Searick Budget Mp3 Player (Obscure DAP)
Dec 13, 2022 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jayteeare

Head-Fier
Many of you might have seen this DAP on eBay, and I've owned it for a couple years now.

Talk about the "butterface effect". The body, sleek design, and high quality metal contruction on ths mini device is better than any of even the most modern DAPs of the same size, however, the GUI is bafflingly retro and non-user friendly.
ua
For those of you with programming skills, is there a simple way to backwards engineer the whole GUI, or better yet, remove the OS from it and swap it to something more usuable like Rockbox?

I suppose the same question would go for any other DAP with the same antiquated OS; how would one tap into the OS, and hack it and reprogram it to be more usuable? What programming language would be kep in knowing in order to do this? Do programs exist that would allow for a Visual Basic type build from the groung up?

Attachments

• searick.jpg
    searick.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #2 of 2
Many of you might have seen this DAP on eBay, and I've owned it for a couple years now.

Talk about the "butterface effect". The body, sleek design, and high quality metal contruction on ths mini device is better than any of even the most modern DAPs of the same size, however, the GUI is bafflingly retro and non-user friendly.
ua
For those of you with programming skills, is there a simple way to backwards engineer the whole GUI, or better yet, remove the OS from it and swap it to something more usuable like Rockbox?

I suppose the same question would go for any other DAP with the same antiquated OS; how would one tap into the OS, and hack it and reprogram it to be more usuable? What programming language would be kep in knowing in order to do this? Do programs exist that would allow for a Visual Basic type build from the groung up?

I modified the firmware of a budget aliexpress brandless mp4 player (another different that you posted). I changed the icons and background images.

Rockbox port can be do it, but it's a real hard thing, far from "visual basic" thing. I opened a thread in rockbox forum talking about that.

It's the cheapest touchscreen mp4 portable player that I've seen: around 18 $ shipment included, and it can play real mp4 files in his tiny 160x128 pixels screen.

DAC is crappy, but that doesnt matter if you use bluetooth headphones.

Here is the video that I did about that:

battery is crappy too (210mAh), but you can't ask more for 18$ :smile:.

The SoC is a ARM 208 Mhz processor with 4 MB RAM and 4 MB NOR memory. It has bluetooth, FM radio (radio can't work through bluetooth) and it can play AAC audio files and MP4 video files.

You can identify in Aliexpress and Shopee shops because it has a red/black box with a skull image and the text "Rockstar", but it's really brandless.

Bluetooth works fine to play audio/video files, and even it can receive/send files through bluetooth, but it can not be used to listen radio even if you connect a headphones as antenna.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back