Search optimization
Oct 20, 2011 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SoulSyde

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Jude,

I want to start by saying that I hope all is well and I really enjoy the time and effort you put into the Head-Fi video series.  Well done!

This is not a gripe or a complaint, but rather a question regarding the "search" feature on Head-Fi.  I find it effectively useless, but I'm OK with that because most of my time is spent browsing instead of searching.

That being said, I never use the search feature on Head-Fi because frankly Google works much better.  Example: try the phrase "IEM review" in the search box.  It brings up 1,700 pages, none of which are truly the most relevant hits.  On Google try the following "Head-Fi IEM review" and the first hit you get the gold-mine that is |joker|'s thread.  I know that Head-Fi may not have the same capital as Google, but have you thought about trying to improve the search optimization?  Is it possible to utilize Google within the site since it yields more relevant results?

Best,
Phil

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Bump.

Not to mention, when you do search a specific thread it's impossible to sort through relevance, date, and other finer topics.  Instead to do that you have to search the entire forum, not the actual thread.  With a wealth of information, it's hard to direct newcomers to specific information when the search function is so poorly optimized.  

Been viewing head fi for a long time and I have to say the layout and function of the forum is one of the worst I've used on the web.  It maybe fine for everyday browsing and posting.  However much of the functions on the website isn't well optimized.  It gives me a lot of frustration at times.

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Search down here too.

On the subject, why doesn't the search form remember my settings when I search for something, and then immediately use the back button to modify my search?  It's REALLY irritating to have to fill in the form again and again and again.

Similar complaints apply elsewhere.  When I'm browsing the classifieds, and I look at an ad and then go back to the listings, why does it have to reload the first page and THEN bring me to the page I was on, and then it brings me to the TOP of the page, not to the point in the page I was browsing?  It would help if there was a search function that let me filter the ads a bit better too, rather than seeing a strict listing of search results.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 8
Jan 1, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 8
see those "order result by" and 2 radio choice? pick the relevance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back