Searching for a Portable Groovalizer
Apr 26, 2004 at 5:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TeRrAPh0eNiX

100+ Head-Fier
I've been pretty happy, in fact, extremely happy with my ER-6s so far i've had them, but i've noticed i can't really groove to them. I love the isolation and comfort is very nice.

I've been listening to my computer speakers and my labtecs, and not being totally repulsed by them, listened to them for an entire weekend. I grew to liking the bass/midrange out of my computer's sound card, and putting the ER-6s back in for monday during school i remember thinking to myself, "I want my bass back. "
etysmile.gif

I don't really miss it all that much, but i'm searching for a true portable, full-size, isolated groovalizer. That would make my day, week, even years.
biggrin.gif
Full-size or canalphone/earbud, it doesn't matter. In fact, i'd like to go full-size because i don't really care about how i look. I have good music in my head.
600smile.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 16
what's that e5c's?

you want me to tell phoenix you have an identical twin that needs a new home?

ok.

go get some e5's and let the grooving begin.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster22
what's that e5c's?

you want me to tell phoenix you have an identical twin that needs a new home?

ok.

go get some e5's and let the grooving begin.

Oy. I cringed when i saw this.
biggrin.gif
It's going to be inevitable that i get the E5's, but for now there is a price limit. I'd say $120... i may sell the ER-6s. And thank you Redvision for your thread; i never saw that, sorry. :p

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 16
does the $120 include the money you will get after you sell the er-6's?

if so, i'd say save another 150 dollars and find a good deal on the e5's.

Apr 26, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 16
Looks like the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 would be ideal for you. They're full-size cans, but still on the small size as far as full-size cans go. They're durable and can be abused. They have the most balanced sound of any full-sized closed headphone and enough bass to make them quite groovy. Definitely recommended. None of the other full-size cans really meets your requirements.

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Looks like the Beyerdynamic DT250-250 would be ideal for you. They're full-size cans, but still on the small size as far as full-size cans go. They're durable and can be abused. They have the most balanced sound of any full-sized closed headphone and enough bass to make them quite groovy. Definitely recommended. None of the other full-size cans really meets your requirements.

That's good to know. These will be driven out of my Karma, my main and only source. I don't plan on upgrading at all, heh.

Apr 26, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 16
Isn't the 250ohm impedance going to hinder the "portable" aspect a bit? Plus I think they're over the price limit.

That price limit is going to hurt you here... the only option I see under $120 is... well... the HD25-1 @ $120 on the mark. Next up is the DT250_250s, at $143, and finally the HFI-700 at $190.

Apr 26, 2004 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 16
Terra - I know you read my Shure E2c and Ety ER6 review.

Have you tried the Shure E2c ??

I dont know what a groovalizer is but if this involves bass and thumping good bass then the Shure E2c could do the job for less than $100.00

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
the only option I see under $120 is... well... the HD25-1 @ $120 on the mark. Next up is the DT250_250s, at $143, and finally the HFI-700 at $190.

The HD-25s are not $120 anywhere. I think you commented in a previous thread about finding them on Froogle. Well, those search results yield a few questionable online retailers (one link was broken), and if you look closely they are selling them at the retail price of $119.99 (which is the retail price of the HD-25sp. Also, the some of the specifications listed were that of the HD-25sp. You can't always trust the picture and the model name (some retailers just leave off the "sp") this model. I would recommend getting an email price quote from etronics.com (which is lower than the minimum advertised price).

Apr 26, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika
The HD-25s are not $120 anywhere. I think you commented in a previous thread about finding them on Froogle. Well, those search results yield a few questionable online retailers (one link was broken), and if you look closely they are selling them at the retail price of $119.99 (which is the retail price of the HD-25sp. Also, the some of the specifications listed were that of the HD-25sp. You can't always trust the picture and the model number with this model. I would recommend getting an email price quote from etronics.com (which is lower than the minimum advertised price).

Well... that sucks. Why didn't you pipe up before? Hell, I even questioned the price myself, but someone confirmed my observation in the other thread, so I chose to believe it (because it's much more appealing). I sincerely apologise if I mislead anyone.

OK... so I'm running out of ideas here. The DT250_250s are too hard to drive, and everything else I can think of that grooves is too expensive (including the beyers). Perhaps the shure e2s might be a good choice here.

Apr 26, 2004 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
OK... so I'm running out of ideas here. The DT250_250s are too hard to drive, and everything else I can think of that grooves is too expensive (including the beyers). Perhaps the shure e2s might be a good choice here.

The DT250-250 isn't really very hard to drive. Sensitivity (dB/milliwatt) is a better measure of how hard a can is to drive than impedance. However, if you are concerned, the DT250-80 is another possibility. It's slightly cheaper than the DT250-250 as well.

Apr 26, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
the DT250-80 is another possibility. It's slightly cheaper than the DT250-250 as well.

I thought the DT250_80 lost bass (requirement for groovalizer) and rolled off the highs compared to the 250ohm version...

Good point on the sensitivity, I still tend to think in terms of 'more ohms = harder to drive'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back