Seattle/Eastside 5/26 meet impressions
May 27, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 45
I took a few pictures, but don't have a card reader to get them out of my camera. The picture of two people at a time listening to the K1000's is not nearly as impressive as the four who got together the same weekend to compare amps.
smily_headphones1.gif

It was great to meet everyone, and to try out all the cool gear. The prototype that Sergio brought was a really good sounding portable!

I also listened to some Grados - had never heard any before! - and some Sennheiser HD650's. The Grados added a lot of energy to the music, but were a bit bright for me. The Sennheiser HD650's were a little more laid back, but I think I preferred the sound. I also tried the Beyerdynamic 990's, and liked them a lot. Great smooth sound and extremely comfortable. I could fall for the velour pads.

Gary has great headphones. Both the K1000's - out of my price range at this time - and the Stax SR-X's really impressed me. (Gary: I bid on, but lost, both auctions on e-bay.
smily_headphones1.gif
) I suspect that I'll be looking for both of them in the future. I wish the Stax were a little more comfortable. Are any of the higher-end ones?

It was a great time, and I hope I'll be in town to come see y'all again. If not, I'll just have to look forward to the silicon valley meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll post some pictures if I ever get them out of my camera.

Thanks for putting this all together, Young!

May 28, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #19 of 45
No one can chime in to help out flashbak? I thought a few of you had some extended time with the Lisa.

If anyone left behind a Radio Shack optical cable, let me know 'cause I have it.

May 28, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #20 of 45
The Lisa proto with SENN 650'S through Sergio's Ipod was unbelievable. I explained it as very liquid the sound was life like, very uncompressed, and such a pleasure to listen to. If you listen to this amp is so easy to forget that it is portable. I listened to a hornet unmodified and I really liked it more than my brand new Tomahawk. The hornet is nowhere near the LISA in the SQ . It is still a very nice portable amp by no means, BUT The LISA Proto sets the standard in SQ for potable amps. I don't care what the size is compared to other amps, the LISA will blow your mind and make you forget what it looks like. It could be a 10 pound brick and I would not care. The sound is what I have been looking for in amp that I could take anywhere. If you have a chance to listen to it DO IT!!!! You will leave with a smile.

May 28, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 45
Great meet!, Great fun!
tongue.gif

Thanks for organizing the meet Socrates63! Thanks everyone for bringing all your goodies!

What I noticed about the LISA was LISA / Koss55 woodies have GREAT synergy together. I was "WOW"ed when listened to the combo the first time, very impressive sound, especially considering the KSC55's are lowly $20 phones. Didn't spend much time listening to the other phones with the LISA though, I spent too much time playing with the SinglePower
tongue.gif
(Thanks for bringing that, Socrates63!, I have never realize how much great bass my 990/600's are capable of
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

For some reason I have the impression the LISA sounds better than the PPA's? Maybe it is due to the LISA was using batteries while the PPA's were using wall power....

Thanks again everyone, we definitly need to do it more often..... And a special thank you to Josh for the Alizee cd, now I can play the sounds all day long again.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For some reason I have the impression the LISA sounds better than the PPA's? Maybe it is due to the LISA was using batteries while the PPA's were using wall power....

The batteries definitely would make a difference. I think a few other people noticed some subtle popping noises with some of the wall-powered amps as well (probably from the library air conditioning) but in general batteries will provide some very smooth power.

If my Shunyata Hydra didn't weigh so much, I would consider bringing it to combat the noise!
eek.gif

Yeah, a mini meet some time this summer will be fun. I really want to spend some time with my HD600s and the Singlepower. Next time 'round we might want to have the tables along the walls which would give us more space to pull up a chair and listen.

Another thing we might want to try is what Tyll did at San Jose: the first 30 minutes of each hour were dedicated to talking about products, the second 30 minutes were dedicated to silence and listening.

May 29, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #23 of 45
Great looking meet folks! The Seattle crew looks great and brought together a very nice collection of gear as well. Plus I am glad to finally have a few pics of my man Socrates so I know what he looks like when he's posting! Looking forward to making a Seattle meet sometime.

cheers!

May 29, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #24 of 45
You caught me, Al. I was a little miffed that I couldn't attend The Meet last month. For my part, this was a small attempt to ease some of the pain and satiate some unfed desire for all things Head-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Basically, this was my first Head-Fi meet (my one hour stay at the Headroom tour in Seattle two years ago notwithstanding), and it was, for lack of better words, a strange experience being in the presence of others who share the same joy and passion about headphones and music. Usually, friends, family and coworkers kinda look at me a little funny.
wink.gif

I should thank you and the others who worked on the SJ meet since this meet was inspired by bhjazz who had the good fortune to attend the SJ meet and returned to Seattle gushing about how we needed to have one here.

BTW, there are betters photos of yours truly. I'd hate to leave a bad impression
biggrin.gif
. Check out the recent Ball and Chain-Fi thread.

May 29, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashbak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Big Poppa,
Any word at the meet as to when the Lisa III will be released and its price?

No word around the campfire YET!!!! Everybody will know..... It won't be like the Diablo release.

May 29, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #27 of 45
it will be put up on the triadaudio website just like everything else to make it official.

btw, anyone know where i can find those 1/8 mini jack to toslink optical cables, noone seems to be make them anymore, not even ratshack, i want to get that binaural off my minidisc .. and dont wanna have to use the analog out

May 29, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by xtreme4099 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it will be put up on the triadaudio website just like everything else to make it official.

btw, anyone know where i can find those 1/8 mini jack to toslink optical cables, noone seems to be make them anymore, not even ratshack, i want to get that binaural off my minidisc .. and dont wanna have to use the analog out

Hey X-4099 you can find them on E-Bay 4 bucks, I can order you one!!! We BBQ'd tonight, NO MAMONES....lol

May 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #29 of 45
Right on .. hehe ... yeah i gave mine away a long time ago before i had the MD ... and i now noone makesm ..What ...

May 29, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #30 of 45
They're not common but you can still find optical cables with the mini on one end and full size toslink on the other. More common is the adapter plugs to convert full size toslink to the mini. Headroom sells the converter for a $1, iirc. Radio Shack should have it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back