Searching for the Perfect DAC and AMP
Jul 28, 2009 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

CB1990

Head-Fier
Hello to All....
this is my first official thread on this wonderful site that has literally inundated my brain with infinite amounts of information. I thank everyone for taking the time to review basically every product out there. I have been reading for the past 4 days basically over 6 hours a day and narrowed it down to the following unit:
Audio GD Compass (Amp/DAc combo)
I have a pair of AKG K702s and shure SE530s and want to drive these cans to the max. The only reason i havent stopped at the Audi GD Compass is because I am looking for something that is going to last me for a long time ( in the sense of upgrading). I looked at the Audio GD C2C which is supposed to be phenomenal but that would mean I need to get a DAC along with it...any recommendations?

Basically my price budget is 600 (hopefully i can find used)for both a DAC and AMP (either combo or solo) Let me know your opinions suggestions etc....

Also I have no problem of getting into the world of Tube amps such as those made by LD (littledot) or darkvoice....so whats the ultimate setup i can have for under 500-600

Thanks to everyone !!!

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 3
It depends which one you keep for the long run. I feel like if you spend half and half on dac/amp, then you'll upgrade them later at the same time which could become costly. however if you spend more on the amp, you'll want to upgrade the dac first since your amp will be better. I'm guessing if you get the C2C, you'll want to upgrade the dac first since you'll only have about ~200 for a DAC. There's nothing wrong with that but you probably won't keep it as long.

with your price budget as 600, you could get a benchmark DAC1 on audiogon. I think that would last you a while. definitely a lot longer than the compass. I got my compass in april and i'm already contemplating an upgrade. But then again it's all about how much will power you have to resist the upgrade :p

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 3
ive heard great things about the benchmark DAC 1 and the good thing about it is if i bought it now at 600ish i could most likely sell it in a while at the same price if I wasnt happy. Ill have to read about it and make sure its a good investment. I was looking into getting the C2C but you are right spending 200 on a DAC wouldnt be wise for something like the C2C...guess ill have to read reviews on the benchmark now. Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back