Searching for a good DAP?
Oct 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Allucid

Caution: Incomplete trades.
Hey Head-fi. I'm looking for a DAP. I have FLAC files, and use an iPhone 5 (have an app for iPhone that can run FLAC) but I'm looking for something better than the plain 'ol iphone as a source, it also annoys me that I'd have to shell out $600+ to get a native LOD amplifier like the VAMP VERZA.
Instead of buying the Verza, I'm looking into buying a DAP. My budgets around $300-400, more or less.

Could anyone recommend a good DAP? It'd be appreciated.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 9
Check out the iBasso DX50 or if you can push it, the fiio X5. However, there is a very good smartphone compatible DAC and amp alternative, the iDSD nano. Its amp section is decent, but the DAC section is amazing, especially at the price. Its better than the DAC built into the iBasso DX50.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 9
you can always get an external amp to use with the line out of the iDSD nano, such as the FiiO E12, and it will still be within your budget and will sound amazing.

Oct 5, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 9
Hey Head-fi. I'm looking for a DAP. I have FLAC files, and use an iPhone 5 (have an app for iPhone that can run FLAC) but I'm looking for something better than the plain 'ol iphone as a source, it also annoys me that I'd have to shell out $600+ to get a native LOD amplifier like the VAMP VERZA.
Instead of buying the Verza, I'm looking into buying a DAP. My budgets around $300-400, more or less.

I was able to test a pre-production FiiO X1 ($99), works with FLAC files and it does sound nice.
FiiO X3 comes with more options ($169).

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 9
From what i have been hearing, the iBasso DX50 is better than the FiiO X3.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 9
you can always get an external amp to use with the line out of the iDSD nano, such as the FiiO E12, and it will still be within your budget and will sound amazing.

I'm looking for something for high-end iems (audiofly AF180) as well as my normal cans, wouldn't want an amp chain, less chains, less distortion.

Check out the iBasso DX50 or if you can push it, the fiio X5. However, there is a very good smartphone compatible DAC and amp alternative, the iDSD nano. Its amp section is decent, but the DAC section is amazing, especially at the price. Its better than the DAC built into the iBasso DX50.

I was looking at the DX50 :) do you know the difference between the 50 and the 90?

I was able to test a pre-production FiiO X1 ($99), works with FLAC files and it does sound nice.
FiiO X3 comes with more options ($169).

Hm, food for thought. Mainly looking got something with a nice DAC chip, so I can use it as a USB dac also.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #7 of 9
Ibasso dx90 by far.Big airy soundstage,impressive detail and instrument separation,neutral but dynamic character,well controlled and deep bass.You can also swap batteries for better battery life.Amazing combo with sennheiser ie800.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Ibasso dx90 by far.Big airy soundstage,impressive detail and instrument separation,neutral but dynamic character,well controlled and deep bass.You can also swap batteries for better battery life.Amazing combo with sennheiser ie800.

Thanks a lot man. I'll need extra soundstage on IEMs. Looks like I'm moving out on using my iPhone as a source.

Oct 5, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks a lot man. I'll need extra soundstage on IEMs. Looks like I'm moving out on using my iPhone as a source.

No problem friend
smile.gif
.Also search some reviews in the web for comparison like this one
http://headfonics.com/2014/07/the-dx90-by-ibasso/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back