SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Jan 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #406 of 569
Just found out about this today....and I've never been to one of the Head-Fi Meets (though I'm a long-time Head-Fi'er). 

Can I get added to the list?  Anything special I need to know?  I can bring some gear as well, for what it's worth: Klipsch X10, Modded Fostex T50RP (wood cups, Thunderpants-style), perhaps a pair of Grado SR125i.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #407 of 569
No hair gel or wet hair please. If you have a doubt or questions on working a system at the meet ask the owner of the rig and don't just go mess around.

Always turn down the volume before plugging and unplugging headphones.

Other than those just hang out and chill

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #408 of 569
I haven't read through the entire thread, but what are the details for meets like this?

Like do you need to bring stuff (I do not have anything too fancy)?
Does it cost anything? How long do the typically go for?

I suppose some of these things have probably been answered at some point, but I was considering trying to make it to one at some point and didn't really know what to expect. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #409 of 569

Quote:
I haven't read through the entire thread, but what are the details for meets like this?

Like do you need to bring stuff (I do not have anything too fancy)?
Does it cost anything? How long do the typically go for?

I suppose some of these things have probably been answered at some point, but I was considering trying to make it to one at some point and didn't really know what to expect. Thanks!

You don't need to bring stuff, but it's always fun to share.  Mostly we get together, listen to stuff, chat, and generally have a relaxing time.  There's no admission fee usually, though looks like you could buy a raffle ticket (since that's how the costs are usually defrayed).

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #410 of 569
Does FPE have a 220v plugin? I have the new Rein Audio X-DAC but it requires a 220v input...

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #411 of 569
Remind me before the meet and I will bring a step down transformer.

Quote:
Does FPE have a 220v plugin? I have the new Rein Audio X-DAC but it requires a 220v input...

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #413 of 569
Gear I am thinking about bringing (let me know if anything is doubled up and/or doesn't really need to be brought)

CharterOak SP-1
MB Quart QP805
MB Quart QP400 (potentially if I can borrow it)
Shure SRH-940 (if I still have it)
Sony Z-1000 (if I end up getting it)

Yulong D100 - unfortunately with this I do not want to lug my desktop to the meet and will be running an inferior source (via USB on a netbook instead of optical via desktop)

Will anyone have some balanced setups I can try out with the D100?  I've contemplated balancing the SP-1 and this seems like a perfect opportunity to hear some balanced setup and discuss with some of you more experienced users the benefits and methods of balancing.

Thanks

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #414 of 569
There will be 2 balanced setups I think. Usb out of a netbook can be pretty good. Why do you think it is inferior. Use jriver with its load into memory option and with a netbook it can run completely off of battery eliminating some power noise. Is it the dac sounds better with optical than usb?

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #415 of 569

Quote:
There will be 2 balanced setups I think. Usb out of a netbook can be pretty good. Why do you think it is inferior. Use jriver with its load into memory option and with a netbook it can run completely off of battery eliminating some power noise. Is it the dac sounds better with optical than usb?

This isn't something I have blind tested to confirm an actual subjective improvement from USB to optical.  In a non blind setup, it at least seems there is a tad more top end (high treble) presence with optical and it even seems a bit "faster" (better decay on the notes).  In contrast, the USB sounds a tad darker.  I need to actually test this blind to make sure I my brain isn't making these things up
smile.gif

Apparently it was a bad assumption to assume because I can upsample the music to 192 via optical and cannot do that via USB that USB is inferior to optical.

I read somewhere that the ASRC DAC in the D100 outputs 110kHz anyways regardless.  Yulong included some documents explaining the reasoning behind this.  I can find it if you are interested...

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #416 of 569
 New Portaphile 627 portable amp and a Foxl Bluetooth Portable Speaker came in for the meet. In Pic from left to right is The Portaphile V2'2, The Portaphile 627 and then the Foxl Speaker. 

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #417 of 569
R-audio   -  No problem, just wondering.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #418 of 569
Updated 1st post with more information.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #419 of 569
Alright, so I have about 2/3 of the desktop DAC's and amps on the table right now that will be available at the meet. Not including headphone, my DAP's, cables, and portable amps, obviously. Pictures from left to right: Rein Audio X-DAC - Burson Audio HA-160DS - Schiit Audio Valhalla OTL Valve Amp - HiFiMAN EF2A USB DAC & Headamp - Pro-Ject Head-Box II Amp.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #420 of 569
Please add me to the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back