Searching for over-ear headphones
Jun 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theclaudia

New Head-Fier
So I've done a lot of headphone research on these forums in the past, but this is my first time asking a question. I recently decided to venture into the realm of $100+ headphones, and I just bought a pair of V-Moda Crossfade LP2s. I'm in love with the sound. Those of you familiar with them know the bass is boosted and definitely punchy, but never boomy and doesn't drown out the rest of the spectrum. That's all basically exactly what I want. (For those not familiar, I'd also compare the level of bass boost to the Klipsch Image S4, which is my go-to in-ear for below $100.) I already have studio headphones and find the flat response bland for casual listening, so I'm not looking for that.

The problem with the LP2s is comfort - I find that my ears are too big for the cups, although I think of my ears as pretty normal-sized, and they end up being slightly supraaural. Essentially, I'm looking for a closed headphone with the sound quality/general frequency response of the V-Moda Crossfade LP2, with a larger cup. Comfort is a big priority. I've tried the Bose AE2s and find them deliciously comfy but don't want to stoop to buying non-noise-canceling Bose phones. My budget is around $200. Do you guys have any suggestions? Currently considering the Munito Pro40s (used for $150). Thanks in advance!

Jun 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 4
Ha. Maybe I'm not the only one with this problem, thanks so much for the ref. I'll probably buy a pair of those and hope it fixes the problem. Would still love to hear recs from anyone, in case the replacement pads don't pan out. 

Jun 12, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 4
If the XL pads don't help much (and honestly, I did not care for the Crossfade LP2s), then here's a few headphones I think you would like, my biases aside:
  1. Munitio Pro40
  2. M-Audio Q40
  3. Audio Technica WS99
  4. Audio Technica EWS9A
  5. Sony MDR-1R
Last one has somewhat shallow pads so if your ears jut out, don't buy it. They'll hit the baffle plate and might result in discomfort over a period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back