Searching for workinghorse IEMs in the range up to 250€
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ruebezahl

New Head-Fier
Cheers,

after reading tons of sides and reviews, I'm still not in the position to easily choose something... But I guess it would be more easy for you, to help me, when I would start with what I'm searching for.

Well, we in german name that a "eierlegende Wollmilchsau", which would be a pig, that is able to lay eggs, has wool and is able to give milk, so in the end, is the opposit of a one-trick-pony :)

I'm a fan of handmade music, mostly listening to (post-)rock, stoner, doom up to black or melodic death metal, but also listen to blues, jazz and sometimes classical music. I don't want to use a ton of IEMs to get what I want...
At the moment I don't have just "average" stuff for playing my music, a Nokia 8, a San Disk Sansaclip Jam or my old Akai AM-67 amp. So it would be perfect if the IEM would run with that equipment, without needing a headphone amp. Also the isolation shouldn't be missing. At home I'm listening to music while vacuumcleaning the apartment or winding guitar/bass pickups. They don't have to silence everything completely but to give an example, a Superlux HD330 is too opened for my taste.

As a normal sized headphone I have a ATH-M50X, that really is sounding nice, but after finding some love in the IEM section (I will write about that, very soon), it could be a bit more balanced (and I really hate the quality of the ear pads...GRRR).

I have checked some IEMs:
- Superlux 381 (thousand years ago, can't remember much, but I liked the fact, that they were very much on the neutral side, as the V shaped Sennheiser CX ??? I had before and sounded damn ugly, as I compared them...)
- Philips SHE8000 (also V shaped, what I liked a time, but in the beginning of a comparison against some other IEMs that I started 2-3 weeks ago, I found out, that I don't really like their sibilants and their sound)
- Philips SHE9100 (nice neutral sounding, not bad for the buck, but can be a bit sterile sounding with acoustic guitars)
- KZ ED16 (they came and were a bit of a WOW... I liked these, but after a while I noticed, that they have this ugly peak in the highs, that make cymbals in some recordings almost painful.. and annoying.. that's hte reason why I gave them away)
- KZ ATE (I've removed the red mesh material from the noozle (I hope this is the right word..haha) and I like them. They are on use at work and are fine for listening to music their, while working or while going to lunch, but they aren't that well balanced for my taste, but good enough to have fun with them)
- KZ ZST Pro (after doing the Slater Mod I kinda like them. The harsh highs are not painful even more, but still are noticeable. Good for going to gym, because when listening to "pushing" music, their sounding gives that a little plus, also the isolation is quiet good, but like the ATE they aren't really perfect for me, but good enough, to be used, when this makes any sense)
- Audio Technica IM50 (good build-quality, nice cables, not the best isolation, but with the KZ starline tips it is very ok and comfortable to wear... v shaped, which makes fun in some songs, but there is a peak at distorted guitars, not at every song..to be honest, it doesn't happen that often and it seems more on cheaper produced/recorded stuff, it CAN be a bit harsh, what is a bummer for me, because buildwise, it is my best IEM at the moment)
- Havi B3 Pro1 (not the best build quality speaking about the used cables, which aren't changable. But soundwise I love them. Coming from a V shaped in ear, I always kinda miss the bass impact, but after 1-2 minutes of listening, I'm absolutely ok with it, because there isn't anything missing or too much. Very nice balance, good details and since I've changed to KZ starline tips, I'm pleased with everything. Very comfortable, but the cable feel a bit thin and there is nothing to keep the cables behind the ears)

I guess I want something like the Havi B3 Pro1, but... better, when this make any sense. I like the way this IEM sounds, but I'm quiet sure, there are better ones.. better details..better build...and so one...

If you know one, feel free to add your suggestion :)

Cheers
Chris

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your suggestions :)
I've looked at the ibasso and was interested, but it seems, that this IEM is a bit more on the fun side, so with at least some "plus" in the lower notes and I would love to have something more neutral for home :)
The Magaosi BK50Pro doesn't look uninteresting, but I'm not really sure, if this IEM is really an upgrade. I don't say it is bad, but at the price point of around 50-60 Bucks I think the possibilities are limited (as with every budget there are limits) for what the company can install speaking of the drivers. That's the reason why I said, ok, the 250€ mark is a point, where I think, manufactors can build something damn good. I know, there are a ton of IEMs that cost very much more then 250€ and maybe are even better, but I guess at some point you pay for every % that the headphone is better, very much money and I also know, that better is a point of taste. So 250€ is at the moment the absolut maximum, I'm going to spend on a headphone and yes, I'm quiet I'm going some more cheaper IEMs for at least having some fun or to replace the IEMs I'm using at gym and at work at the moment, but that's a different story and at the moment, I'm just looking for a well made IEM in the price range of 250€, that is maybe competitive with IEMs that cost even more money.. so the bang for the buck workinghorse with a neutral shaping, that can handle the music I'm listening to and isn't too bad at isolation. It shouldn't have too harsh highs or sounding sterile on acoustic guitar songs... balanced.. as I said, like the Havi B3 Pro1 :)
But it could be easier to drive as the Havi, because the Havi needs a lot of power to come to life. When I switch to a KZ or the IM50s and forget to go down with volume, it really hurts :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #8 of 9
To be honest, I've looked at the ZS10 a few times, but after reading the reviews, I'm not very impressed... the ZSR are at the moment the only KZ IEMs that interest me. But thank you for the suggestion. Why do you think, it would fit?
After reading some stuff I'm more at:
- Etymotic ER3XR
- Brainwavz B400
- Pinnacle P1
- LEAR LHF-AE1d
- FiiO FH5
:)

Aug 26, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 9
To be honest, I've looked at the ZS10 a few times, but after reading the reviews, I'm not very impressed... the ZSR are at the moment the only KZ IEMs that interest me. But thank you for the suggestion. Why do you think, it would fit?
After reading some stuff I'm more at:
- Etymotic ER3XR
- Brainwavz B400
- Pinnacle P1
- LEAR LHF-AE1d
- FiiO FH5
:)
Extended top and bottom without sibilance. Good value for the dollar. Fairly well made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back