Searching 'drummer-only' music !
Feb 20, 2012 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AbeSapien

Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I was watching a very interesting and sick video on YouTube about a drummer called Tony Royster Jr. . I saw him once live here and it was awesome !! 

Here's the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPPISJPl50s

Of course I have to talk about the other drummer too. He is indeed as amazing as Tony.

Now back to topic...
Do you have any albums of 'drummer-only' music ? I only want to the percussion and the drums.
Does something like that even exist ? ^^'

Thank you for your help.

Abe

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 12
Killer link. I just spent about an hour on those and the related videos.
I'm interested to hear other people's suggestions as well.
I don't know of any drums ONLY music (but its not because I wouldn't listen to it haha) however I do know a lot of music that is kinda drums-only, or at least very percussion-focused. 
A lot of electronic music is essentially drums only, but with an ambient backdrop added. A good example would be "Freeman Hardy and Willis acid" which is Squarepusher and AFX working together. Off the top of my head I think the first 5 minutes are literally just drums, but the last 45 seconds are drums highlighted by an acid bassline. Unless you hate electronic music with a passion, I'd definitely recommend it.
Also electronic, but much more 'realistic' would be the entire album "Permutation" by Amon Tobin. He plays this at Jazz festivals. Its not strictly drums-only by any means, but at its worst its still "somebody absolutely going to town on a drumset while a minimalist jazz band provides background."
And finally, Black Sabbath's "Rat Salad" and Led Zeppelin's "Moby Dick." They both start out with the whole band playing for 30 seconds- a minute, but the drummer plays alone 90% of the song.
So yeah, nothing 100% drums there, but imo they are worth checking out if you like percussion-heavy music.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to watching that royster jr video 10 times in a row.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3 of 12
In Brazil there is a music style called Batacuda.

There are number of compilations out there. This one from Mr.Bongo records is
pretty good. 
http://www.mrbongo.com/product/batucada-the-sound-of-the-favelas-cd-1092

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Billy Cobham?
Kodo (Traditional 'Japanese' percussion with other instruments and sometimes vocals.)

Dig for South-American and African percussion music from the sixties and seventies and you will find more beat patterns than you can imagine. (Curtis Mayfield included a special percussion section in his backing band for a reason.)

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey :)

Thank you for your replies :)

Yeah it's indeed not only a killer link but a drum killer :wink: There are two other which i recommend: Tony Royster Jr. killing DW Drum
and the one where he is only 12 years old or so :) can't remember ^^

Indeed the Freeman Hardy and Willis acid isn't my cup of tea :/ I do like electronica but not too much.
Amon Tobin is more the sound I'm looking for :D Thank you very much, Sir. Need this album :)

Woah Billy Cobham sounds chill ^^ pure Jazz Fusion. Very interesting, have to grab me one of those :)

Holy moly the Kodo Drumming is huuuuuuge sound ^^ Do you know if there are any cps out there ?

Thank you again :)

Abe

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 12
I love the Kodo-music. Their recordings are very good and you can almost feel the the moving air which produces some unbelievable percussion sound. Some of their compositions are my favourite reference tracks...

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that Aphex Twin's music is...different... hahaha 
He does do some really cool things with percussion though, and an utter lack of sanity is usually a pro in my book.

Deep Funk-
Anything you would specifically recommend for kodo? Every time I come here I get way too much new music. And the worst part is, it's headfi, so most of it is actually good. Can never keep up.

Not exactly on-topic, but my friend sent me this video out of nowhere today. While it may not be "necessary" to do all that crazy ****, it definitely looks really, really fun.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 12
At least get their "Best Of compilation" and the first album "Irodori".

The video is an oldie, stays fun though.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #11 of 12
to many ,the best drummer around here,independently of any genre,is Dennis Chambers,i discover his works some years ago while playing in a concert with Mike Stern,during his solo i was just hipnotized!!then i had the opportunity to see him for real at a concert with Carlos Santana.superb
the intro of the first track of extraction (-2003- with Greg Howe and Victor Wooten) is marvellous too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back