Searching for inexpensive Manual Focus Dig.Camera
Mar 23, 2007 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Sir Nobax

500+ Head-Fier
I've been looking fo a while for a Digital Camera with manual Focus. And since most head-fi'ers have more hobby's than Audio only i guess some of you are also into photography.

The camera i'm looking for should'nt be really expensive, so no DSLR's for me
biggrin.gif
. I dont have the need for lots of MP's, 20mm F. lenses, 20x zoom or replaceble lenses, it just have to make decent picture's but i NEED a manual focus, i just hate automatic focus.

I hope a Head-Fi'er can help me out here.
eggosmile.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #2 of 30
What's considered not so expensive?

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 30
If you aren't going to get an SLR, there is no point in having manual focus for any other reason than certain scenarios where you might want to creatively override the AF.

Most low model Canons will have an MF function, but it's nothing like a true focus ring on a proper lens.

This is a blind assumption, but is it safe to assume you haven't used an AF camera for a long time? Auto focus has come an incredibly long way and I hate to say it, but if you aren't looking to step to a DSLR, you're going to have to live with auto focus. It's better than manual 99% of the time anyway.

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 30
My first digital camera was a Sony DSC-F717. I notice you can get them used now. I'd recommend one of those, as they have some nice manual features. It has a big Carl Zeiss lens that even has a ring that you can use for manual focus. It's also great at night time shots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-DSC-F717-Cy...QQcmdZViewItem

Mar 23, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has a big Carl Zeiss lens that even has a ring that you can use for manual focus. It's also great at night time shots.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-DSC-F717-Cy...QQcmdZViewItem

Yep. If you're set on having manual focus without going the full SLR route, this kind of thing will be your best option. Manual focus without a physical ring is so counterintuitive and slow that it's borderline useless...

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The camera i'm looking for should'nt be really expensive, so no DSLR's for me
biggrin.gif
. I dont have the need for lots of MP's, 20mm F. lenses, 20x zoom or replaceble lenses, it just have to make decent picture's but i NEED a manual focus, i just hate automatic focus.

You might not find such a camera to meet your requirement, but the Panny/Leica might do the job for you. Look into one of the older models of Panasonic/Leica digital (Used is lower cost
tongue.gif
).

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless its a DSLR with a bright viewfinder I dont see how you will be able to manual focus. That means that you are looking >$1000 at least (not to say Canon 5D ~ $2500).
frown.gif
I wish there was one too.

Well the biggest advantage of DSLRs are the interchangable lenses. These Sonys like the DSC-f717 can acomodate some lens attachments for magnifying or filter effects. Most their features and picture quality is as good if not better then the cheaper DSLRs. Of course the Canon 5D is another league (which I just ordered and am hoping it gets here soon!!!!). Full frame sensor is its huge advantage.

but this Sony range is the best I can think of that has nice manual features: DSC-F717, DSC-F828, DSC-R1. Of course the R1 is just at $1000 now
biggrin.gif

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 30
I picked up my Canon Rebel XT with kit lense for <$400, so if you're willing to pay that price...

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 30
blink.gif
Whoa guys !!! I aint looking for a semi-professional camera!!!
biggrin.gif

... i mean something like the FinePix S5600 ,
biggrin.gif
.... and dont start to tempt me with " keep saving for a Canon DSLR " .

I just HATE auto-focus, they alway focus on the wrong things, and i like to have some controll of it. So i can only blame myself, not the camera.

Plz remember that in the EU all electronics are more expensive, id like something around 250 € , yes i know that aint a lot, and i dont NEED a better camera, just something to picture my audio rig
etysmile.gif
... (not really but its the first thing that comes up).

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just HATE auto-focus, they alway focus on the wrong things, and i like to have some controll of it. So i can only blame myself, not the camera.

I think I'm starting to understand the problem. A lot of modern autofocus systems use a multi-point grid, to focus on one or many parts of the composition that the processor deems to be important.

These functions can be turned off, so you need worry only about the box in the centre. Canon uses a system like this. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, so I turn it off myself. I'd rather focus and recompose than let the camera decide what to focus on.

Honestly man, you need to get over the AF hatred. Not because it's necessarily unwarranted, but because if you ever want to use a point-and-shoot again, you're out of luck.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm starting to understand the problem. A lot of modern autofocus systems use a multi-point grid, to focus on one or many parts of the composition that the processor deems to be important.

Honestly man, you need to get over the AF hatred. Not because it's necessarily unwarranted, but because if you ever want to use a point-and-shoot again, you're out of luck.

And with SLR and proper (fast enough) lens, you will never need MF.
wink.gif
By the time you turn that ring back and forth, the AF has three times focused...

I have played my time with Fuji S602, which was at its prime time best non-DSLRs in the market. It has a focus ring etc..., but with EVF/LCD of anykind, you wont be able to focus properly manually, because you cant see if it is sharp or not with a electronic display. I have even owned the Minolta A2, which has the best EVF (almost 1mil pixels) I have seen, but that's really difficult to MF too, especially in the dark.

Therefore, I suggest you overcome your AF hatred, just like GlendaleViper. Pick a model with good and flexible AF, then learn to use it.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #15 of 30
.. i dont want to point and shoot, if i want to do that i would have asked for a simple small camera for that. An example where i WANT MF, think of a scene wich has lots of different focus area's, i want to focus myself as i dont wnat to wait for the camera to do that. And i am sure enough of myself that i can "master" a Manual-focus at a point that i focus automaticly, without playing with it for a while.

(btw that finepix has both AF and MF, IIRC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back