Searching for the Perfect Earbud- Can you help me out, Please?
Oct 27, 2005 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

josimcy

Head-Fier
I know you need plenty of info, so here it is:
My E888s just gave out on me (left ear doesn't work anymore), and I need a new earbud. I will ONLY CONSIDER NON IEM CANAL 'PHONES. I don't want isolation, but I NEED portability (meaning no Grados, etc). Therefore, I need a good earbud. I listen to mostly Top 40, Adult Alternative style music (piano/strings driven). I want an earbud that emphasizes detail, highs, and clarity over bass (not as important to me). I tried the CM7ti and had a bad experience (right earbud distorted badly, warranty had expired)

Help me out guys! Any suggestions are welcomed. My only price range is less than $250. I liked the sound of modded-E888s, but hated the poor build quality. Help me find my perfect earbud please
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,
Joe

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 22
Under $250!
Didnt know they made buds that high...
check out my recent thread "half buds, half iem"-i listed this new sony that could be the answer to out prayers...
its cheap though!

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #6 of 22
The AKG K14P are very clear transparent and REFINED. Not much bass,
but you said you don't care about bass.

I also recommend the SONY MDR-E10. Just angle drivers slightly away
from the ear canal like the drivers on the Sennheiser PX10. The E10's
are cheap enough to try out. For $15 or less you got nothing to lose.

I missed the part where you had bad luck with the CM7. Sorry.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 22
The K14P have very high build quality (better than SONY 888) in spite of their much lower price.
Their midrange and treble are comparable to the SONY 888 although the
SONY 888 probably has more bass. An electronic bass boost might
help with the bass issues on the K14P. The SONY 888 was more
comfortable than the K14P to most people.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 22
Thanks! I am most concerned with the sound quality comparison, specifically how the amount of detail compares and crispness of the highs/mids between the 2. All the other things (comfort, etc), I can deal with.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 22
I've gotta say, just get another pair of E888s. Nothing else comes close to them when modded, IMO.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #11 of 22
The K14P is as crisp and detailed as it gets (other than CM7 perhaps). The better the source the better the sound. Definetly worth a try.

I got them cheap by ordering them through a pro audio store whose
distributor carried AKG.

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 22
How the highs sound to you and everyone else depends a lot on how the
better buds fit (and are positioned in your ear). The CM7, K14P, E10, MX's and SONY 888 all have different fits to each individual's ear; hence different
treble perceptions. Just spend the $30 for the K14P and try them out.

Or do the modded SONY 888 thing whatever that is.

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #13 of 22
I might try the K14P, at this point I am just looking for the absolute best alternative to the E888s. As much as I would love to get the E888s again, I am wary of their poor build quality.

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #14 of 22
What part of the E888s do you feel is poorly built? I've always found mine to be very sturdy at every point, probably the only fault with them is the driver membrane being rather accessible to the outside world, and that's my own fault since I took the screens off
biggrin.gif
Maybe you just got a dodgy pair?

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 22
it's possible, but what messed up on me was the coating of the wiring, which separated at the tip where the phone meets the wiring. I babied these things, so I don't get it. Also, I'd be afraid to do the mod again because when I carefully and gently took off the grill, the whole housing came away from the backing, and then the rubber ring didn't want to reattach correctly. I don't know, I'm wary, but they do sound awfully good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back