Search: Normal amp with good (dedicated?) headphoneamp built in
Jan 7, 2016 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ejswa51

Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my gear a bit. I currently own a regular HarmanKardon (HK3480) amp with two ELAC 121 AS III standing speakers and a regular Sony CDplayer. But moreover I have a AudioTechnica ATH-W1000X headphone, which even more clearly showed the downsides of my amp than my speakers already did. In search of some new stuff I'm looking for a new amplifier. I'm looking for an amp with a good headphone output, so a built-in headphone amp, or some other trick to make the headphone output be comparable with an average headphone amp. Which are well known for having a (very)good headphone out?
I've read that the Astin Trew AT2000(+) has a seperate cirquit and amp for headphones. Are there more (preferably cheaper) amps which have something like this?
Or I found for instance a Creek Evo 2, which seems to have a decent headphone output ('comparable with an €150 headphoneamp'). It's not that I'm buying a certain amp just because it has a decent headphone out, but it might help making choices in the wide variety of available amps. Budget is <€750 (2nd hand is an option)
Any comments, tips?

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 2
Check if your current integrated amplifier has a Rec/Tape loop output, just hook up a decent but affordable headphone amp (make sure its output impedance is much lower than the headphone's nominal impedance) to that. No need to switch to a different integrated amplifier especially if you're happy enough with how your current amp is driving your speakers, and no need to power it on either as long as the input selector is manually selected, so long as the preamp selectors can work when the amp is switched off (most do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back