Searching for an MP3/MP4 64Go player better than Sony NWZ-A867
Apr 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

3rik

New Head-Fier
Hi,

My first player was a Sony NWZ-A829. Sounded great with a lot of bass/sub bass. But only 16Gio.
So I've baught a Sony NWZ-A867, 64Gio. All my music is on it, but it lacks bass/sub bass. I've baught Sennheiser IE80 but no way.

Could you advise me for a 64Gio MP3/MP4 player with huge bass/sub bass, as aesy to use as my Sony, tactile, and with a great battery life (my old NWZ-A829 could play more than 20 hours).

If possible, tell me if I can find it on amazon.fr (yep, I'm french :wink: )

I thank you very much for your replies,

Eric

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 28

I belive Sansa Clip+ 8 GB+32GB micro sd( am not sure but 64 GB may work is you format in FAT 32), with Rockbox, will be what i will choose.
Battery life 15 h, but that is a 23 gr mp3 player, plus with Rockbox you have soooooooo many music formats support.Hope that help.

Quote:
Hi,

My first player was a Sony NWZ-A829. Sounded great with a lot of bass/sub bass. But only 16Gio.
So I've baught a Sony NWZ-A867, 64Gio. All my music is on it, but it lacks bass/sub bass. I've baught Sennheiser IE80 but no way.

Could you advise me for a 64Gio MP3/MP4 player with huge bass/sub bass, as aesy to use as my Sony, tactile, and with a great battery life (my old NWZ-A829 could play more than 20 hours).

Eric

Apr 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 28
Thank you :)

But this one is ot tactile :frowning2:

What do you think of the old Cowon iAudio X7 120Gio ?

It's got BBE, Mach3Bass, and is tactile.

Thank you,

Eric

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 28

Quote:
Hi,

Eric

Wow. I wish you had written this post before I ended in the same situation myself...! :D

I too have an A829 and I got an A867 to get more space for my music (also the battery is failing on my A829). I was enormously dissappointed with the (ridiculously low) amount of bass that the A867 produces, even with clear bass +3. The old A829 is *way* better sounding. The Sony bass is no more than a legend anymore. I can't understand why hell they would produce players that sound this thin, when they have made such beautiful players like the A829! I need to hook up the A867 to a ZO2.3 or FiiO E6 to get enough bass. Unfortunately the ZO2.3 produces too much hiss with Shure SE530.

Myself, I just ordered a Cowon J3 to see, if it could even approximately match the A829 sound with enough bass. Maybe you should look at the J3, it's got buttons for fwd/rwd/play/volume. I'll write about my experiences probably come next weekend, when I've got the J3 and have had time to listen to it.

Possibly at some point I'll make some sort of side-by-side listening review of Sony A829 - A847 - A867 - Cowon J3 (+ ZO2.3 + FiiO E6).

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #5 of 28
Hey man,

I've ordered a Cowon J3, and I own it now. You'll be amazed by its sound (BBE is great).
Huge sub-bass/bass inside, sounding very great. It's sound quality is the best I've ever heard...

Battery life... 50 hours !

Hope you'll be happy (if you're not there will be something wrong with you :wink: )

Eric

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
Hey man,

I've ordered a Cowon J3, and I own it now. You'll be amazed by its sound (BBE is great).
Huge sub-bass/bass inside, sounding very great. It's sound quality is the best I've ever heard...

Battery life... 50 hours !

Hope you'll be happy (if you're not there will be something wrong with you :wink: )

Eric

Well, hot damn! It's good to know that the J3 sounds good to the ears of a fellow Sony-victim! :D Now I can't wait to get the J3! I kinda hope that I'd passed the A867 and gone straight for the J3, but I guess I can always sell the A867. The J3 should make up for the dissappointment that the A867 was.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 28
If I can advise you, please buy ears headphone with great bass (I have a Sennheiser IE80 with basses pushed to the maximum)
The only criticism I could make is that album covers and years of album can't be displayed in the J3 when you search by artist/album and so on... and the speed when putting MP3's in it is so slow.

But I pledge you'll love the j3 !

Eric

P.S. baught J3 32Go with 32Go sdcard, so I have the same as my crappy Sony. I'll never buy sony stuff anymore.

Apr 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #8 of 28
I'm baffled! I have the 8gb ver of it (A864) and to these ears, the amount of bass pouring out of my ie8/UE custom 11/Triple Fi is incredible! It's a LOT more than what I get out of my old 16gb A829!

