search comparing Denon AH-D7000 vs. JVC DX1000 vs. ATH-W5000
Jan 14, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the US or abroad? In the US J&R has the D7000 for $600, free shipping, and about 40 bucks cashback. Most people seem to really enjoy them. True build quality seems about equal to the 5000, none the less people do hear an improvement which signifies either a new or upgraded driver, likewise the headband seems to of been improved a bit to make it more comfy. Is it worth the premium? Like anything thats up to you to decide.

I would certainly suggest not buying the W5000 blind though unless you're prepared to either immediatly sell it or purhase a new amp. Its a picky headphone and may very well sound lackluster with your current setup.

I visited J&R immediately after reading this. They do not carry Denon headphones at all. I have yet to find the D7000s for less than $1000 anywhere, including ebay. The W5000s, however, are available for $700 (which is $1000 below retail!)

My amp is the Little Dot I+. It is a hybrid specifically designed for low impedence 'phones. To me, this suggests that it would work very well with either the Denons or the Audio Technicas (the W5000s are 40 Ohm.)

Jan 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #17 of 29
The W5000s are now off of my list. I read several reviews that all said they were great "except for the bass", and even one that specifically said the bass was weak compared to my DT770 Pro/80s. Bas is too important to me to give it up (that is one of the reasons I am selling my K701s.)

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. Not only does that look like a pretty decisive "no" to the question of being worth twice the price of the D5000s, it even looks like it might not be much of a step up from the vastly more affordable D2000s!
I am looking for the last closed headphones that I will ever buy (so good that no upgrade is possible.) Perhaps I am already there (with my DT770s)? Perhaps the D7000 is not a candidate, but the W5000 is? My goal is to put an end to upgraditis once and for all!

You should check out the new Headphile V4 Terminators.
Most excellent SQ in ALL of the sound spectrum, including the important bass.
And fairly-priced for what you get -- and beautiful to see, built like tanks, too, compared to the Denons. Yes I had several pair of Denons -- sold them and kept the V4.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should check out the new Headphile V4 Terminators.
Most excellent SQ in ALL of the sound spectrum, including the important bass.
And fairly-priced for what you get -- and beautiful to see, built like tanks, too, compared to the Denons. Yes I had several pair of Denons -- sold them and kept the V4.

I have considered that. Really, all I really want is a more refined version of the 770s, since I love their sound. Is the soundstage larger than on stock 770s?

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WRT to differences in pads what you seeing is the variation in the production of individual pads. Each and every one made by young Chinese hands in God knows what conditions have their own special shape and size and stitching pattern. I've handled hundreds of these pads now, they're all unique little snow-flakes.
wink.gif

It's a shame, but I must agree with this...
I just got my D7000 today, and I'm totally happy with sound they produce. I found them, to be much different then D5000 which I tried before. Bass is not that boomy, treble have better extension and overall offer more details. The headphones sound clearer, opened, not muddy...even that they are not burned yet
biggrin.gif

But...bad thing is...that in my example the pads haven't got the same shape. Right one is about 1/3 thinner than the left one...it's looks silly. And now I am thinking about sending them back for replacement
frown.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

The W5000s are now off of my list. I read several reviews that all said they were great "except for the bass", and even one that specifically said the bass was weak compared to my DT770 Pro/80s. Bas is too important to me to give it up (that is one of the reasons I am selling my K701s.)

I think you'll find that a lot of cans have weak bass compared to the DT770.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 29
I have a D7000, a fully Markl modded D5000 and a W5000.

To me the mids and highs are clearest on the W5000, and noticieably better on the D7000 than the D5000. For bass, there is no contest, and I don't have a fitting problem with the W5000,except that they center extends and touches my ears. Bass on the 7000 is not quite as tight as on the 5000, but goes deeper (pretty rare).

Keep trying, I got the D7000 for $594, including shipping, from AudioAllies (now out of stock of course). and they were worth it.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

I visited J&R immediately after reading this. They do not carry Denon headphones at all. I have yet to find the D7000s for less than $1000 anywhere, including ebay. The W5000s, however, are available for $700 (which is $1000 below retail!)

They do indeed carry the D7000 and a number of other Denon products. Link

Though unfortunetly its back to its retail price. For a bit over a week they had them on sale for $599. Must of been a popular item. All hope is not lost though. If the markup is enough that they could discount them $400 and still turn a reasonable profit the MSRP wont last long. The W5000 can be bought on the bay for around 5-$600 pretty regularly. I dont think anyone actually asks for over a grand for it anymore.

Jan 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really unlucky MS3 =(. Just got mine a few days ago and the pads are fine. You should definitely get them fixed.

Thanks...I got new pair today...and the pads are ok
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back