Searching for a good second / third pair around $ 100 after a disappointment.
May 27, 2023 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

T0ninus

New Head-Fier
One month ago, I bought my first pair of IEM, because I was tired of listening my music trough the not so bad but still average headphones I've got with my Nokia 8.
My only "good quality" audio experience was from my Philips Fidelio X2 I bought a while ago and still use at home on my PC mostly for games and movies.

I went for the classic Salnotes Zero and wasn't disappointed : more ear confort and way better audio clarity. I'm clearly not an audio expert at all, I even have some ear problem with the very high frequencies, but I think these are good all-rounders. The only little drawback to me is that they lack a bit of bass.

So I decided to buy a second pair a bit more pricy : the Legato, as the reviews were good overall and mentionned these IEM for bass heads. I added the 7Hz 71 DAC to go with as I wanted a simple DAC with no particular functionalities (I bought the Zero with USB C cable so I didn't need an adaptator for them).
I recieved them a day ago... and sadly I'm disappointed. I totally get the "muddy" bass mentionned in some reviews, and sadly they don't really fit the music styles I'm listening to. To be clear they are far from horrible sounding, but it's exactly that old school speakers feeling.

I don't know if I will send them back or keep them because of their specific sound and large case. But I think I should get a different pair that suits more my musical tastes : from dubstep to breakcore but also EDM, pop, and some rock. Here is a list of some tracks I tried on the Legato (my sources are .FLAC files + VLC on my smartphone) :

So I think I need some snappier bass. I know it's a bit off-topic but any idea which models would fit in the 100 € price range ? I see good reviews on the Kiwi Ears Quartet (I don't really like their look but it's secondary), KZ x HBB PR2 (I'm noob and don't really knows what the fact they're planar changes), and Truthear Hexa.

The other option I see is to save a bit more and go to the price range above with the Timeless Awhich seems very good as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back