Seal Problems on an S4
Dec 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nestor

100+ Head-Fier
Sit around the camp-fire kids, it's time for a story. About two weeks ago, Uncle Nestor was leaving engineering 103 when, as I'm walking along, I notice a jumble of black wire on the ground. Recognizing them as headphones, I pick them up and immediately look around, asking everyone I see if they lost any. Without any such luck, I take a closer look at them. There's a chevron on the side of the driver housing, but that's about all I notice at first. Imagine my surprise when I find the word "Klipsch" on the side of the driver housing.

So, fast-forward through two weeks of use, and I've got a problem. The gel tips on the S4 don't quite sit right in my ear, and I've been having particular trouble with the one in my right ear. If I push the tip too deeply into my ear, it will sound odd and also make odd plastic noises as it slowly slips out of my ear canal. But on the other hand, if I put it in loosely it will sound fine, but will just fall right out of my ear if I move my head at all. It's extremely frustrating, especially because of those one in ten times that I actually do get the thing to fit right for a while - the S4 sounds amazing!

I've had this problem before, both with my CX300's and when using standard foam earplugs, but never this bad. Not even close! I'm wondering if I should try other size tips, or double flange, or even foam tips. Help?

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 3
I find that mine fit much more securely upside down with the wires around my ears. Shure olives have also worked for me.

Dec 14, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 3
Edit

After taking some advice from ClieOS' IEM guide that's stickied to this forum (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/f...phones-310723/), the fit is better, but still not quite right. And it does nothing to help noise attenuation. Anyone have much experience with swapping tips on an S4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back