Searching for Inexpensive Cans
Apr 7, 2008 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Sabre X

New Head-Fier
Tuna Cans.

Heh, actually i'm trying to decide between a few different pairs of headphones, and you people seem to be experts, so I was hoping you could help me out.

I'm looking for a pair with a maximum pricetag of 100$ (since i'm a jobless student). They would be used mostly for my computer to watch movies/DVDs, and for the bus while i'm tripping down to Uni.

At first I thought abou open audiophiles because the sound is apparently much better, but because i'm going to be using them on a bus, I think closed would be more practical. I'm looking for big over the head cans, because those little in-the -ear things never stay put.

These are the choices I have right now, and maybe you people can tell me which one is the best, and where to buy it. I was thinking Amazon, or Ebay, but a lot of the cheaper buys don't ship to Toronto. I don't have much experience with headphones, my current ones are MDR-XD100s by Sony. So any help would be great, oh and if I need to have an amp with any of the choices (if it's a neccesity I mean) then indicatng that would be great too:

Sennheiser - HD280 Pro
Audio Technica - ATH A700
Beyerdynamic - DT770

For Open I was thinking the Sennheiser - HD555, but again I would prefer not to resort to open 'phones.

I know that there isn't one headphone brand that is "better", because it all depends on preference. But my preference is basically whatever enriches the home movie experience.

Thanks.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 12
I would probably go with the Sennheisers. I've never heard the Audio Technicas. The Beyers are good but will probably require an amp unless you get the 80 ohm version. Even then I don't know where you'd find a pair of DT770's for $100 or less. Most I've seen charge in the neighborhood of $200 or more.

Also don't give up on IEM's. Good high end IEM's do stay put and offer the best sound attenuation of any headphone on the market. For something under $100 I would recommend UE super.fi 3's, and Ety ER-6i.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Buy used. That's the number one way to get great headphones at around 100 bucks.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Amazon.com
Denon D1001
Very nice headphones right there! At a fantastic price.

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 12
I'll vouch for the 280s high quality to price ratio for movies, but I haven't listened to many Denons so I can't compare.

Just keep in mind that the 280s need a bass boost as they are designed to have as flat a frequency response as Sennheiser could manage, so stuff mixed for warm equipment (AKA almost everything) will sound a bit bass lean.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 12
I dont know how long you sit in the bus, but remember that the 280's put some pressure on your ears and it could get tiring after using some time, i would suggest going to a store and trying them on to feel the pressure.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabre X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Moogoob, since you're in Toronto, would you happen to know any places that sell the 280s for about 100$ or less?

No, sorry. Bay Bloor Radio sells it for $120/130 or so, and that's the only place I'm familiar with. It's worth that price, believe me, but if you can find it cheaper by all means do so!

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, I can get the Beyerdynamic DT770s for about 150$. But, that also means I need to get an amp with it right? That's going to cost me another 50$...

Is the 280s good enough for half the 770's cost? Or, should I definitely be trying for the Bryerdynamics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back