Searched without luck. Need assistance with streaming from PC to Receiver
Aug 25, 2015 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

roadrat

100+ Head-Fier
I currently use an old Apple Airport Express to stream from my PC via iTunes to the Airport which is connected to my Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver.

Most of my music is in FLAC format so I have to keep two versions of my music (FLAC and Apple ALAC).

I'd like to ditch the Airport (its old and crusty) and iTunes (duh) and also delete all the duplicate files in ALAC format.

Is it possible to stream from Google Play Music (lower quality I know), Foobar/JRiver/PonoMW (ideal solution), or another app to my Receiver directly or using Chromecast or some other device?

Thanks for your help!

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 4

I currently use an old Apple Airport Express to stream from my PC via iTunes to the Airport which is connected to my Onkyo TX-NR807 receiver.

Is it possible to stream from Google Play Music (lower quality I know), Foobar/JRiver/PonoMW (ideal solution), or another app to my Receiver directly or using Chromecast or some other device?

Isn't that one of the newer Network receivers? I think you can hook it up via LAN, and then you install the Onkyo remote app on a smartphone or tablet. Then you basically use the smartphone/tablet as an interface to control the receiver playing the music. At least that's how I understand the product blurbs, ie, the Airport is basically obsolete since it can't run FLAC either. Onkyo's app also works as a player for the smartphone I think, and I think it also plays FLAC. 

A lot of other receivers now like the 2ch C375BEE have direct USB-A inputs for storage drives instead of USB-B computers as host devices (ie the receiver is basically the host device), and then you use a similar app as the interface.

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 4
^^

What he said. Download and check your manual :)

Then, so you can use wireless, you should be OK to get a wireless bridge device that you could hook your network connection up to from the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back