Searching for the best analyzing, not "colouring", monitoring headphones
Dec 26, 2006 at 11:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Le Dechaine

New Head-Fier
Well, the title says it all
rolleyes.gif

Any recommendations?

More exactly, i want precision, nothing else. This may be weird to say, but i want to hear the output of my sound card, not what the headphones want me to hear. I know, what i want just doesn't exists
cool.gif
and there is no *perfect* headphones, there is (sadly) no *flat* frequency-response headphones, but, in short, i want to know, according to your facts and opinions, what is your closest-to-perfect reference analyzing headphones.

Like i said, i want precision, nothing else. So i don't care about price, comfort, portability, or if they're cute or not
biggrin.gif
Finally, just see that as a referendum about which headphone is the best analyzing, not "colouring", monitoring headphone.

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 72
The ER4S has a very flat, neutral response. It is designed to give the same response at the eardrum as a source coming from outside the ear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Wilson
Several engineers and myself did a study in a radio station recording studio in chicago for an AES meeting when the ER-4's first came out. We compared several different recordings through a pair of room equalized loudspeakers. The participants listened to the same recording through the loudspeakers and the ER-4 one ear at a time. We played the recordings through the ER-4B with several different equalizations. The participants voted as to which response sounded the closest to the loudspeakers. After we graphed the answers we discovered that the ER-4S had the closest response to the speakers.

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 72
These are my opinions only, and others may offer more suggestions.

Koss 4AA Pro Titanium - (I own them, others don't like them)
AKG K701 - (I own them)
UE triple.fi 10 pro - (I own them, was to be #15 or #16 but #196 of 1000 but your wait may be March 2007. These can replace all my full sized phones.)
UE 10 pro custom - (from others responses)
ER4S - (from others responses)

Happy listen with whatever choice you make. Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 72
I'd say the K701 would fit your bill. You can clearly hear each instrument and the air around it. Its very nuetral sounding as well.

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 72
K701 for sure. It was so neutral...it was boring to me...so I sold it
tongue.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 72
Definitely Etymotic Research ER-4S

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 72
ER-4B is even more neutral than ER-4S/P. It is THE ultimate in "neutral" headphones. If you look at the frequency response graph, it has THE flattest response.

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #11 of 72
If you want something truly flat, the AD700 is for you
http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/ath-ad700.html
ath-ad700_f.gif

If you look at the other graphs on this site NONE of them has a curve as flat as the AD700.

For comparison.
Here is one for the ER-4P
graphCompare.php

And for ER-4S
graphCompare.php

The AD700 is flatter than both ^_^

Keep in mind though that these and the AD700 graphs do not come from the same place. So they could be inaccurate.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 72
You cannot compare an in-ear monitor and a large full-size headphone like that. The ER4 is designed to take into account the lack of ear interactions, which is why it has the FR is does.

Furthermore, that HeadRoom graph is incorrect.

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado HP-1000

They are few and far between, but this would be my recommendation.

He might be too drawn into the music to be able to analyze it with this one
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 72
Yup it is incorrect.
Don Wilson from etymotic reported that headphone.com's testing equipment wasn't accurate enough to test the earphones.
Here are the ones from etymotic's site
er-4_graph.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back