searching for super melodic black metal (dimmu borgir style)
Jul 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
HI all. I really love all kinds of metal. lately i am in search for melodic black metal. i have two albums of dimmu borgir which i really like and also two albums of summoning(but they are of different kind!), but i don't like all this "old school" black metal albums (like dissection and arcturus...although the arcturus is nice but the sound is Awful!) , only the "new sound" if you know what i mean. if you know some melodic black metal bands i will be very glad to take your recommendations.

it doesn't have to be melodic all the time (it's still black metal) but i prefer it to be melodic most of the time. I also prefer "real melodies" and not only symphonic style. GEE...maybe there are non?
confused_face_2.gif
hope you can help me here,
thanks guys!

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 25
Black metal is not death metal; black metal is not non-melodic by nature. Hence any black metal counts as "melodic black metal". But if you are looking for *relatively* well produced, accessible black metal here are a few recs:

Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design, Nightwork
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape
Keep of Kalessin - Armada
Windir - Arntor

Jul 9, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 25
Hijack!
SA/others: Got any recommendations for stuff more in the vein of Dissection and/or Stormblast era DB?

(happy to make a new thread if OP wishes, but I think it can coexist in here happily)

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black metal is not death metal; black metal is not non-melodic by nature. Hence any black metal counts as "melodic black metal".

thanks for the recommendations. from my experience so far, most death metal albums i heard were melodic and most black metal were not...so i don't understand.
If you heard some melodic death metal albums, than this is the kind of melodies i am looking for (arch enemy,at the gates,amon amarch etc.)...only in black metal. i am familiar with the "standart" black metal melodies and riffs and i am looking for something more than that, but i guess there is no such thing.

in fact i heard immortal yesterday and it is certainly the sound i am looking for but not so much melodic imo.
i will check the other suggetions too,but i guess it's all the same.

Jul 9, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Catamenia's Location:COLD is a favourite of mine. Doesn't rely too heavily on synths either as I recall.

thank you!! this is it. just listened to them on last fm. and liked what i heard. real melodies! i will be glad to get more recommendations for this style.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you!! this is it. just listened to them on last fm. and liked what i heard. real melodies! i will be glad to get more recommendations for this style.

I don't know of any more bands like them personallly, but if you search for "melodic black metal: with the Metal Archives advance search, about a thousand matches come. How many of those matches are any good, or really what you're looking for, I can't say.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 25
I got a copy of Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale and it took me several listens before I 'got it'. Haven't bothered with other Arcturus albums though.
... other than that, Dusk and Her Embrace by Cradle of Filth was the album that got me into Dimmu Borgir (via the drummer Nick Barker). Unfortunately Cradle got rubbish a couple of albums later.
Fun fact: Danni Filth, lead singer of Cradle of Filth was drinking in his local pub in rural North Essex (not that far from where I live in the UK). At the end of a good evening's booze he asked for someone to walk with him home as he, get this, was afraid of the dark. /sigh

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a copy of Arcturus' La Masquerade Infernale and it took me several listens before I 'got it'. Haven't bothered with other Arcturus albums though.
... other than that, Dusk and Her Embrace by Cradle of Filth was the album that got me into Dimmu Borgir (via the drummer Nick Barker). Unfortunately Cradle got rubbish a couple of albums later.
Fun fact: Danni Filth, lead singer of Cradle of Filth was drinking in his local pub in rural North Essex (not that far from where I live in the UK). At the end of a good evening's booze he asked for someone to walk with him home as he, get this, was afraid of the dark. /sigh

biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by invisiman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know of any more bands like them personallly, but if you search for "melodic black metal: with the Metal Archives advance search, about a thousand matches come. How many of those matches are any good, or really what you're looking for, I can't say.

i will try that,thanks.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 25
If you're looking for a band similar to Dimmu Borgir, try Carach Angren. These dutch guys create the same music as DB, but with 4 persons only.

Encyclopedaedia Metallum
MySpace
Official Site

A couple of bands you probably know already, but still worth mentioning:

Dissection (Great BM)
Covenant (aka The Kovenant (check out Nexus Polaris!)
Old Man's Child (Band of "Galder", a member of Dimmu Borgir)
Anthelion (Taiwanese(!) BM)
Satyricon (Great BM band!)
And finally... Emperor You should check this out, especially Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by papamike013 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for a band similar to Dimmu Borgir, try Carach Angren. These dutch guys create the same music as DB, but with 4 persons only.

Encyclopedaedia Metallum
MySpace
Official Site

A couple of bands you probably know already, but still worth mentioning:

Dissection (Great BM)
Covenant (aka The Kovenant (check out Nexus Polaris!)
Old Man's Child (Band of "Galder", a member of Dimmu Borgir)
Anthelion (Taiwanese(!) BM)
Satyricon (Great BM band!)
And finally... Emperor You should check this out, especially Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk

HI, thanks for the comments. I don't know all the bands you mentioned, but i do know emperor and they are amazing in the technical part (maybe the most technical i ever heard) but they are not so melodic.

about dimmu borgir...they are very good imo, the album i love the most is "enthrone darkness triumphant" becasue it is very melodic (compairing to their other albums). i liked their later albums less because they are more symphonic melodic which is not my taste. this is the genre i am looking for in general but perhaps more melodies will not hurt.

for now, the "location:cold" album from catamenia is the most melodic black metal i heard so far. i will get this album next week...their other albums is also nice but not like this one.
I don't mind for a little fusion of other genres as well (it's even welcome!) so it doesn't have to be only 100% pure black metal. the important thing is that it will be as melodic as possible.

thanks again for the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back