Just wondering! I have the Z1070 and the bass is quite good. With PowerAMP, you get boatloads of bass. The soundstage of the Z1070 puts on par with the best sonic gadgets ever created, IMO.

Apr 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:

Wow. I wish you had written this post before I ended in the same situation myself...! :D

I too have an A829 and I got an A867 to get more space for my music (also the battery is failing on my A829). I was enormously dissappointed with the (ridiculously low) amount of bass that the A867 produces, even with clear bass +3. The old A829 is *way* better sounding. The Sony bass is no more than a legend anymore. I can't understand why hell they would produce players that sound this thin, when they have made such beautiful players like the A829! I need to hook up the A867 to a ZO2.3 or FiiO E6 to get enough bass. Unfortunately the ZO2.3 produces too much hiss with Shure SE530.

Myself, I just ordered a Cowon J3 to see, if it could even approximately match the A829 sound with enough bass. Maybe you should look at the J3, it's got buttons for fwd/rwd/play/volume. I'll write about my experiences probably come next weekend, when I've got the J3 and have had time to listen to it.

Possibly at some point I'll make some sort of side-by-side listening review of Sony A829 - A847 - A867 - Cowon J3 (+ ZO2.3 + FiiO E6).

I've heard the Sony A86x series described as dark, warm, musical, etc, but not lacking in bass. You statement gives me pause. What IEM's (or cans) are you using? Can you explain what you mean by lack of bass? I'm wondering if it weak overall, or maybe your preference is boomy for a certain genre and it lacks in that respect. My personal preference is a clear, tight, distinct bass, not overpowering, but always there. For certain genres, like jazz, bass should be an equal presence, not a dominant one, so I'm hoping to get a more detailed explanation from you on why you're unhappy. Maybe our tastes and/or expectations are just different. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:

I've heard the Sony A86x series described as dark, warm, musical, etc, but not lacking in bass. You statement gives me pause. What IEM's (or cans) are you using? Can you explain what you mean by lack of bass? I'm wondering if it weak overall, or maybe your preference is boomy for a certain genre and it lacks in that respect. My personal preference is a clear, tight, distinct bass, not overpowering, but always there. For certain genres, like jazz, bass should be an equal presence, not a dominant one, so I'm hoping to get a more detailed explanation from you on why you're unhappy. Maybe our tastes and/or expectations are just different. 

Well, as I listed above, I have several Sony's and the bass quantity on the A867 is severely lacking compared to the A829, as Eric in the first post also noted. I have Shure SE530, SE210, Atrio M5 v2 (which I rarely use, because they are too fatiquing and boomy), Ultrasone pro 900 and some other more rarely used headphones. I am able to get sufficient and tight but not boomy bass with A829 and SE530 and Pro 900 (not hard with the Pro 900, naturally), but with the A867 especially the SE530 is left thin on the bass end - so thin that I can't be bothered to make a statement if it's tight or not, because it's just not there. I do not like boomy or overpowering bass, but I do like it strong (and I like the ability to boost the bass on recordings which have the bass  mixed in very light). I listen to lot of different music styles and sure, I am a bit of a bass lover in the sense that I want the bass pretty distinct in my music, if not overpowering - in acid jazz (Red Snapper etc), rock (Dave Matthews Band etc), trip-hop and so on. When I have time to make a more detailed analysis, I'll present it.
Edit. Seeing that you use the Sennheiser HD-650 and I use the Pro 900, it's quite obvious that you are content with less bass quantity in your music than I am and probably the A867 would be right up your ally. But from my perspective the A867 is a huge dissappointment, as Sony has been always known for good bass quantity and quality in their players.

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 28
Yep,

Years ago Sony Walkman's used to have great sub-bass/bass. But now they just sell piles of crap.
Duno if I will manage to sell my NWZ-A867 crap...

