Searching for a Transportable Amp
Nov 11, 2005 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Head Creep

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm currently looking to buy an amp for bedside and rather inactive on-the-go usage. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be using these primarily to drive the DT770's I plan on buying soon, but I'd also like to use them with my E2c's and (less importantly) everything else I own. Battery life and size don't matter, as long as it's reasonable (read: no tube amps paired up with a car battery). Budget is, at the very most, $250; that's the very limit of how much I'm willing to spend, so don't try to sell me on a new SuperMacro. Plus, that's already 250% of the retail price of the most expensive phones I own atm, so I already feel more than a bit insane.

I've been eyeing the maxed-out Portaphile V2^2 and Xin SuperMini, and perhaps one of those Cute amps, but I'm open to any suggestions, new or used (if used, I'm buying sometime next week, so keep that in mind if you're suggesting specific items for sale at the moment). I'd prefer to negate as many future amp purchases as possible, so I'm aiming for the best that I can buy within this budget that'll fit my needs. Thanks for the help.

Nov 11, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 27
Check out the VAL E10 - not sure how it is powered.

I am also looking into a new battery operated preamp and headphone amp combo but it may be ouside your money limit. Will get back when I find out more.

VAL-E10.jpg

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
micro stack and be done with it
smily_headphones1.gif

I second this, you can find the amp used VERY close to your budget.

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by drarthurwells
Check out the VAL E10 - not sure how it is powered.

I'd be nervous to use a tube amp outside of my house, especially with the way I treat my stuff (this should say everything: my SR-60's are held together by electrical tape). I think I'll stay with a solid-state amp this time around.

Quote:

micro stack and be done with it

I'm so weak... I'm already looking at how I can pull together $300 plus shipping for a new Micro, in case there aren't any for sale used. If the stars align I'm aiming for a Micro. But seeing how I'd be relying purely on luck, I'd like to look into something that, when new, is within $250. Any suggestions there?

Nov 11, 2005 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Creep
I'd be nervous to use a tube amp outside of my house, especially with the way I treat my stuff (this should say everything: my SR-60's are held together by electrical tape). I think I'll stay with a solid-state amp this time around.

I'm so weak... I'm already looking at how I can pull together $300 plus shipping for a new Micro, in case there aren't any for sale used. If the stars align I'm aiming for a Micro. But seeing how I'd be relying purely on luck, I'd like to look into something that, when new, is within $250. Any suggestions there?

1. There is a free shipping option from Headroom if you can wait a week
2. Look into the Xin amps for <$250 HERE

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 27
Sorry, I have never heard the Portaphile. I once owned a SuperMini, and it was impressive.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Make a contribution to head fi, and be eligible for 10% off headroom products for the next year.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you were a contributor, the micro amp is actually $270 new shipped.
Thats how much I got mine for, make sure you get it with the desktop module. IMO totally worth it, since it stacks up pretty high in the top portable amps ever made. Others costing almost two times as much. Get a micro dac in the future, since they go so well together, and you have one kickin system worthy of home and portable use.

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 27
Sheesh, pimpin' that motha like nothin'...
tongue.gif

There are other options than the Micro, and it's even conceivable that someone may not like its sound.
eek.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Make a contribution to head fi, and be eligible for 10% off headroom products for the next year.
smily_headphones1.gif

If you were a contributor, the micro amp is actually $270 new shipped.

Are you on the Headroom payroll?
tongue.gif

Let me ask this question and see what response I get: is the Micro amp worth the extra $60-100 I'd be spending on a Portaphile or SuperMini? I'm willing to spend the $300 for an amp if it's really as great as RnB is making it seem to be.

Nov 12, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Let me ask this question and see what response I get: is the Micro amp worth the extra $60-100 I'd be spending on a Portaphile or SuperMini? I'm willing to spend the $300 for an amp if it's really as great as RnB is making it seem to be.

You have to realize that RnB180 is using the Micro Amp with the matching Micro DAC and that makes a very synergistic combo in addition to being a fine source. If you pair the amp with an inferior source, I don't think you will have as great as results that he is experiencing.

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Are you on the Headroom payroll?
tongue.gif

The micro amp is good by itself, better then the super mini. Havent gotten much listening to the portaphile as the way the portaphile has its jack placements they dont fit my cables and the RA connectors kept switching off that power toggle switch off everytime I moved it.. I was never much of a fan of hammond enclosures and long toggle switches.

What makes the micro amp stand out is the crossfeed. Crossfeed isnt for everyone. And yes, please take into consideration component synergy and connections. The sound I am hearing is from this set up. I do not believe the other amps mentioned in this thread has a crossfeed function, but the headroom crossfeed really does a number on the music. Really blows my mind on some very very well mixed tracks. I get a very nice sound stage with positioning that no other portable amp has replicated. After this, no-crossfeed, sounds flat and boring in comparison.

The micro stack and proper synergy is good enough to use as a home amp also. Which is a plus IMO

Xin offers an amp with crossfeed and bass boost, but its about $100 more, so that might be really out of your budget.

sennportrig.jpg

and these cans while I am at home doing critical listening.

woodies2.jpg

using uncompressed wav, optical out, micro dac and micro amp, modified senns and some serious recabling.

Though by itself, the micro amp is still a very nice amplifier, especially with sennheisers. Crossfeed is what makes that little brick a winner.

Nov 12, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

The micro amp is good by itself, better then the super mini.

I think HeadCreep refers to the Xin SuperMini, not the Shellbrook Super Mini Moy, which I know you have experience with. Have you heard the Xin SuperMini as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back