire. Do need to make some more power cables. Will try to make a few before the meet. Who else is making anything for the meet?

Dec 21, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #192 of 569
I made a HE-6 gold/silver cable that I can bring but it is terminated for speaker taps. Have some silver/silver WBT ICs I can bring if needed. I don't know if I should bring other stuff as I would be crossing the border both ways.

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #193 of 569
If you think you might need to bring it just bring it, you won't regret it. You will need it. Seen this time and time before. Just bring the gear that makes you happy. If you don't you may not get the experience you were lookin' for???

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #194 of 569
It only makes sense to bring them only if there is a HE-6 driven by a regular amp/receiver at the meet.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #195 of 569
talk about right place right time...im in seattle and i would love to get some demos
im looking to be showed whats the best...using my trusty mp3 player of course
i personally have tried a few headphones and my favs are the koss ktx pro 25/35 models
i have tried the dr dre solo beats...they werent bad but for the price...the koss wins
so seattle...show me whats best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back