Cowon J3 is still the best :)

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 28

Quote:

Well, as I listed above, I have several Sony's and the bass quantity on the A867 is severely lacking compared to the A829, as Eric in the first post also noted. I have Shure SE530, SE210, Atrio M5 v2 (which I rarely use, because they are too fatiquing and boomy), Ultrasone pro 900 and some other more rarely used headphones. I am able to get sufficient and tight but not boomy bass with A829 and SE530 and Pro 900 (not hard with the Pro 900, naturally), but with the A867 especially the SE530 is left thin on the bass end - so thin that I can't be bothered to make a statement if it's tight or not, because it's just not there. I do not like boomy or overpowering bass, but I do like it strong (and I like the ability to boost the bass on recordings which have the bass  mixed in very light). I listen to lot of different music styles and sure, I am a bit of a bass lover in the sense that I want the bass pretty distinct in my music, if not overpowering - in acid jazz (Red Snapper etc), rock (Dave Matthews Band etc), trip-hop and so on. When I have time to make a more detailed analysis, I'll present it.
Edit. Seeing that you use the Sennheiser HD-650 and I use the Pro 900, it's quite obvious that you are content with less bass quantity in your music than I am and probably the A867 would be right up your ally. But from my perspective the A867 is a huge dissappointment, as Sony has been always known for good bass quantity and quality in their players.

I love the HD-650's with my TTVJ Slim amp. But I was thinking of pairing the A867 with my Westone 4R's. But now I'm not so sure. Thanks for the reply.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 28
Just a note that the review that I said I would do will be postponed indefinitely, because the guy who promised to sell me the used Cowon J3 stood me up and I'm not too anxious to pay full price right at the moment.

May 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #14 of 28
  1. Note: this post is a comparison between the Cowon J3 and Sony A867
  2. Note: It was suggested in another thread that there might be a difference in the euro version and the US version of the A867, notably the bass on the US version might be stronger. I have the euro version of the A867
  1. Headphones used in the comparison: Shure SE530, Klipsch X10i, Yamaha EPH-100, Ultrasone Pro 900

Well, I got the Cowon J3 and it's apparent, that it can easily put out significantly more bass with Mach3bass and EQ than the A867 and is overall the better sounding player with most of my headphones/IEM's. The bass can be tuned to my liking without distorting the sound (at least with my IEM's). Also, I can actually use the EQ on the J3 to tune the sound to my liking as opposed to the Sony, which has a very unrefined EQ tuning. I can for example use the EQ to fine tune the rest of the frequency range to match the Sony A867's sound but make the bass stronger. Midrange and treble sound more clear and prominent on the A867 than the J3, partly because the the A867's sound is brighter overall than the J3's 

To me, sound quality and EQ/bass adjustment options are simply better with the J3. The user interface is somewhat better on the Sony A867, but the J3 isn't annoyingly bad. Overall the J3 sounds more full and powerfull. Like I said before, I'm not a basshead, but still the bass department of the A867 is disturbingly weak on almost all of my IEM's. For a person who doesn't care for bass and is more concentrated on midrange and treble it might of course be that the A867 is a very good choise. Also, with bass heavy headphones may fare quite well. 

If I was giving points to the two players, it might go something like this:

J3:
bass 9/10
mids 8/10
treble 9/10
user interface 7/10

A867:
bass 5/10 (mostly because it's too weak)
mids 7/10
treble 9/10
user interface 8.5/10

With Klipsch X10i the Sony A867 almost puts out enough bass quantity on most albums, but not quite - the bass is left thin especially on albums with poorly recorder bass. On albums with very strong bass, the A867 does just fine, but when commuting or cycling, the bass would be too weak even on many bass heavy tracks. Anyway, the Klipsch X10's are certainly a better match for the A867 than the Shure SE530. 

Using the SE530, bass quantity is significantly lower on the A867 than with Cowon J3 and the Clearbass +3 isn't enough on many albums. On the other hand, on the Cowon J3 the bass can be pushed with Mach3Bass and EQ without distortion to required levels. In comparison the Sony A867 is left sounding like a tin can and isn't just enjoyable to listen to. Even without direct comparison to the J3, the severe lack of bass would be apparent. It's not a matter of having or not having excessive bass - you can't even separete the low bass notes properly on tha A867, but on the J3 you can make out the bass lines, synths and so on properly. And with the SE530's it's not just the bass - the sound overall appears worse on the A867, even treble. Switching between the A867 and J3 it's very apparent that the J3 and SE530 are a much better listening experience.

Initial A-B-C comparison shows that with the SE530, I prefer the J3 over the A829 (and I can push the bass on the J3 easily even stronger than the A829 undistorted), but I definitely prefer both over the A867.

With the Ultrasone Pro 900, the amount of bass from the A867 doesn't become much of an issue on most albums and the sound is usually pretty great in every respect with both A867 and Cowon J3. Actually with tracks without a strong bassline the midrange may sound at times a tad better through the Sony A867. Of course, I never listen to the Pro 900's on the move, so that's one reason the amount of bass doesn't become an issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back