Searching for a new mp3 player
Apr 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Tomcat_ha

New Head-Fier
Hi, i used to have a 80 gb ipod 5.5 gen but i dropped it a few days ago and incase i i cant get it covered by service i need/want a new one. However i want it to have substantial more memory then my 80gb one. So you might say ipod classic 160 gb? Then i say, i dont want bloatware like itunes and would rather buy a new 5.5 gen ipod video so i can put rockbox on it again. It having the abillity to work with last.fm would also be quite nice.

Musical preferences: metal.
I buy albums and rip them into wavpack format.
Current music directory already brought my old ipod close to its limits.
Video and all that stuff: Not neccesairy, just a mp3 player for me.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 17
get a hard drive based player..and they're much more expensive..i would recommend 8gb d2 + wait for the 32gb sdhc card to become cheaper. which gives u 40GB flash based memory which is faster to load and consumes less power than the hdd based one.

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 17
how about D2? I have one and I really like it.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 17
Archos 605 160GB is pretty much the only other choce. And it's not audiophile at al.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomcat_ha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh... 40 gb is not even close to having enough memory.

My ipod 5.5gen 80 gig had enough battery easily in conjunction with rockbox.

I really don't get what people need that much memory for. Sure, if you want to have every song you've ever heard on it, but what's the point of that? You don't listen to all those songs frequently anyway. The only other reason for having that much memory in a DAP would be if you want to have a lot of video on it, but to me a DAP is primarily a music player, so it's not really important.
I get by very nicely with my 8GB NWZ-A818. I can easily fit all my favorite music, plus some more to add a little more variety. If I want something new on it I'll just delete something that I rarely listen to. I'll admit that 16GB would be nice though - that would pretty much eliminate my need for swapping any music - but 8GB is plenty unless you want all your music in lossless formats (which is not that meaningful if you - like me - use your DAP mainly when commuting where it's never silent around you), or use the player to watch a lot of video.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Get a 160gb classic. You don't have to use itunes either. There are many other programs that can be used to sync with it.

Keep an eye out on the apple store for refurbs, mainly the 5.5g 80 or classics.

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, and what's wrong with itunes? It's the only reason i'm even stickying with Apple.

So the only reason that you're sticking with Apple is because they force you to use their program to be able to transfer music to your DAP? That's a weird reason. Now, I know there are several other programs that can do this for you instead of iTunes, but any player that forces me to use a program (and doesn't let me drag-n-drop) won't be seeing me buying it.

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 17
Itunes is horrible bloatware. I enjoyed rockbox ALLOT more then itunes.

I put my entire music collection on my ipod and this includes my album rips and they are done at lossless. Currently my music collection is 73 gb large and try pick songs out if you have that many if you have a say 40 gb one.

Apr 10, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the only reason that you're sticking with Apple is because they force you to use their program to be able to transfer music to your DAP? That's a weird reason. Now, I know there are several other programs that can do this for you instead of iTunes, but any player that forces me to use a program (and doesn't let me drag-n-drop) won't be seeing me buying it.

no, you have it backwards. If something other than ipod like Zune can use itunes, then i would be all for that. They don't force me to use the software, the software, which i love, is forcing me to use ipod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back