... SEALED VINYL COLLECTION ...
Oct 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

BlazingArrow74

100+ Head-Fier
... For those of us who enjoy vinyl, I thought it would be interesting to see what we have in-the-way-of factory sealed records: untapped, ambiguous potential and value appreciatior ... We should list what we have; maybe if the response is adquate, start another thread for trading in For Sale / Trade Forums ... {^..~} ... I'll start:

-- Woody Shaw: Stepping Stones, Live At The Village Vanguard (1978)
-- Heatwave: Too Hot To Handle (1976)
-- Steely Dan: Aja (early, limited edition pressing) (1977)
-- Curtis Mayfield: Got To Find A Way (1974)
-- Seals & Crofts: Greatest Hits (1975)

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 21
I honestly don't believe in keeping stuff sealed unless you have more than one copy. It seems pointless to me to have great music (especially when it's the best master) and never listening to it. 

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 21
... Yeah, I know what you mean, however if I have it on Tape/CD, etc., it may be worth keeping the vinyl sealed (at least for as long as you're willing to) just to see what you can get for it: a kind of 'rainy-day' train-of-thought ... It can always be opened & played whenever too ... There's always the dream of meeting a female music fan ,similar in interests to myself, and being able to save a sealed album for a special occasion, or as a conversation starter ... Or maybe I'm floating in an abyss ... {^..^}

... I came across a few sealed copies of albums I already heard / have one another format, on-the-cheap, and just want to keep them sealed for the time-being: maybe to trade for another sealed album I want more ? ... See The Logic ? ... Haha, maybe not, but thanks for chiming in ...

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 21
Most records, even sealed ones aren't worth very much. Even sealed they're only worth a buck or two, especially ones that have remained in print since the LP era.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 21
... I agree Big, they probably aren't worth very much; and in a lot of cases, the remaster / CD will sound better ... However, they can sell for very much: especially rare-ish items ... Also, it does seem to be rare to find a sealed vinyl LP from before 1980 ... If nothing else, I think it's just cool ...

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 21
Keep it sealed. It's not a very good record.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 21
Deep Purple - The Book Of Taliesyn
Deep Purple - Concerto for Group and Orchestra
Venom - The Seven Gates Of Hell (The Singles 1980-1986)
Metallica - Jump In The Fire

I'm saving them for when I make the plunge into a ~$1000 turntable.  Also, I'm trying to collect Mach I and Mach II era Deep Purple sealed records, it's tricky, but fun.

Oct 18, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 21
... Very nice SamSquanch ... Fan of Trailer Park Boys ? ... Haha ... I don't know what I'm saving mine for just-yet; but for some reason it just feels right for now ... I had a sealed copy of Michael Jackson's Off The Wall that I opened like a dummy b/c I just needed to hear it: and: it was underwhelming compared to the 2001 cassette version I have ... Maybe it's just a bad pressing ? ... Oh well ...

... I think it's a good idea to hold on to certain records until you get your setup straight ... If you're a novice like me, you never quite know if you're causing groove damage; so for most records: go nuts ... But for the precious ones: I think the patience will pay-off ...

... Wow, I'd love to hear Book of Taliesyn[size=small] !![/size]

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #11 of 21
Late 70s/early 80s vinyl isn't very good. They were recycling vinyl back then. 50s and 60s is much better.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:
... Very nice SamSquanch ... Fan of Trailer Park Boys ? ... Haha ... I don't know what I'm saving mine for just-yet; but for some reason it just feels right for now ... I had a sealed copy of Michael Jackson's Off The Wall that I opened like a dummy b/c I just needed to hear it: and: it was underwhelming compared to the 2001 cassette version I have ... Maybe it's just a bad pressing ? ... Oh well ...

... I think it's a good idea to hold on to certain records until you get your setup straight ... If you're a novice like me, you never quite know if you're causing groove damage; so for most records: go nuts ... But for the precious ones: I think the patience will pay-off ...

... Wow, I'd love to hear Book of Taliesyn[size=small] !![/size]

Yup big fan of Trailer Park Boys, just finished watching the whole series again for probably the 10th time or so.

Sealed vinyl is also sort of a crap shoot, when chain record stores were still selling vinyl, they would sometimes re-shrink records.  I've read horror stories of people picking up super rare albums still sealed, to go home, open them to find dirty scratch albums.  Also remember that vinyl wasn't factory sealed until the early 60's, so if you pick up a shrink wrapped album from the 50's, such as Elvis or something like that, be very cautious.  Also, I don't think that British labels ever sealed their vinyl back before cd's (if someone has a definitive time frame on this, it would be cool to know).

I have a nice opened copy of Book of Taliesyn that I play fairly frequently, and while I'm stoked to one day christen a nice turntable with that album, I'm more stoked on Concerto for Group and Orchestra, it's one of my favorite records of all time.  I was super stoked when my roommate, who works at a used record store, called me and said they had a sealed copy come in.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 21
In 50 years our jaws would be on the ground at the mere thought of someone owning a vinyl, let alone an original sealed one, I would hang on to them as a way to pay for headphones in the future if they become worth anything, perhaps get a pair of JH16s with 16 actual drivers (not sure what the point would be, but sounds amazing none the less).

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #14 of 21
Late 70s/early 80s vinyl isn't very good. They were recycling vinyl back then. 50s and 60s is much better.

Yeah that kind of sucks for me because my R&R/pop preferences are right there from a chronological perspective. At least I like other genres as well, and the jazz pressings (for example) that I have from that same era don't seem to have these same issues.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #15 of 21
In 50 years our jaws would be on the ground at the mere thought of someone owning a vinyl, let alone an original sealed one,

I have a batch of "new old stock" 78s that are 100 years old. I think I paid something like two bucks a disk for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back