Seattle meet AUGUST 20, 2011
Aug 15, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #136 of 175
I believe markj has the hd800 and I also have a lcd2 rev2 and the he500.

I am sure your dac will be fine.

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #137 of 175

Quote:
Big Poppa and the usual gang of goodniks all,

Glad to see this event is just around the corner...I am looking forward to it.  Am kind of up in the air as to what to bring besides my busted ears.  On account of Skylab posting a rave about vintage amplifiers, specifically the Pioneer SX-1250, I got myself one.  I have to say it does have an amazingly wonderful headphone out, plus alot of bells and whistles for tweaking the sound, depending on the kind of headphones one has.  My HE-5 and Thunderpants are finally able to blossom, much like they would if driven by the Lyr.  Less difficult headphone loads with less need for power get their chance to shine as well.

But the catch with bringing that unit is the fact it is a monster to haul at 70+ pounds and it is 22 inches wide.  If youse guys want to partake of a 1976 model take-no-prisoners design from the height of the amplifier wattage wars (at one time it was the most powerful amplifier built, at 165 watts/8 ohm) and get a taste of cost-no-object R & D efforts from back then, I suppose I could humour ya alls with it.  Lemme know.

Otherwise I would bring my Rotel source, EF-5 or Opera Cyber-20 for tubeheads I know lurk in that thar crowd, and a few cans for flavor savoring.

Am quite excited to partake of a few of you gentlemen's toys I haven't had the temerity to try before....am a much more seasoned listener thanks to you guys so the confidence in understanding what I am hearing helps with getting past that.

Thanks, Gil, for the invite.  I might have a friend or two come by and get they MP3-besotted ears cleaned.

I'm very interested in vintage gear - especially silver faced Pioneer. If you bring your SX-1250, I'll help you carry it!

Your post gave me an idea so I plugged my Oppo BDP-83 into my Pioneer SA-5800 integrated amp. With HD-650's, The Pioneer sounds better than the Schiit Asgard I had on loan for a week.

I haven't decided on which headphones and amp I'm going to live with. I'm very excited about hearing a wide variety of setups to help me decide what my first system will be.

Is anyone bringing a Peachtree Audio Decco or Nova by chance? I'm very interested in those. Also, maybe an NAD integrated amp or receiver? I've read that they have good headphone stages built-in.

If anyone is curious about how my 33 year-old integrated Pioneer amp sounds (worth as much as $40 at auction!), I'll bring my SA-5800 for others to try.

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #138 of 175
Palmfish, bring your gear. It will be much appreciated. Will update the list shortly. So excited about the meet.

Aug 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #141 of 175
Hey all, its looking very promising that I will be making it to the meet...*crossing fingers*....Soungs like it will be a great meet!  

If business does not call me away i will bring my RWA Isabellina LFP-V and LCD-2 (if they arrive in time).  

Tink97

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #142 of 175
Ive got a slight problem. My wife just got her schedule changed so she is working Saturdays now. I can still come and bring the Lyr, K1000 and so on but I will have a 9 month baby strapped to my chest. He is well mannered and I know the headfi folks are also so I have no problem taking him elsewhere if his patients run short and just leave my gear for others to play with and of course Ill come back and pack it all up. Do any of you have an issue with my little one being in tow?

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #143 of 175

Quote:
Do any of you have an issue with my little one being in tow?

I personally don't have a problem with it, as I'm sure you'll be careful and respectful when the little one is around equipment and what not.  And I'll try to curb my more colorful language. 
wink_face.gif

Good to see some new names and some folks who are in for their second meet.

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #144 of 175
No problem with the little one. Does the baby prefer brahms or mozart to go to sleep to?
tongue.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #145 of 175
lol, not sure on the brahms or mozart question. Ill have him in one of those bjorn baby backpack deals on my chest so he will not be able to reach for or touch anything. And of course if he decides to cry Ill book it straight out of the place so he doesnt disturb anyone for more than a brief moment.

Im not as concerned with trying anyone's gear this time around but I want others to have the opportunity that I had as far as trying out gear, so I really want to bring my stuff down for others to test with. Im on a brief gear hiatus as Ive been spending my money on photography equipment lately. Ill start buying audio gear again in a bit though Im sure as its my first love.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #146 of 175
I imagine a 9 month old baby may impact the budget available quite a bit too. 
wink_face.gif

I'm sure folks will appreciate your willingness to share your gear at the meet.  I'd also start the little one on Brahms...for no real particular reason.

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #147 of 175
Palmfish:  Thanks for the offer to help lug the Pioneer.  We will see how it goes..I plan to get there early enough to grab a table strategically placed close to where Pseudohippy's young' un hangs out...I am sure between my headphone noise leakage and his cries, we will be rockin' the bowels of the Queen Anne...
biggrin.gif

I will also bring my Lavry DA10 DAC and cables (S/PDIF and Toslink) for those of you who might want to plug it in to their system and do a comparison with their current setup....It could be a dicey proposition since the Lavry does not accept RCA inputs and most source components do not have S/PDIF outputs.  I have it optically connected between my PC soundcard and Opera headphone amp for PC-music listening and I think it is a mighty fine DAC.  But that is just my ears....LOL. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #148 of 175
Is anyone else coming to the meet from Portland?

I am seriously thinking about leaving my gear at home and ride up to the meet on my motorcycle through 101 and bainbridge..so if anyone else is driving up from Portland i can hand off my gear to you and pick it back up when we are back in Portland. Just putting it out there.

Aug 17, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #149 of 175
pseudohippy I can help you with your son, no problem. I have brought my avatar to a meet when he was smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back