Sealed cans for around $200
Feb 18, 2005 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

GuardianKnight

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am looking for my first step into mid-fi cans for around $200. I want to have a pair of headphones that is closed since so far I have obtained only open cans (MS-1 and ATH-CM7Ti). Portability would be a nice plus but not a necessity (unless they are could totally replace the ATH-CM7Ti that I am using right now(i.e. being small but having higher quality sound)). I mainly listen to a lot of j-rock, j-pop, and electronica with some classical mixed in. I just recently ordered a stock SuperMacro amp with 4 switches and 2x buffers which should be coming in next week to complement my Carbon as a portable amp. Looking through the threads I have found that the Senn HD 25(seems like this one is pretty portable out of all the rest in the list), AKG K271, Beyer DT660, or the Audio Technica A900 would fit my needs. Now I just have to decide which one to get which is where you guys would come in to hopefully lend me helpful suggestions.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 19
I enjoy the K271, but it gets a lot of mixed reviews around here, so you'd be best trying it out before you buy, I think. They are a bit light on the bass, but maybe the supermacro's bass boost would help that.

I also use them portably, but I am kinda weird in that regard.

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 19
Beyer DT 770's at Guitar Center, meets the bill.
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 19
K271 Studio are great, but most people have a love or hate reaction to them so you should try them out first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 19
Another vote goes to A900. It's a very good, detailed and accomodates various types of music.

Feb 18, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 19
I am a member of Team "I-Hate-A900s"

Reason?
Because they just aren't good! They are INCREDIBLY over-hyped. They have sound characteristics that seem similar to the HD595s, which are, again, not a very good headphone.

Midrange is just so incredibly grainy, thin - it's not romantic nor lush. The result is pretty good bass response with really wierd-sounding highs.

They are comfortable, but don't isolate well, which defeats the purpose of closed cans. Details are good, but the K271S have better details than the A900s.

The clarity, detail, and midrange is all unbeatable. Mid-bass impact is also nice, and it makes my classic rock music exciting enough for me.

Just my thoughts.

By the way: You will never, EVER see a post from commando that doesn't mention the A900s
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 19
add 1 more for the A900's. very happy with them. great sound for most types of music.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 19
I'm new to this world of hi-fi headphones, but I couldn't be more than pleased with my A900s. I've had them for about a month (burned them in ~100 hours over the first week), and (to my ears) they sound wonderful. When not playing music, they don't seem to isolate too well, but with music even at low levels the outside world disappears. It's great!

I'm listening to them right now....on my brand new Sony D-211!
280smile.gif
I thought Duncan might like to hear that. I still can't believe there was a pile of new in-the-box 211s out there!

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #13 of 19
Man...I wish I lived in a more populated area where people actually held meets so I could try these phones out easily. I guess the only way I can try them out is by ordering them and returning the ones I don't like (but I really don't have enough money to do so). I think I will check out the local guitar center and see if they have any of the phones on display...they probably won't though...sigh
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Because they just aren't good! They are INCREDIBLY over-hyped. They have sound characteristics that seem similar to the HD595s, which are, again, not a very good headphone.

Hey hey, get your a900 away from my 595 !
biggrin.gif

Btw - no offense or hidden revenge =) but I found a900 to exhibit fewer flaws compared to 271s. I don't like the recessed mids on 900 but could live with them better than having combo of boosted mids over relatively weaker bass. But that's my preference of hearing more balanced sound over certain area of strength - just like hfi550 vs hd25. With price thrown in, 271s have the advantage on price/performance basis.

GuardianKnight, seems like HD25 would be a safer bet on sealed phones and would be useful if you occasionally need portable phones. A900, 271s and hfi550 are not quite portable and 271s would benefit from more amplification compared to others. Of these 3 big phones I heard, I prefer the lowly hfi550 but still curious about beyer dt660 et al. Another biggie, senn hd280, also seem to be a popular choice, and priced below $100.

Feb 18, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #15 of 19
Hrmm...I think I found a promising deal on the AKG K271S, $149.99 at djmart.com. I think I will just nab it from there and try it out, headphile has a cable upgrade for them so I will have an opportunity to enhance them in the future easily by myself if I wish to do so, otherwise I will sell them if I don't like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back