Searching for a decent, budget (<$150 USD), over-ear, wireless headphone. Primarily for gaming but general daily drivers. Is this a lost cause?
Dec 11, 2020 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BattlePope

New Head-Fier
Budget - <$150 USD
Source/Amp - Computer. No Amp/DAC.
How the gear will be used - These will live at home. Will be used primarily for gaming so I would prefer a decent soundstage.
Preferred tonal balance - Not a huge audiophile and these would primarily be used for gaming. With that said, love some bass but I don't have a huge preference. A neutral profile would be just fine.
Preferred music genre(s) - Classic rock, electronic music, hip hop.
Past gear experience - Previous daily drivers were Jaycar Studio Monitors (Brainwavz HM5 clones). Loved them. Also have Tascam TH-02s, Galaxy Buds, and KZ ZS3s.

Looking for a new pair of daily drivers. Would prefer over ear headphones. Open or closed back doesn't matter to me. Couldn't care less about ANC. These will be living at home at my desk.

I think wireless would be great. I don't play a ton of super competitive games anymore (mostly Apex Legends, Warzone, Grim Dawn, PUBG, Overwatch) so I don't need to maximize performance as much as possible. At least not to the level that I would if I was playing CS:GO or something. With that said, I would like to minimize audio lag/latency as much as possible...at least to the point that I'm not at a huge disadvantage.

I'm not a huge audiophile. To be honest, I have trouble discerning differences between my HM5s, Tascam TH-02s, Galaxy Buds, and KZ ZS3s. I would like them to sound good but don't need them to rock my world. Good/above average sound quality would be just fine. Since I'll be using these for gaming, I'd prefer a decent soundstage but it doesn't have to be the most amazing positioning in the world. Don't care so much about the profile; I did like the neutral profile of my HM5s.

Don't necessarily need a mic build-in to the headphones. Have heard most of the mics in this price range are booty. If the headphones have a good built-in mic even better. But assuming I'll probably have to pick up a desktop mic. Any recommendations for a budget desktop mic? Don't need streamer quality.

Figure I have a few options. Get: (1) a true bluetooth headphone, (2) a wired headphone and convert it to bluetooth, or (3) some good tips for my Galaxy Buds and just use, though. I'd prefer options one or two.

For true BT headphones, I've been looking at the ATH-SR50BT or the ATH-SR6BTBK. Thoughts? Open to other recommendations as well!

Second, how hard is it to convert wired headphones to wireless? Have seen lots of people using adapters over on r/headphones. If soldering is involved I'll probably have to back out...not my wheelhouse. If I can do this easily though, that opens up a ton of options.

Finally, I could give my Buds a go. I know they sound pretty good and...well, I've already got them. I don't mind IEMs but tend to prefer over ear headphones for comfort. Maybe I just need to buy some quality tips for longer gaming sessions, though. I've heard good things about Comply and Spiral Dots. Open to other recommendations as well.

Anyways, would love to hear everyone's input.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Maybe a Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless or a used Audeze Mobius or Penrose?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back