Sealed phones and ear damage
Oct 31, 2006 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tomasini

New Head-Fier
objectively, does open phones cause less ear damage then one closed? I read about pressure and that sound have no way out......

P.S. - for listen mp3 on my PC, what have better sound: Senn HD201 or Pioneer SE-M380

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 6
Open phones can be just as bad as closed phones, which can be just as bad as iBuds.

The style of the phone doesn't matter. What matters is the moving air that hits your eardrum. Someone can blow out their ears wearing Grado's, whereas someone else can have completely unharmed hearing wearing IEM's. If you listen at a respectable and safe volume level, what phone you use won't matter.

Aditya

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 6
I really think that it is the opposite, A closed can does provide more isolation, so in theory you don't have to turn it up as loud to overcome the ambient noise in the room. As far as your ears are concerned , they just care about the total sound pressure level (dB).

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Hearing damage is caused by 2 things:

1) Exposure to "excessive" SPL.
2) Time of exspure to excessive SPL.

So, its loud noise over time that cause it. It does not matter if its from a closed, open, IEM... it can be cars driving by or jet engines overhead.

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

I really think that it is the opposite, A closed can does provide more isolation

Very true, when you use a closed headphone, especially if you are generally around noisy areas, you listen to much lower volumes than you would with say a Grado.

But if its in a quiet room, then its not going to be much different and the damage caused is related to what kramer said.

Quote:

1) Exposure to "excessive" SPL.
2) Time of exspure to excessive SPL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back