Searching for a USB DAC
Aug 5, 2007 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kataklystik

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone recommend a DAC that can be connected to a PC by USB?
I found the Alien USB DAC here but I don't know if there is something better in that price range (the Alien would be 110USD including shipping).
Am I right if I think that normally USB DAC's should work under linux as well?
I plan to use them with the other stuff I'm going to get soon, the DarkVoice 336i amp and AKG K 701 'phones.
Any advice?

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 9
The best under $200 is undoubtedly the EMU 0404 USB, I want one.
biggrin.gif

The Silverstone EB01 is slightly cheaper than the Alien, and I'm satisfied using it. The EB01 is plug-n-play for me, but I run Windows XP. I think the chips have their own drivers.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 9
While I'm also looking at various linux options, I've encountered this page, which mentions that headroom products are supported:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Al...red_Soundcards
In my case I think an optical DAC would be better if I could only find a cheap one, so I'll be able to simultaneously connect logitech pc speakers to analog onboard output, and optical onboard output (nforce2)->some DAC, as far as I know optical connection is OS independant.

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #5 of 9
how about a corda move, only 235 + shipping on Todds site and very well performing

Aug 6, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how about a corda move, only 235 + shipping on Todds site and very well performing

some people are saying the new iBasso DAC/Amp combo will out do the Move for a similar price. You could wait until that comes out and the inevitable comparison happens.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 9
well my move came in today and it is amazing, i love it i cant wait for it to burn in etc.

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 9
i know it will definitly work with Linux, Lowfront a user on head-fi uses his on a linux, but i am not posotive on the cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back