Seal? - New ATH-A900X's
Jan 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Z Naught

New Head-Fier
I just got new ATH-A900Xs and am a bit disappointed in the seal. My ATH-M50s that I upgraded from provided a better seal and thus a fuller sound.

Certainly the sound quality of the A900Xs is better, however, to get the full sound that I am used to I need to give them a little more pressure and push them up a bit. The bass has more punch, but doesn't feel as full. The seal is slightly broken below my ears at the jawline.

Is there anything I can do to improve the seal? Any tips?

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #2 of 6
  I just got new ATH-A900Xs and am a bit disappointed in the seal. My ATH-M50s that I upgraded from provided a better seal and thus a fuller sound.
Certainly the sound quality of the A900Xs is better, however, to get the full sound that I am used to I need to give them a little more pressure and push them up a bit. The bass has more punch, but doesn't feel as full. The seal is slightly broken below my ears at the jawline.
Is there anything I can do to improve the seal? Any tips?

Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping.
Better seal and more firmly holds the headphones to the sides of your head.

Jan 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 6
  Hifiman Velour ear pads, $10+shipping.
Better seal and more firmly holds the headphones to the sides of your head.

Thanks again for the suggestion on these headphones!

Are you pretty confident in those solving the problem? Should I consider returning these cans?

Also, I mentioned later in that last thread that I will be building the Objective 2 Amp. Here is to hoping there will be even more improvement.

For reference: I have velour pads on my ATH-M50s, not quite as good of a seal as the original pleather pads.

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 6
  Thanks again for the suggestion on these headphones!
Are you pretty confident in those solving the problem? Should I consider returning these cans?
Also, I mentioned later in that last thread that I will be building the Objective 2 Amp. Here is to hoping there will be even more improvement.
For reference: I have velour pads on my ATH-M50s, not quite as good of a seal as the original pleather pads.

During the first month I owned the A900X I was really considering returning them.
The wings did not hold up the headphones well enough and they would slide down and rest on top of my ears.
Found that if you tie down the wings (toward the cups) for long periods of time (over night a few times) it make the wings work better.
After a few months I started to like them a lot more, now I wear them more then my other headphones.
There is a chance the O2 will improve the A900Xs, over what you use now to drive the headphones.
I did prefer to use my O2 to drive the A900Xs (now use my NFB-15.32).

Jan 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 6
  During the first month I owned the A900X I was really considering returning them.
The wings did not hold up the headphones well enough and they would slide down and rest on top of my ears.
Found that if you tie down the wings (toward the cups) for long periods of time (over night a few times) it make the wings work better.
After a few months I started to like them a lot more, now I wear them more then my other headphones.
There is a chance the O2 will improve the A900Xs, over what you use now to drive the headphones.
I did prefer to use my O2 to drive the A900Xs (now use my NFB-15.32).

I will give the strings a shot.

As for the velour pads, will that largely fix the problem without changing the sound signature significantly?

Jan 24, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #6 of 6

I will give the strings a shot.

As for the velour pads, will that largely fix the problem without changing the sound signature significantly?

Does not have to be strings, just do whatever it takes to hold the wings down.

I myself did not notice much of a change in the audio.
But you can ask here what others think of their A900Xs (with Hifiman Velour ear pads).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650785/audio-technica-ath-a900x-appreciation-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back