Sealeed VS Open for EDM
Oct 8, 2014 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ozyx

Head-Fier
Hello,

I've read that as a general rule open headphones are better than closed ones (isolation is not an issue). Is this true for EDM music as well?

Would something like the Fidelio X1/X2 perform better than equivalently priced closed headphones for EDM?

Thanks

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 11
Open headphones tend to have better comfort and sound stage but worse bass impact than closed headphones.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 11
The open backed headphones will still be the better of the two with EDM, but the difference between the two types will not be so marked as with a live performance, for instance.

Closed back has come a long way in recent years though, but if isolation is not required you may as well go open. And in a few years your tastes might change anyway, making the open variety more versatile.

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 11
  Open headphones tend to have better comfort and sound stage but worse bass impact than closed headphones.

Thanks. What would be more important for EDM? I like a "proper" amount of bass, as long as it is tight and it doesn't come to the expense of clarity. Should I be looking at open or closed headphones?

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 11
  The open backed headphones will still be the better of the two with EDM, but the difference between the two types will not be so marked as with a live performance, for instance.

Closed back has come a long way in recent years though, but if isolation is not required you may as well go open. And in a few years your tastes might change anyway, making the open variety more versatile.

Thanks. What are the best open headphones for EDM that sound good with a mobile device / computer, without the need for an additional amp/ dac?

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 11

Thanks. What would be more important for EDM? I like a "proper" amount of bass, as long as it is tight and it doesn't come to the expense of clarity. Should I be looking at open or closed headphones?

What would be more important in your opinion? You shouldn't really ask for opinions form others unless you really have no opinion of what good sound is to you. Sound preferences are subjective, and what might be good to one might not be good to you. So first, ask yourself: What would be more important for EDM?

In my opinion, I can't allow for thin bass when it comes to EDM. There has to be a lot (and I'm a borderline basshead). No bass in EDM = no fun IMO. I would definitely take closed cans over most open cans, though, since they usually give out more bass impact and bass you can actually feel.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 11
I guess closed?

You should try to find a store where you can listen to some headphones, both closed ones and open ones.
Bring your favorite music.

Do you have a Guitar Center or similar store nearby?

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Fidelio X1 could be good, but not X2, be wary that they sound very different, as far as first ones are being received these days (I'm waiting for mine)

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 11
How about the UE6000? They were on the "Wall of Fame" at innerfidelity and they were compared favorably to ATH-M50 at a time that they were much more expensive. Now their price is under €80. Could these be the best bargain right now? Would they be good for EDM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back